Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Cool Weather Ride Advice Sought  (Read 6627 times)

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
Cool Weather Ride Advice Sought
« on: October 19, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »

Looking for insight on cool weather riding.  Winter closing in, so I took my '08 Springer out for a 1/2 day ride yesterday (214 miles in 5 hours).  Temperature ranged from high 40's to low 50's.  Some wind.  Partly sunny.  Had on my chaps, FXRG leather coat with the liner and my FXRG gloves.  I wear a 1/2 helmet and my bike has a 14" windshield.  A few weeks ago I was set to go on an overnight trip, expected rain, and bought a full face helmet (after reading the posts on our site).  Never wore it, so I thew it on the luggage rack for my 1/2 day trip thinking I'd try it out.

My route was mostly highway riding (55-70 mph).  I made two stops of 20 minutes or so, one for lunch (and gas) and another at a Harley dealer along the way.  Others were brief, just to get off, stretch and/or hit the head.

MAN, IS IT COLD OUT THERE.  What surprises me is the slow bleed of body heat.  I got home at 5:00; took a full hour before chills left me, a cup of hot tea, 10 minutes under the heater fan in the bathroom, a donut and a chocolate bar.

It was cold on the bike, but I didn't appreciate how cold till I stopped riding.  On a longer trip, I could see how cold could be a real problem if your gear were inadequate and you were between stops.

Observations:

1.  In cool weather, highway riding is going to affect you more than back road riding.  At high speed, the cold finds every nook and cranny to drain your warmth.  Also, you're more stationary on the bike in highway riding.  Wonder if that contributes. 

2.  Eat.  In this case, my only food over the 5 hours was a small hamburger, a diet coke and granola bar.  You need to eat to stay warm.

3.  Longjohns.  Chaps weren't enough over my jeans.  Problem compounded a little because the snaps on my Harley chaps wouldn't stay closed so bottom of my chaps were flapping in the wind.  (You could get killed horsing around making sure your chap snaps aren't banging around on your chrome.)  Long underwear probably a must in cool weather rides of any distance or full leather pants.

4.  Full face helmet.  It made a huge difference in comfort and warmth.  I'm not used to the confinement, limit on field of vision or mute it puts on the sound of the bike, but for comfort, I was glad I had it.  Put it on about 1/2 way home and it was a noticeable improvement in warmth.

I'm not going to buy heated gear or move to the South.  Wondering if there are any tricks (frequency of stops, etc.), to cool/cold weather riding.  Looking for insights.  Picture of my bike along the way (cell phone photo).  Any cold day on the bike beats a warm day on the golf course.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: Cool Weather Ride Advice Sought
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 09:40:50 AM »

RPR50,

Nice bike! Glad to see you aren't letting a little cool weather stand in the way of riding! One of the best things I've done to keep out the drafts and keep warm is to wear either a balaclava or at least a neck gator with my full face helmet. Really cuts down on the wind getting into the jacket. Also, doesn't look like you've got a windshield on your scoot. That makes an incredible difference as well, especially at speed. Get a good detachable model and you can use it when needed.

Just my 2 cents.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 12:00:09 PM »

dont rule out heated gear, keeps my riding in new england until the first time they put sand/salt on the roads nothing like the rush of cold air in your face while your body is all toasty warm
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 12:05:04 PM »

heated gloves would be my only concession

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »

Heated gear is the best thing that has happened to winter riding.

I would love to know what the adversity to the heated gear was, but you can get away with just a jacket

liner and a plug on the bike. If you keep your core temperature up your hands, legs and feet can maintain a comfortable

temperature. 

The cost for a jacket liner is not bad, and you can skip the rheostat temperature control for now (I

actually love the temp control, it keeps me from turning on/off and burning up)

More comfortable riding equals safer riding in my book.

Buy the heated gear!
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 12:54:27 PM »

Go with the heated gear and you can ride till the road freezes.  Gerbing makes everything socks,pants,jackets or liners,glove liners or heated gloves.  They even have battery pack so they work anywhere.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 01:14:18 PM »

I tried the heated gear once a long time ago, I was limited in distance traveled by the extension cords. The kept coming unpluged every 100 feet. ;D ;D
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 08:17:51 PM »

Appreciate your thoughts.  I've got no aversion to heated gear, except. . . . . it's more gear.  Until this ride, I didn't think high 40's/low 50's was cold.  That's what was so surprising.  Maybe I'm a wuss and don't know it.  You guys are making the point.....get heated gear.  I'll look into the liner and the gloves.  Hoping to ride until the salt flies.  Thanks.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »

i find i carry less gear and wear less layers with it, which for me allows more freedom of movement. dont feel like the michelin man

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 09:12:12 PM »

Heated gear is they way to go! :2vrolijk_21: After a MV adventure a couple years ago I decided to get me some when it was 20 something the morning I was coming home! :coolblue: Now, I wonder what took me so long! :nixweiss: Also, layer your self with some good lite under garments that will take the moisture away from your skin and that will keep you warm! You will enjoy the ride and extend your riding season! Good luck and God Bless!

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 05:37:48 AM »

I never thought I'd want/need heated gear with a bagger. I  was in Laconia in 04 and froze my butt off in the mountains while the other guys had heated liner & heated gloves. They had on 1/2 the clothes & 4 times as warm. I have a full set now. I actually had the gloves given to me by my wife 10 years ago but never wore them. Until after this trip. THE MUFFMAN

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 06:00:33 AM »

One of the issues is that we are.............getting older and the tough guy image losses its luster. 25 yrs ago I would NEVER have a windshield on my bike, now I wouldn't dream of not. We, wifey and I, have Kinetsu vests from aerostitch. works great, and we keep several of those hand warmer things on the bikes for in our gloves, boots.
Now you say "but your in Tennessee", we ride up north a lot to the windy city. and 3 yrs ago we left out of here Dec 26 to Padre Island, the snow piled up on the windshield I was glad I had.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »

Heated gear is the best thing that has happened to winter riding.

I would love to know what the adversity to the heated gear was, but you can get away with just a jacket

liner and a plug on the bike. If you keep your core temperature up your hands, legs and feet can maintain a comfortable

temperature. 

The cost for a jacket liner is not bad, and you can skip the rheostat temperature control for now (I

actually love the temp control, it keeps me from turning on/off and burning up)

More comfortable riding equals safer riding in my book.

Buy the heated gear!

Heated gear is the answer. I have a 03 SERK and an 08 SEUC and the Ultra has heated seat and grips together with the lowers I have not needed the heated pants or gloves yet and have been in 38 degrees comfortably. Using a half helmet with a face/neck polar fleece with velcro closure-fits into the jacket and prevents leakage. The windshield is the other key. I bought a Virago when I was back East in February of 1983 and put a vetter fairing (similar to the h-d batwing) and wouldn't be without-and heated gear was not an option back then-just layers. Now I use under armour heavy weight top and bottom and if needed supplement with the Gerbing gear, of course chaps on top as wind break. Did 80 miles yesterday and it was 45 both ways and without the heated gear on the SERK, just winter gloves and the cheap H-D cordura strap on lowers and I was right on the edges of being uncomfortable. With this set up I can ride year round here in Seattle whenever the rain isn't coming down. We usually have our first season ride the end of February-annual leap year ride.

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 09:17:52 AM »

One of the issues is that we are.............getting older and the tough guy image losses its luster. 25 yrs ago I would NEVER have a windshield on my bike, now I wouldn't dream of not. We, wifey and I, have Kinetsu vests from aerostitch. works great, and we keep several of those hand warmer things on the bikes for in our gloves, boots.
Now you say "but your in Tennessee", we ride up north a lot to the windy city. and 3 yrs ago we left out of here Dec 26 to Padre Island, the snow piled up on the windshield I was glad I had.

I believe you call that "wisdom".  :bananarock: ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 01:30:26 PM »

No advice much more than what's been given.  Was just thinking of the trip that finally sold me on heated gear a few years ago.  It was a day riding with Bill (WFP). 

The first big year at Maggie Valley.  The Monday after Maggie Valley the group had an invitation to tour the York assembly plant and see CVO bikes being whelped.

Don't remember for sure but think it was 30 degress when we left relatively early that morning.  Had not a long day but still about 600 miles.  Didn't get warmer than about 50 until mid afternoon when we crossed a small weather front.  Then still only in to the high 50s.

Most of the morning and day was in temps between 35 and 50 though.  We'd shiver a bit at gas stops and look forward to getting back on the bike just to stop the shivers.  Hot soup at lunch to start.  Gorgeous blue skies all day though.  Damn that was a nice day to be riding.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 01:39:46 PM »

Cold Gear by UnderArmor is your answer.  Packs up extremely small, washes in the hotel sink, dries in a couple of hours, fits under any garment, does not get saggy or droopy, does not cause you to over heat when you stop for lunch (or pie) and comes in many colors. 

Don't get me wrong, the electric stuff is the bomb.  Just make sure you have extra fuses or a back up plan in case of electrical problems.  We have found though that if you have the UnderArmor, we seldom are looking for more.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »

Cold Gear by UnderArmor is your answer.  Packs up extremely small, washes in the hotel sink, dries in a couple of hours, fits under any garment, does not get saggy or droopy, does not cause you to over heat when you stop for lunch (or pie) and comes in many colors. 

Don't get me wrong, the electric stuff is the bomb.  Just make sure you have extra fuses or a back up plan in case of electrical problems.  We have found though that if you have the UnderArmor, we seldom are looking for more.

I'd forgotten for a moment.  You guys were starting on that same trip to York.  That's when MrWe's compensator loosened up.  We caugth Mike White pulling his new N-Line at that first gas stop and listened to the blue bike go "chunkety thumpety chunkety."

You guys were the real troopers of that trip.  Back somewhere, got the bike fixed on a Sunday, rode home, then took four wheels to York early the next morning to make the tour.  The We's are rock stars :mango: .

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 01:53:17 PM »

I tried the heated gear once a long time ago, I was limited in distance traveled by the extension cords. The kept coming unpluged every 100 feet. ;D ;D
Mike
 :drink:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 01:55:50 PM »

I'd forgotten for a moment.  You guys were starting on that same trip to York.  That's when MrWe's compensator loosened up.  We caugth Mike White pulling his new N-Line at that first gas stop and listened to the blue bike go "chunkety thumpety chunkety."

You guys were the real troopers of that trip.  Back somewhere, got the bike fixed on a Sunday, rode home, then took four wheels to York early the next morning to make the tour.  The We's are rock stars :mango: .

More like we got rocks for brains.  That was a very exciting time for us.  Stuck on the side of the road, all the phone calls for help where going unheeded.  My bike set up with a solo seat, six hours from home, no HD shops open on a Sunday.  We managed to turn around, limp into Hickory HD where they fixed the bike up an hour before they were even open for business.  Let me tell you, that shop is one we try to stop at and spend money at as much as we can.  You can't buy the good will they got that day.  Great shop, we are still impressed and it has been a couple of years.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »

Speaking of the York Tour!!! Ya ready to do it again Don? ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Sean M Cary

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 02:06:15 PM »

I believe you call that "wisdom".  :bananarock: ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Then I must be wise - way beyond my years...  I have hated the cold since I was a kid, and at "only" 40 hate it beyond description.

Was 41 degrees when I rode in this morning, forgot to charge the battery pack for my Exo2 and have not taken the time to wire in either MC yet...so no heated gear.  Froze my Florida a$$ off.  Worse part was my hands, had on leather gloves with liners and my digits were frozen.  Wearing the Thinsulate mittens tomorrow.

Wiring in the bike tonight...and searching for the gloves I want.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »

Speaking of the York Tour!!! Ya ready to do it again Don? ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

You tease but.....

The TD there has made contact about their "slow time."  Wondering if we'd like to do something in the winter.  Obviously nobody would be riding in.  He didn't define at all but said they could throw together something "special" for the fun of it.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 02:36:12 PM »

Then I must be wise - way beyond my years...  I have hated the cold since I was a kid, and at "only" 40 hate it beyond description.

Was 41 degrees when I rode in this morning, forgot to charge the battery pack for my Exo2 and have not taken the time to wire in either MC yet...so no heated gear.  Froze my Florida a$$ off.  Worse part was my hands, had on leather gloves with liners and my digits were frozen.  Wearing the Thinsulate mittens tomorrow.

Man, that's cold for your neck of the woods. THE MUFFMAN

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »

You tease but.....

The TD there has made contact about their "slow time."  Wondering if we'd like to do something in the winter.  Obviously nobody would be riding in.  He didn't define at all but said they could throw together something "special" for the fun of it.

I've ridden into York in 8 degrees before... I'd do it again.  Of course I'd only be coming from about 70 miles away.  8) I couldn't make the last one, but I'd sure love to go if we do it again.

As far as cold weather advice... Chaps and other leather makes a great wind breaker.  It's a lousy insolator.  You need mucho cotten or synthetic layers under that dead cow.  That's why I got rid of every piece of leather I owned (other then boots) and replaced it with Nylon FXRG gear for the cold weather and the Nylon Switchback coat for the warm weather.  I gotta tell ya, I rode in today in 28 degrees and didn't bother with my heated gear.  Now, it was only 25 miles.  But you get the point.  Sure, I look like a yuppie biker now and some of the "cool" guys don't wave to me anymore as they ride by in their leather and bandanas instead of helmets... Of course... I didn't see any of them this morning.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 08:53:25 PM »

Appreciate all the advice.  I've done 2 hour rides at this temp; it was the 5 hours that introduced me to a new experience.  I'll try the heated jacket and, if Santa's good to me, the gloves.  Here's to at least another six weeks of riding. 

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 10:36:24 AM »

Then I must be wise - way beyond my years...  I have hated the cold since I was a kid, and at "only" 40 hate it beyond description.

Was 41 degrees when I rode in this morning, forgot to charge the battery pack for my Exo2 and have not taken the time to wire in either MC yet...so no heated gear.  Froze my Florida a$$ off.  Worse part was my hands, had on leather gloves with liners and my digits were frozen.  Wearing the Thinsulate mittens tomorrow.

Rode to work yesterday. It was 28 when I left the house.  My hands were OK apart from frozen fingers, specially right hand (I always get cold on my right side, fingers, ears, face and arm.

Have a neck gator (made by under armor) best thing ever bought.  Covers my ears and lower half of the face and neck, very thin and warm.

I've been looking around to find Gerbing's G3 at discount but no luck. 
If you decide to get G3, let me know.  Maybe we can get a few people and get quantity discount.

Lack of money is the source of all evils.

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 10:52:49 AM »

I'd avoid the gloves... They're so big and bulky they're a pain to use on anything. Gerbing makes a set of heated glove liners that are significantly cheaper and you can wear them under a medium weight glove without nearly the bulk.  They're fully compatible with the Harley line of heated gear since they make the heated gear for Harley! This link will take you to their page.

http://www.gerbing.com/index.php

I have the heated gloves but will replace them with the liners when I can afford it.  My wife has the liners and they're definetly easier.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 10:59:35 AM »

after countless miles in my gerbing gloves, they no longer feel bulky. nicely broken in to my hands and grips

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »

This is a nut from a local group out of the Red Hill shop. I guess he figures if you get numb you won't feel cold!  :confused5:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 11:34:06 AM »

Rode to work yesterday. It was 28 when I left the house.  My hands were OK apart from frozen fingers, specially right hand (I always get cold on my right side, fingers, ears, face and arm.

Have a neck gator (made by under armor) best thing ever bought.  Covers my ears and lower half of the face and neck, very thin and warm.

I've been looking around to find Gerbing's G3 at discount but no luck. 
If you decide to get G3, let me know.  Maybe we can get a few people and get quantity discount.

I can get a 15% military discount from Gerbing...

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 11:50:26 AM »

43 deg this morning, I had to rely on Under Armour and full leathers............Can't wait till my Gerbings get here. 2 more weeks.   
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 12:19:08 PM »

Does any of the electric stuff have a heat control, or is it on, or off. I don't have the body armor, but the same type of thing made for skiing, since I don't use a wind shield a neck gator is the best!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »

Does any of the electric stuff have a heat control, or is it on, or off. I don't have the body armor, but the same type of thing made for skiing, since I don't use a wind shield a neck gator is the best!
Gerbing (and probably H-D) offers thermostats that can control heat. Gerbing offers a single or dual thermostat so you can zone where/how much heat you want.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 12:39:02 PM »

Gerbing (and probably H-D) offers thermostats that can control heat. Gerbing offers a single or dual thermostat so you can zone where/how much heat you want.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Man, just like heated seats in the car! Temps can change quickly here depending on how much sun you get, the controls would be nice.  Where the best sites as far as price??

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 12:39:33 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Gerbing and HD.  Same part with different label.  Don't know if it's still the case but used to be that you bought the clothes from Gerbing for longer warranty and price but bought the controller from HD as it was cheaper there.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »

Man, just like heated seats in the car! Temps can change quickly here depending on how much sun you get, the controls would be nice.  Where the best sites as far as price??
Haven't gotten that far in my research yet. Still not sure if the cost/use will be beneficial to me yet. :-\

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 12:48:54 PM »

Haven't gotten that far in my research yet. Still not sure if the cost/use will be beneficial to me yet. :-\

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's what I was wondering, I have ridden for years with what I have, and for the most part don't get to cold, but toasty warms sounds nice!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 12:53:18 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Harley's # for the dual control t-stat is 98541-04V.  Should be $80 at one of the 20% off shops.  That's with the cover.  At Gerbing it's $100 with another $10 for the cover.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »

That is great ...    :bananarock:

One question:

If Gerbing is making gloves for H-D and H-D gloves are over-sized, does that mean the Gerbing's are over-sized too?
I just bought a pair of H-D in Large and they were too big for me so I had to sell them and if the size is the same for H-D and Gerbing, then I'm SOL, since Ger.. is out of stock on "Medium".

8) :( >:( :'(

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 01:48:55 PM »

after countless miles in my gerbing gloves, they no longer feel bulky. nicely broken in to my hands and grips

My Harley gloves are well broken as well.  And I never thought much about them, until I tried my wife's heated liners.  Just as warm and I can switch betwen my middle weight glovee or my rain proof gloves as needed.  I guess I have nothing bad to say about the gloves, only that the liners are just as good and more versitle... As well as cheaper!  I paid 150 after discounst for my gloves. Just bought the liner's for my wife over the summer at 80.

If Gerbing is making gloves for H-D and H-D gloves are over-sized, does that mean the Gerbing's are over-sized too?

The Gerbing gloves I've seen are identical to my Harley Gloves with the execption of the bar and shield logo being missing from the Gerbing branded glove.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »

I love the ability to control temperature with the rheostat (not really a thermostat), but the real pain is in locating the box for the rheostat.

I have been stuffing it in my jacket with the controls sticking up so I can adjust somewhat easily.

This is doomed as soon as you get off the bike and forget you are wired in, and pulls the control and wiring out the bottom.

I  could do without that, but have not figured out where I could permanently mount the control box to be accessible.

Has anyone drilled holes in the inner fairing to mount the control box?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 01:58:36 PM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »

what about some good industrial velcro? attach it to the tank console

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2008, 02:29:48 PM »

I love the ability to control temperature with the rheostat (not really a thermostat), but the real pain is in locating the box for the rheostat.

I have been stuffing it in my jacket with the controls sticking up so I can adjust somewhat easily.

This is doomed as soon as you get off the bike and forget you are wired in, and pulls the control and wiring out the bottom.

I  could do without that, but have not figured out where I could permanently mount the control box to be accessible.

Has anyone drilled holes in the inner fairing to mount the control box?

I saw a guy with the belt clip attached to the door of the right side lower.  He's run the feed cord out under the tank and accross the engine guard and then plugged it into the thermostat (rheostat). Claimed it did not get caught up in his leg or against the air cleaner... I don't trust the cords down there. I attach the rheo to the pocket on my FXRG pants.  Can't turn 'em with the gloves on without looking like a monkey humping a football but eventually I get it adjusted.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2008, 02:33:09 PM »

what about some good industrial velcro? attach it to the tank console

Not a  bad suggestion, very practical and workable, except I am a little anal and have spent a large sum of $$ for a fairly clean design.

Having said that, the appearance of a very practical solution like velcro doesn't quite meet my expectations.

I might try on a temporary basis and see if I get use to it, since it is a non destruction solution.
Formally FLHTCUSE3

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »

may not work for everyone, but i keep mine in the rider backrest slot. keep the knob just above seat level, to adjust i reach behind and just run the side of my index finger across the knob to turn it

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 02:41:04 PM »

may not work for everyone, but i keep mine in the rider backrest slot. keep the knob just above seat level, to adjust i reach behind and just run the side of my index finger across the knob to turn it

I read your comment on that earlier and am thinking I'll try it when it get's cold enough here.  Not sure I'll be able to figure out how far I'm turning the knobs, but right now I keep getting the thing bumped against my waist and turning them accidently. Thanks for the suggestion Neil!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 02:47:53 PM »

I like it...........simple, no cost, seems very workable and I will try

Now if I can find a way to remmber when I am hooked up when I get off the bike?
Formally FLHTCUSE3

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 02:55:05 PM »

I like it...........simple, no cost, seems very workable and I will try

Now if I can find a way to remmber when I am hooked up when I get off the bike?

added bonus to my setup, the wire to the liner runs over my left hip, if i dont disconnect it before i get of the bike the motion of geting off the bike will gently disconnect it

shameless dragon pic, you can see the wire location

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have pulled this out of my jacket.

I get on my bike and it is like "groundhog day" I just start again like it was my first day

only difference Bill Murray learned something everyday.   
Formally FLHTCUSE3

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2008, 11:01:22 AM »

added bonus to my setup, the wire to the liner runs over my left hip, if i dont disconnect it before i get of the bike the motion of geting off the bike will gently disconnect it

shameless dragon pic, you can see the wire location

What no Sparks? :nixweiss:
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

hunter

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2008, 08:46:16 PM »

Well, after spending some time comparing the new H-D heated gloves and Gerbing's G3 (just the pictures, since no one has them in stock), I've come to the conclusion that the H-D version is not as practical and comfortable as G3.  I know they're both made by Gerbing's with same elements and materials. 
The old H-D version was totally different (part# 98113-04v).  I have a pair of H-D gauntlets now.  Very bulky and the finger tips also very coars like sand paper.  It'll scratch the paint if I touch the tank.  The new heated ones looks the same.
The G3 is less $ but I can buy H-D at 20% off.  I guess I'll pay the extra and wait to get G3.  I called them and they said will be available early November.

I wish I had them for tomorrow.  It'll be 24-25 in the morning. :nervous: 
I might chicken out tomorrow unless the forecast changes by morning.  :-\

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2008, 04:38:05 PM »

Velcro on the dash insert works the nuts for me.Wish the reostat knobs had detents 'through.Turn so easy you can go from low to full heat very to easy.Going to paint stripes on the knobs so i can see how much I'm ajusting up or down.Just did a trip where it was in the 20s a few mornings when we got on the road & the heated jacket liner & gloves sure felt good.If you buy from Gerbing life time garrente  is automatic.Otherwise you have to regester with them.Don't ask how I found this out.Only complaint is my jacket doesn't have any heat on the inner arms.If it did I could ware it over a t-shirt & under a leather jacket at 20 & be cosey.As is I have to ware a fleece or sweatshirt over the heated liner.Gloves feel less bulky when they get broken in.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

chanman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: O6 SE Ultra Classic (Sold)
    • CVO2: 09 SE Ultra Classic
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2008, 11:01:48 PM »

I love my heated gear. My wife and I bith have a heated jacket liner and gloves and she recently purchased the socks. It make a world of difference. We are abel to leave several hours earlier in the winter and not be shivering cold. We have been with friends that after 45 minutes of riding they are ready to pull in for coffee and a thaw. With the heated gear I could ride all day in 30 degree weather and it not bother me a bit. Oh the wonders of technology

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2008, 03:07:52 PM »

Heated gloves and jacket liner.......

They extended my riding season this year by a full month.  Wooooo Hooooooo.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »

what about the combination of heated gear, we have Kinetsu by Aerostitch, and FXRG jacket and Pants and gloves. Should be good to below freezing. What are ya'lls thoughts on FXRG
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

chanman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: O6 SE Ultra Classic (Sold)
    • CVO2: 09 SE Ultra Classic
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2008, 08:46:40 PM »

I have found that a neck gaitor relly helps, as long as I can keep my neck warm seems like the heat stays with me better, a good pair of long johns would be nice also. I have heated gear but dont break it out if the temps are in the high 40s low 50's thats a neck gaitor and a sweatshirt under my leather shirt

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2008, 09:56:38 PM »

We ride all year except if there is snow on the road.  Used to fight it and think I was being 'a tough rider' until about four years ago when a buddy of mine talked to me about using heated gear in the winter. Use Gerbings heated jacket liner and gloves with a 2 zone thermostat. Not restricitve at all and works like a charm.  If its under 32 degrees I also use a full face helmet.

FYI riding at the edge of hypothermia is very dangerous!  Your senses are dulled (whether you realize it or not) and your reaction time goes way up.  Heated gear ( and periodic stops when needed)  are an important part of safe winter riding.

Stay warm!
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2008, 11:00:56 PM »

i didnt know that 

they offer a substantial law enforcement discount as well   

wonder if i can get both LOL

ka7aku

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2009, 10:18:47 PM »

Gerbing makes a permanent mount controller, both single and 2 channel. The adjustment pots are on circuit boards that can be mounted in a fairing or other location, the control box can be tucked away somewhere else.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2009, 05:42:28 AM »

I used to get bundled up with tee shirt, 2 fleece sweatshirts, and heavy leather jacket.  Ski pants, bacalava, and heavy gloves.  I was pretty much ready for a moon landing.  This year, I finally broke down and bought a heated jacket and gloves, and a full face helmet.  Now, I wear a thin tee shirt, heated jacket and gloves, and whatever leather jacket over top, along with the full face helmet.  That keeps my upper half far more than toasty by setting the heat to low.  For the bottom half, my legs were never a huge problem, but it's nice not to have them cold either.  I bought some fleece lined jeans.  I don't have to worry about pulling something on over my pants, I have all my pockets, I still look like everyday, since noone else knows they are fleece lined, and the fleece just plain feels pretty darn good.  I bought several packs of Toasty Toes from the hunting section of Walmart.  Before I put my boots on, I just stick one of the patches  on each sock and I'm good for the day.  I can't stand cold toes, and these things don't warm up your toes...they just keep them around normal body temperature.  So don't expect your toes to fell warm when you use them, but also don't expect your toes to feel cold either.

I went with the heated jacket instead of the vest.  If you have the jacket, then you have plugs at the end of the sleeves to plug directly into your gloves and you don't have to run wires through your sleeves to operate gloves.  That, and the fact that I want my arms warm too...not just the rest of me.  When I get on the bike, I only have to plug in one wire.  The wire from my jacket drops down from the left front, so I have the cable coming out from under the front left of my seat (which when not in use, can be quickly tucked up under the seat and out of sight), so I quickly plug it in and I'm ready to go.  I have the heat controller strapped to my left upper leg, so I can readily change settings.  Because I have the cable well secured under the seat so only so much cable will pull out, I don't even have to remember to unplug it when I get off the bike.  When I step off the bike, the connection automatically pulls apart.  I can now move freely and certainly no longer qualify for that moon landing.

Unfortunately, the roads have been very messy here in PA, or I wouldn't be deterred by temps below zero.  I've been out in temps down as low as 10 to 15 degrees now and I can honestly say that I haven't even come close to experiencing a chill.  I suppose that there could come a time when I might actually want to switch on the heated grips and heated seat, but the few times I have, I've ended up turning those off.

I saw some heated insoles for boots at the bike show this weekend, that plug into heated pants, but I think they would make my boots too tight and I guess I've gotten along without the need for those.  As someone else mentioned, a windshield is your first step though.  There was a time when I had never ridden with a windshield and never saw the need.  I don't think I could ride without one now.  Okay, now I'm done rambling.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 05:44:46 AM by 1abastarsmda »

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »

Several layers of light clothing, full face helmet and balaclava, thermal socks, good boots, gore-tex jacket and heated grips, no need to be too cold

Sean M Cary

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2009, 01:10:25 PM »

I've got a combination nailed for down into the 20's...

Gerbings jacket and gloves, my FXR jacket and pants.  I wear a hood under my full face - and a neck gaiter.

Feet get a touch cold if I wear the wrong socks, but that is good for me on under 1 hour rides.  I really don't think I would want to push into the 20's beyond that.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2009, 03:14:46 PM »

I've got a combination nailed for down into the 20's...

Gerbings jacket and gloves, my FXR jacket and pants.  I wear a hood under my full face - and a neck gaiter.

Feet get a touch cold if I wear the wrong socks, but that is good for me on under 1 hour rides.  I really don't think I would want to push into the 20's beyond that.
What kinda 'hood' under the full face?  Any thing from the low 30's down is too much for me anymore regardless.......can you say frostbite/permanent damage?  :nervous:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »

What kinda 'hood' under the full face?  Any thing from the low 30's down is too much for me anymore regardless.......can you say frostbite/permanent damage?  :nervous:  spyder

it's this tactical fleece thing - when you get below the 30's anything exposed...hurts

gonna be 26 tomorrow - have to ride, my truck is hollowed out right now upgrading my sound system (that is a nightmare story), so I don't have any choice but to ride, but I would anyway anything above 20.

Drove twice so far this year, one day was 15 and the other it was icy out

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »

it's this tactical fleece thing - when you get below the 30's anything exposed...hurts

gonna be 26 tomorrow - have to ride, my truck is hollowed out right now upgrading my sound system (that is a nightmare story), so I don't have any choice but to ride, but I would anyway anything above 20.

Drove twice so far this year, one day was 15 and the other it was icy out
Plug up and enjoy the sunny ride in.... :sunny:...ya got that going for ya.  :2vrolijk_21: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »

I wear a Tourmaster Flex2 jacket; mesh jacket with over-shell, and liner.  The outer shell really blocks the wind.  Haven't used the liner yet.  This morning in the low 60s I used the outer jacket, but coming home it was in the mid-70s so unzipped the outer and just wore the mesh. Mesh jackets feel like you're just wearing a t-shirt; air flows right through.

Well, 60 is cold, ya know.   :yes:
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2009, 06:32:29 PM »

I wear a Tourmaster Flex2 jacket; mesh jacket with over-shell, and liner.  The outer shell really blocks the wind.  Haven't used the liner yet.  This morning in the low 60s I used the outer jacket, but coming home it was in the mid-70s so unzipped the outer and just wore the mesh. Mesh jackets feel like you're just wearing a t-shirt; air flows right through.

Well, 60 is cold, ya know.   :yes:

It's 25 here, feels like 13, snow on the ground, and more snow flying.  60's and 70's would be that tempting time, where I'd like to wear shorts and a tank top for a long ride, and start worrying how hot this engine really gets.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2009, 06:35:42 PM »

It's 25 here, feels like 13, snow on the ground, and more snow flying.  60's and 70's would be that tempting time, where I'd like to wear shorts and a tank top for a long ride, and start worrying how hot this engine really gets.
Like I'm looking forward to next weekend at Bike Week in Daytona (I hope)  :drink:  har!  spyder

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2009, 06:45:36 PM »

Like I'm looking forward to next weekend at Bike Week in Daytona (I hope)  :drink:  har!  spyder

I really thought I would have no problem having my bike all done and ready to head to Daytona, but I sure didn't anticipate that after 3.5 months that I would still be trying to get an exhaust system for my bike and waiting to take it in for 1000 mile service and dyno.  Enjoy yourself and have a drink, or 5 or 6 for me.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2009, 06:51:29 PM »

I really thought I would have no problem having my bike all done and ready to head to Daytona, but I sure didn't anticipate that after 3.5 months that I would still be trying to get an exhaust system for my bike and waiting to take it in for 1000 mile service and dyno.  Enjoy yourself and have a drink, or 5 or 6 for me.
Yeah, it's one thing to have trouble getting ready by Daytona time when building a bike or a complete winter re-build, but getting a brand new bike ready......that ought not be a deal breaker.  Sorry you'll miss the early spring riding......but, hang in there and I'll be sure and toss one back for ya!  :drink: spyder

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »

Yeah, it's one thing to have trouble getting ready by Daytona time when building a bike or a complete winter re-build, but getting a brand new bike ready......that ought not be a deal breaker.  Sorry you'll miss the early spring riding......but, hang in there and I'll be sure and toss one back for ya!  :drink: spyder

I decided a while ago that I'm not taking off on any long trips until I have the bike all dialed in correctly.  I just didn't think it would take this long to get to that point.  If I had a real stroke of luck, I could still get my pipes this week, have them installed, dyno done, and get a late start for FL.  But then I would also need a break in the weather here to escape on some dry roads, as I think all but one of my trailering options are gone now, and the other will be taken in the next few days.  If I can't commit to leaving next Saturday real quick, I think someone else will take that spot.  The odds are really stacked against me, but I think I'd rather just get the bike set up how I want it and ready for the weather to turn.  I should have plenty of opportunities to take off then.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2009, 08:08:27 PM »

Hehe, we can always tell folks from PA and other Northerners by the short pants and tank tops they wear while we're wearing chaps! And by the smiles on their faces! ;D ;D ;D :huepfenjump3:
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »

Hehe, we can always tell folks from PA and other Northerners by the short pants and tank tops they wear while we're wearing chaps! And by the smiles on their faces! ;D ;D ;D :huepfenjump3:

It amazing how the body acclimates to weather conditions.  In October and November, when we start getting those days down in the 50's, it feels mighty cold and the heavy weather gear comes out.  At this time of the year, if we get a 50 degree day, I could ride in shorts and a tee and it feels like a cool summer breeze.  So, when we hit that FL weather, 60 to 70 degrees feels more like upper 80's to us.  I guess it's all relative.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »

It amazing how the body acclimates to weather conditions.  In October and November, when we start getting those days down in the 50's, it feels mighty cold and the heavy weather gear comes out.  At this time of the year, if we get a 50 degree day, I could ride in shorts and a tee and it feels like a cool summer breeze.  So, when we hit that FL weather, 60 to 70 degrees feels more like upper 80's to us.  I guess it's all relative.

I always figured your yank brains had frozen...
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.587 seconds with 21 queries.