Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 8017 times)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
Re: Helmets
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2005, 08:55:22 PM »

Given my experience in this matter, thoughts and the fact that I can not read long threats of information...A.D.D.?  I will keep it brief.

On my first bike, I had what could be classified as a serious accident with a girl on the back at the age of 14 years old.  I had over 30 sitches in my head(plastic surgery included), which is why I part my hair in the middle (as seen on the home page), a broken arm and leg...the kicker was neuro damage that took several years to recover.  Bottom Line - the ER Team thought I was a goner.

As for the girl, I did not know her, she was the girl friend of some one I knew.  She suffered with a 5 sitch scar to her chin, skin graphing to assist in some other issues.  Interesting enough, we later went to school together and today their is little to no vision of her scar.

It should be noted that we were NO wearing any protection at the time.  The accident occured due to a dog running from behind some brushes near the road.  I went over the bike head first, Reba was tossed off the back.  

I was rushed to the hospital and I did not even know her name.  My parents were forced to contact my friends parents to gain information regarding Reba's status.

I stayed in the hospital for over a week, my parents refused to let me ride the bike for several months.  After all that, we purchased a helmet and utilized it when they were around.

I live in a state that requires a helmet, however given everything that I posted here believe it is a matter of choice.  As a matter of fact, when I ride it is with a novelty helmet and when in states that do not require one, I take it off.

I would like to think that I have suffered my fatal blow already, however I recognize this may not be the case.

I guess it boils down to personal freedom, responsilbility, knowledge, understanding, willingness.  I do not expect others to pay for my decisions...(other insurers, non-ms owners, etc.)  If I am willing to accept that process, I must be willing to pay that price (insurance premium).

Keeping it short, I will end it here....

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2005, 10:17:42 PM »

I wear one cause I want to.
But sometimes in SC I don't.
Given the choice I probaby will even if not required by law.

LBI-DTW

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2005, 10:25:43 PM »

Michigan is a must wear State.
The law has been in effect for so long that it just natural to put on the lid.
However, I have the understanding that may change this year. We will see.
In any case,
If it does change I will still wear the lid. If others don't that's ok with me.
Freedom of Choice.

LBI-DTW
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.