Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What starter is on a 04 pumpkin stock from the factory  (Read 2650 times)

CVOjunkie

• cvojunkie
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
What starter is on a 04 pumpkin stock from the factory
« on: January 12, 2012, 03:09:40 PM »

I think it is a 1.4 kw is this correct?

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: What starter is on a 04 pumpkin stock from the factory
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 03:25:29 PM »

correct

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »

Do you need one or an extra??
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:32:47 AM by 110 Mofo »

CVOjunkie

• cvojunkie
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »

I was just wondering because I am going to replace my starter clutch it keeps kicking out while cranking and have already replaced the compensators and battery but I could always use another to get chromed? Thanks

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:44:59 PM »

I think mine is going bad. I have a "newer" battery and this summer I had to carry a small hammer with me to "tunk" the starter on days above 90 degrees. It wouldnt crank otherwise after being ridden and shut off. How much should I expect to pay for a new starter?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »

I think mine is going bad. I have a "newer" battery and this summer I had to carry a small hammer with me to "tunk" the starter on days above 90 degrees. It wouldnt crank otherwise after being ridden and shut off. How much should I expect to pay for a new starter?

Before you spend $430 MSRP for a new 1.4KW starter ($530 chrome), you may want to get the current one checked out.  You may have nothing more serious than a high resistance electrical connection due to the cables (they are known to corrode and slowly rot inside the insulation) or just poor connections in general.  I realize we live in an age of parts changers versus real technicians, but if you can find a real tech it shouldn't take long to diagnose your problem.  There is nothing more frustrating than replacing an expensive part and then finding the real problem was a bad connection or cable, or a simple overrunning clutch or solenoid switch, etc. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »

If it needs a clutch, is that something that Harley sells?  I have a chrome starter on my 04 and its starting to act up when hot.   Is it a toght part tp change out???  I need Jerry for this one,,, :P

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »

Hey Stu, the one way clutch is by far the most common problem with the otherwise very dependable Nippon Denso starters.  Harley sells a repair kit for $113 MSRP, P/N 31516-94, that includes some extra parts most folks don't need, or you can do like I did and buy just the clutch from one of the many places on ebay selling Harley starter clutches.  I spent $45 including shipping for just the clutch, and it's been working better than the original.  There are some places hawking supposed lifetime warrantied replacements for a lot more money, but IMHO what you're paying all that extra for isn't really a better clutch, the higher price is what makes the "free" warranty replacements possible. 

The actual replacement isn't all that difficult, but on the '06 and earlier models you do have to remove the outer primary in order to remove the starter from the bike (to remove the jackshaft bolt).  If you don't have a manual or previous experience taking a starter assembly apart, you can find exploded view drawings online.  These starters are also used on Toyota's and other automobiles, btw.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 09:51:44 AM »

Thanks Jerry. You are the best. Really do appreciate it.  :2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »

Hey Stuart, let us know when you put the 'fix' on the B&B SEEG.  tks.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »

Sure will Spy. Was out in the cold today and I know it's coming soon.   I hate that noise.  Maybe in the next week or so.  :'(

hogasm

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 06:41:05 PM »

Before you spend $430 MSRP for a new 1.4KW starter ($530 chrome), you may want to get the current one checked out.  You may have nothing more serious than a high resistance electrical connection due to the cables (they are known to corrode and slowly rot inside the insulation) or just poor connections in general.  I realize we live in an age of parts changers versus real technicians, but if you can find a real tech it shouldn't take long to diagnose your problem.  There is nothing more frustrating than replacing an expensive part and then finding the real problem was a bad connection or cable, or a simple overrunning clutch or solenoid switch, etc. 

Jerry

Jerry I had a pair of 250 Mercury Optimax's on my donzi that kept giving me little problems. the tech that kept working on them under warranty just kept replacing parts. Seemed like every other trip out on the boat, it would go back into the shop. Got pissed off at them and replaced them with the new 250 Verado's......on the first trip out they needed to go into the shop, where they could not find anything wrong with them. The only thing I had not replaced on the boat  was the battery cables....while pulling them out from under the deck they split in half. The cables had been spliced by the factory under the deck and the cables were swelled to the size of your arm.
Long story short....wish I had replaced the cables, cheaper than new motors, and I liked the Optimax's alot better :coolblue:

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 10:31:05 PM »

Jerry
Good advice, Thanks!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 10:01:23 PM »

I had a new clutch put in last week,, I bought one from MES..  I had a leak from the inner primary so it was a good time to have it done...  So far so good.  nice and quiet in there when I go start the bike,,, That grinding nboise can get a bit embarrasing too.   And its dry under there when i park it too,,   thas issue was the main seal..   All new seals and gaskets on and around the primary so I am good now.  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 25 queries.