Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trailer suggestions  (Read 1781 times)

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Trailer suggestions
« on: February 28, 2019, 11:03:47 AM »

I'm looking to buy a trailer for long trips with my bike. Looking for thoughts of wisdom and hind site from your purchases. 1 piece roof, 16" oc floor and walls, 3/4 plywood floor,,,, what else? Thinking 14', maybe 16'. Also think 7' wide. Have a Chev Suburban 1500 to pull with. Figure 1 bike normally but, don't want to lock myself into only 1.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Re: Trailer suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 10:32:58 PM »

Only change I would make to your thoughts is I would buy 8.5 wide. I have owned both 8.5 and 7 and as you go to strapping your bike or bikes down that extra 1.5' is sure nice as you work around them.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »

If you're going to use it for long haul, you might want to consider something more light weight and a little more aerodynamic like the Ironhorse trailers.....  http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/motorcycle-trailers/widebody-motorcyle-trailer/

I would also sugges, insted of using tie downs and wheel chocks going with the B&W Biker Bar.  Many of us full time RVers use the Biker Bar and I have been ocean to ocean twice.  You can do a search on this forum for CVO owners that use it but here is a video..... 

All of this makes it light weight, fast and easy on the gas.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 08:56:42 AM »

If you're going to use it for long haul, you might want to consider something more light weight and a little more aerodynamic like the Ironhorse trailers.....  http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/motorcycle-trailers/widebody-motorcyle-trailer/

I'll second JC's recommendation of iron horse.  They are just down the road from us in McMinnville, TN.  Very nice folks, great facility and I really like their trailer design.  They are not inexpensive compared to standard wood and/or aluminum transport trailers.

Saw the biker bar operate at Sturgis in 2017.  Some may not like them but the demonstration sold me...sorta like how I bought my first Bushtec in 1994, the demo sold me.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:47:59 AM »

Although I have a Pace low hauler that it will fit in my garage if I had to buy another I would definitely buy a Iron Horse. I disagree on using a biker bar for tie down. The plywood floor is just not strong enough to support all the bikes weight in one small footprint if an accident were to happen. You do need a Condor or similar rideon chock . Hallmark make some nice flat top low hauler trailers that are motorcycle grade but remember 6 ft wide low hauler is almost the same width and height as your 1500, 7 foot wide sticks out in the Wind extra height sticks up in the Wind  an eight and a half foot wide sticks way out in the Wind on both sides. Both our Escalade and Denali Tow my 6 by 12 pace and get 15 Mile a gallon plus. Any bigger trailer mileage goes down.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 09:50:28 PM »

http://www.stealthtrailer.com/

This the brand we bought. Got a 7x14 and it works great for 2 street glides, pulls nice behind our 2012 Silverado 1/2 ton.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 25 queries.