Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: FXSTSSE3 - Custom project  (Read 29625 times)

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '15 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
FXSTSSE3 - Custom project
« on: August 27, 2009, 06:46:22 AM »

Hello,

I looking to go ahead with the mods below.

Have you any feedback regarding the Heartland fender? If someone of you have replaced the stock fender by the Heartland I would appreciate if you could post a pic of your ride.

Any comment or suggestion about the project?

TIA Lolo

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:59:56 PM by Lolo »

Sinker

• Junior CVO Member
Re: FXSTSSE3 - Custom project - V&H Big Radius 2:2 + Heartland rear fender
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:58:14 AM »

That looks good Lolo.  I like the back fender.

Sinker

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »

I had them send me a brochure. I was thinking about doing the same thing. Their kit is suppose to be a bolt on with no modifications. The cost is a little high but anything you do costs. If you decide let us know how it comes out with pictures.....Jeff
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:35:41 AM »

Hope to be able to order only the fender because currently their catalog http://www.heartlandbiker.com/2009Catalog-HeartlandUSA.pdf and price list http://www.heartlandbiker.com/2009Retail.pdf do not reference only the fender because it is included in their 250 kit.

What is interesting to me is that they provide a solution to support a removable sissy/passenger seat. Do you know another company providing such a solution?

Quiet Pro

• Live Free & Ride Hard

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3, Black Diamond & Emerald Flames
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:21:05 PM »

I wanted to do the exact same thing to my 09 so I emailed Heartland direct a while back.  They told me that they would sell me the kit to fit my bike, minus the seat since they don't make a seat to fit the 09 springer.  Cost was $1550 for the fender, struts and rock guard.  However, same as you, I also wanted the second seat that they have available to fit perfectly over their rear fender.  I asked if I could order the second seat, minus the upholstery, and they said no prob.  Still pretty expensive at $650.  The reason I wanted it with no upholstery is because I was going to have to have a custom solo seat made to fit the bike with the new fender anyway and it just makes sense to have both seats designed and upholstered to match at the same time.  The guy I was corresponding with at Heartland was Lonny Spiva, info@heartlandbiker.com
Hope this helps and let us know how it works out.  Most importantly, let us know how much the whole process costs!
2009 FXSTSSE3
V & H Big Radius 2-in-2 Pipes
Power Commander

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 04:44:37 PM »

I wanted to do the exact same thing to my 09 so I emailed Heartland direct a while back.  They told me that they would sell me the kit to fit my bike, minus the seat since they don't make a seat to fit the 09 springer.  Cost was $1550 for the fender, struts and rock guard.  However, same as you, I also wanted the second seat that they have available to fit perfectly over their rear fender.  I asked if I could order the second seat, minus the upholstery, and they said no prob.  Still pretty expensive at $650.  The reason I wanted it with no upholstery is because I was going to have to have a custom solo seat made to fit the bike with the new fender anyway and it just makes sense to have both seats designed and upholstered to match at the same time.  The guy I was corresponding with at Heartland was Lonny Spiva, info@heartlandbiker.com
Hope this helps and let us know how it works out.  Most importantly, let us know how much the whole process costs!

Hi Vin :-)

Thanks for your great info! I've ask my local dealer about the feasibility and a cotation of the mods 3 weeks ago but still no feedback from Heartland he told me. Interesting to have your reference cotation, because importing parts in EU tend to insanely inflate the final price. So I'll keep you informed as soon as I'll receive a cotation.

And you what about your mods? Did you finally go ahead with it? What kind of solo seat have you selected? On your pic it seams that your ride's fender is still stock. If you have made it could you post some pics?

Thank you in advance for your tips & pics

Greetings from Switzerland

Laurent

Quiet Pro

• Live Free & Ride Hard

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:41:29 PM »

Laurent,
If I were you I would try to contact Heartland directly and bypass your local H-D dealership.  This would be the best way to convey exactly what you want done to your bike and if they can accomodate you at Heartland.  I have not done anything with my bike yet due to the high cost of such a project, the inevitable downtime of the bike during the process, and the fact that I am in the middle of trying to fit a tach from the '08 onto the handlebars of my '09.  This project alone has kept me busy and my wallet drained.  The fender and new seats will have to wait.  I did find a pic of someone that did something similar to their bike.  Check it out.
2009 FXSTSSE3
Power Commander

Quiet Pro

• Live Free & Ride Hard

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 04:33:03 PM »

Actually, I did really want to do exactly what you said to the Rocker C but I had motorheads and H-D reps alike telling me that it would be nearly impossible to put a springer front end on and make it ride smooth.  From my own research I've found that it all has to do with an equation to balance the trail with a bunch of other stuff that I know nothing about.  I'm guessing that it can be done, but I'm sure that it would cost a mint.  We're definitely on the same wavelength, though.  Don't get me wrong, I like the bobtail fender.  I just think that a drag fender really showcases that fat back tire a lot better than the bobtail.  What did you think of the drag bars on that custom?  Not really sure if I like those, some mini apes, or the stock bars.  I have stock ones now and I am a bit weary of trading them out just because I don't want to get stuck with a set that isn't comfortable.  I think I just need to put some more miles on her to get a feel for it.
2009 FXSTSSE3
Power Commander

sixstringer99

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 06:42:49 PM »

I saw that part of the mod project was going with new baffles from Big City Thunder QBL 1845, I am going to do the same thing with my Big Radius 2 into 2 exhaust.  How did you like the sound and performance after the switch?  I am curious if it will be louder or quieter than the V&H stock baffles.  The stock baffles are a little loud for everyday riding for me.

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 06:27:44 PM »

Hello all,

To keep you posted on my project status:

Exhaust:

The first mod was the replacement of the stock exhaust by a pair of V&H 2-2 Big radius. This was done in last October.

Quiet baffles:

After the initial "waow" effect of new V&H, I definitely confirm that these pipes are way too loud, at least for us here in Europe. So I've ordered the BCT quite baffle (https://bigcitythunder.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=10&cat=Quality+Quiet+Thunder+Monster+Baffles+Part+%23QBL1845) and expect to receive them and mount it by mid March. I'll post a video on Youtube for comparison between stock / V&H no baffle / V&H with quiet baffle.

Heartland kit:

As suggested by Quiet Pro I've tried to get in touch with Heartland... but with absolutely no success  >:( I've send them mails, in the US and in Australia, using their online quote form, strictly no feedback at all... Not really a customer oriented company. Pretty disappointing, for the list price of their stuff I guess an email of feedback at least just to confirm that the EZ Rocker kit fits the FXSTSSE3 would not have ruined the company  :(.

I was interested in, still interested in, getting the full kit including all options such as the Sissy bar, the rack&ride&rest and the bag. After having looking for eMerchands on the Net reselling Heartland, I finally get a really cool contact with Le Jon Sifford at www.fullmoonmotorsports.com. Le Jon was more than helpful and customer oriented with me. Not only he answered all my questions my mail/phone about the kit, confirming that the EZ Rocker kit fits the FXSTSSE3 (except the solo seat) but in more he proposed me a very attractive price for the whole package minus the seat. Unfortunately I did no go ahead with Le Jon because I had the chance to find a used kit locally here in Switzerland.

So currently my bike is at my local dealer shop and the kit is being pre-mounted before the painting. I hope to post pictures soon.

Greetings    Lolo
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:33:54 PM by Lolo »

Harpoon

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 10:45:03 AM »

Laurent!
I am looking forward to seeing how the rearfender kit looks with an alternative seat tha the Heartland one, are You using the stock seat?
2008 CVO Springer

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 07:20:31 AM »

Harpoon,

I haven't found an alternative seat yet, I was looking for a Danny Gray seat but there is no available for the FXSTSSE3. So we will try to adapt the Heartland one. The stock seat is not usable with the kit because it doesn't fill well the lower side near the struts and rear side on top/back of the fender.

Greetings   Laurent

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 07:41:04 AM »

Here are some pics of the Heartland kit being pre-fit on the FXSTSSE3 before painting. You will notice that the rock guard fits on this bike as well, but the Heartland seat needs some modifications. The tail light is a flexible LED tube such as the one provided by Radiantz. The fender and rock guard will be brushed and painted to match the yellow fury original painting, same flames as on the stock fender will be applied on the side and top of the new fender.

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 07:48:15 AM »

Zoom on rear end

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 07:51:22 AM »

Here you see that the Heartland seat do not fit in the front and can not be easily adapted.

A custom seat pan in fiberglass is being molded to perfectly adapt the rear fender and the front metal fixture of the original seat will be reused to make sure the new seat is tightly hold at the base of the tank.

How to create a seat pan from Danny Gray site : http://www.dannygray.com/Support/seat_pan_instructions.pdf

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:16:20 PM by Lolo »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 25 queries.