Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Riser Install  (Read 1980 times)

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Riser Install
« on: November 07, 2012, 11:13:42 AM »

I am wanting to raise my bars a bit on my 2012 and am looking at the Fat Boy Riser that Harley sells to accomplish this.  Part# is: 56929-10.  Has anyone else done this or used a different riser?  I only need a couple of inches of height.  It seems that their is plenty of slack in the internal handlebar wiring, and enough for the hydraulic clutch line, but the brake line will be too short.

I have been trying to find brake lines, but mainly find a lot of kits and I really only want one similar to the current one, but with the necessary three inches, give or take, difference necessary.  Drag Specialites has them, but a pain to get through their antiquated system and they try to reference stock line lengths which the Convertible, nor any CVOs for that matter, are mentioned. 

I think I know the answer to this reading the forum, but it seems replacing that line will also require the ABS to be put back on a computer and calibrated as well.

Thanks for the information.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
Re: Riser Install
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »

i just put a set of riser on my 2010  model  rode my bike  1 block back to my Indy and said to him i cant stand seeing the wiring harness exposed like that in the open ...my OEM riser covered the harness aftermarket doesn't so it  makes the bike look terrible and also there wasn't enough cable length
so now I'm using OEM riser and aftermarket bars   bought a set of Flanders bars  they come 1/1/4 inch diam that my bike needs  also having to buy 4 new cables   2 of them will have custom ends on them (hydraulic line ) with 90 degrees ends   total cost est. is 800.00 inc labor

your bike with abs those cable i was told are aprox $100.00 each  so that $200.00 just for the abs upper and lower cable
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 03:05:06 PM »

There is no need to replace the lower line, only the one from the MC to the ABS.  The riser I have only covers it from the front and I ride mostly with the "fairing" on the bike.  The riser I was looking at is 4.1" or something like that and our stock is about 1.5" if you measure from the top of the tree to the centerline for the bar clamps.  That is less than three inches difference so the wires should be exposed that much more and the fat riser has the chrome that covers the wires partially from the front.  That is acceptable to me. 

I have thought about replacement bars, but the only one I have found close to looking similar to the lines of the stock bars are the Roland Sands version.  Which I may do instead of the riser to avoid what you are mentioning and to get a better grip angle.   I will keep researching and will eventually figure it out.  I'm just wanting to find a better fit for long trips.

Only 9MM

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »

TxDrifter.........If you change out your bars I would be interested in buying the stock bars. Let me know.
2007 VRSCDX
2008 XL1200N
2009 FXSTC
2010 FLSTSE
2011 XL1200n

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 08:32:41 PM »

I only mention the lower line cause it may or may not match your lines with style and color(afterparts sometimes don't look the same as OEM stuff)  when you change them also make sure you have plenty of space when your bars are turn hard left and right
 my riser i tried was approx the same yours and my cables where to short and wouldn't fit in OEM cable mounts and my Indy felt it clutch/brake was too tight when the bars are turned in either direction

I'm kinda picky i want my stuff to match and look topshelf  but hey thats me  some folks are not that way

again i will post pics as soon  as bike is done  (this week) I hope
thanks Lever

2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »

I haven't decided yet and it might be awhile before I make up my mind.  Lever, I'm with you on it matching and I have found a couple that seem to match the stock lines.

Only 9MM

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 04:54:42 PM »

I'm a patient guy and you have my email........ :) It would help you defray the cost :orange:
2007 VRSCDX
2008 XL1200N
2009 FXSTC
2010 FLSTSE
2011 XL1200n

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »

I'm a patient guy and you have my email........ :) It would help you defray the cost :orange:

It definitely would.  I will let you know.  I am still researching it.  I haven't found any bars I really like that much other than the original, which is why the riser option.

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.