CVO Social > Rider Down

Are You Tougher Than A Harley-Davidson?

(1/11) > >>

GregKhougaz:
Most begrudgingly, I hereby claim that I am tougher than a Harley-Davidson.   :coolblue:  Thank God this was not worse. Last Thursday, April 5, I was heading to the gym for my workout. I was southbound on Veteran Ave. at approximately 25 miles per hour in the number two lane,.  A young lady in an Acura in the southbound number one lane decided to abruptly turn right into a driveway (for the Federal Building) just in front of me. I saw it coming and braked immediately but still, could not stop in time.  The impact  occurred at about 10-15 miles an hour.

I am bruised and battered but not broken. I declined to go to the hospital but of course, the pain got much worse over the next couple of days. My left foot and right hand are swollen and black and my ribs on the left side were in agony but now seem to be at least tolerable. Nothing seems to be broken. From experience, I know that bruised ribs are painful and for a long time. The bottom line is that you simply don't bounce as well at 60 as you did at 30 years of age. Damn! Ice is my new best friend.

The dealer finalized the repair estimate this morning at $16,676! The insurance company has already told me they will pay it as well as any later discovered damages and waive my deductible. Replacement parts include the inner and outer front fairings, left lower fairing, handlebar, left front fork, front and rear crash bars, left floorboard and left rear bag, etc. I'll be very surprised if the front wheel is not bent.

At the scene, when I was finally able to get up and survey the situation, I asked the driver if she was alright. Her response was,  "I shouldn't say anything to you." Later, she was at least kind enough to offer me a bottle of water. Police and CHP conducted what seemed to be a very thorough investigation. One of the CHP officers kindly drove me home. She was very nice... but married.   

See reply number 40 for an update on my condition. Turns out I am broken.

The bike:

GregKhougaz:
The even wimpier car:

iski:
Glad you were not hurt worse, heal up soon!  Takes more time for us "seasoned" riders.  As Bruce Willis said in that movie "Sorry baby, I had to crash that Honda."  No comment on the driver other than to say, it's a sorrier world than we once had when people can't even apologize for fear of whatever.  Hope the bike gets fixed by the time you feel like riding.  Maybe try that wider shield from Freedom on it?

skratch:
bummer.  sorry to hear that, but glad that it wasn't worse than it was.  looking forward to seeing the blue beast back on the road.

muddypaws:
Hope you and the bike get fixed fast....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version