Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin’ Eagle® Softail® Springer®

09 Springer tail light hard to see

<< < (3/3)

gmeikle:
Try the Ronnies HD webfinder parts page to compare part numbers

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel/11/harleydavidsonmc

68349-07D

Looks to be the same part number for 2008 and 2009.

I would never have thought that !

TrAnc:
this taillight was used in 2007-2009 CVO springer,  2009-2010 CVO fat bob , in fat bob FXDFSE was also chrome cover on that taillight and its still bright . It does fit every bobtail fenders (night train , cross bones , softail standard 200mm rear wheel) and fat bob 2008-2013 . In 2009 FXSTSSE3 the difference is in plastic what you attach to fender and then you install tribar led tailight. that TRIBAR led is just the same  . The easiest way to recognize if its OEM HD or chinese knock off are of course in corners DOT SAE stamping and "E" , but underneath licenseplate illumination OEM HD has only 2 LED , chinese has like 10 :) Chinesse plastic is chit and light isnt bright aswell.

gmeikle:
Well today I finally got around the fitting that ebay Tri Bar tail light. My riding mates finally got sick of the constant "flickering".

Slipped the new (Chinese made) unit into the original OEM fitting bracket kit even tho' the newie came with a repeat fitting kit.

It was just easier to reuse the original and slip in the new LED cluster unit.

First thing I noticed is the eBay cluster has twice as much length of wiring harness, and the same fitting plug but in white not OEM black.

Coiling the wire carefully it all fits together, and only the rear 2 fender strut Torx45 had to be loosened and 4 small Allen headed cap screws.

I reused the 4 original cap screws as they cleaned up fine with a bit of brake cleaner , as did the Torx 45 bolts which went back in with Loctite blue.

No time to roadtest but it did light up and the brake light worked also. First impressions in a now dark garage is it's bright enough, but the jury is out if it's as bright as the OEM.

Tomorrow we'll see on a sunny day ride how it works on the road.

Delivered cost to me was $75 AUD, which today is $47 USD at today's exchange rates. Worth a try at that price.

Shortly a good riding mate is going to open the OEM cluster (again) and on the workbench redo all solder joints and repairs. Put it back together with windscreen sealant.

He's a retired electronics tech and WAY better at that job than me! Then the OEM cluster will go back on the shelf ready for later if required.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2553941.m570.l1313&_nkw=harley+tribar+fender+light&_sacat=0

gmeikle:
Original OEM rear LED cluster repaired. With more gusto then 8 years ago.

broken solder joints all re-tinned better than new

Don't look pretty but it don't hafta ! Can't be seen once siliconed back together.

That's neutral cure black silicone to stop /minimise further vibration damage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version