Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best motorcycle roadside assistance program?  (Read 2007 times)

dogdoc85

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

• CVO1: 2018 Ultra Limited CVO Anniversary
Best motorcycle roadside assistance program?
« on: May 25, 2018, 10:05:39 AM »

Was curious what others were using (AAA, HOG, etc.) Have/had HOG policy and last year had problems on a Sunday. No dealers were open on a Sunday
so was told nothing they could do. Finally got them to send a truck to pick us up and have it towed to a dealer,unloaded in their parking lot,  then had to have
 a buddy drive 3 hours with a trailer to pick us up. There has to be something better. Thanks

ultrarider123

Re: Best motorcycle roadside assistance program?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »

AAA would be my first choice.  We have them for two of our vehicles that don't have roadside service from the factory/manufacture.

One other choice may be your vehicle insurance.  I have it on the bike through Farm Bureau and it's pennies on the dollar for what you get...something to consider.

Good luck

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »

I am a HOG member, I have AAA for my family if I am not around or when traveling, and am an AMA member. They all offer different ways of accomplishing the same thing. My thought process is in our family we have 5 vehicles, 1 motorhome, 2 Harleys, 3 different drivers alot of the time going 3 different directions, and for me the piece of mind outways the cost of the different options. Knock on wood that I keep my stuff well maintained and haven't had to use them except for we really like the free maps and literature from AAA so I can't give you personal experience from any of the 3 about their road assistance services.
I hope when I do need help, that between the 3, one of them will be the hero.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 05:35:00 PM »

AAA for sure.  The H.O.G. roadside assistance program provides for a tow to the nearest dealership . . . and I think there may even be a mileage limit on that.  I know for sure that my insurance company's roadside assistance program has a 50 mile limit on it.  Several years ago I needed a tow due to a leaking oil cooler - I think a rock had punctured it.  Anyway the nearest dealer did not have the part in stock but one about 90 miles away did.  AAA's policy is a 100 mile tow to wherever you want to go.  In my experience they have a much broader network of towing operators.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:50:11 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 06:24:38 PM »

I use my insurance for towing which is Gieco. It costs me an extra 10 bucks per year. Tow me up to 75 miles for free and I get 10 tows per year.

But recently one of my friends got a flat going down the turnpike and he didn’t have towing on his AAA and they wanted 250 bucks to tow to his house which was about 60 miles away. Which seemed crazy. So I called my wife and asked her if she could find a tow company for him. We were hanging with him on the side of the turnpike.
My wife being a smarty head decided to call Palm Beach Harley and asked about being towed there. Well Palm Beach Harley was only 15 miles away and offered to come get bike and bring it back to dealer for free. Yes I said free.

So that’s what happened. My lesson learned when broke down find the nearest dealer first and see if they’ll come and get you. If not then I call Geico. Food for thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 06:44:36 PM »

HOG road service covered me from West Yellowstone to Idaho Falls, Id.  120 miles and covered my hotel room......years ago.  I posted it on this forum when it happened.......may have been around 2005.

Like Sprintkid....I have several coverages and should I ever need one again, I'll look at the one that's going to cover the situation.  HOG will take you to the next "Harley" dealership and not just to the next motorcycle shop.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:46:24 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 01:13:45 AM »

AAA just flat bed towed mine to Jim at MetalDragon.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »

AAA just flat bed towed mine to Jim at MetalDragon.

But that's just down the street!   :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »

But that's just down the street!

WORKS FOR ME!!!!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.