Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35

Author Topic: Coast to Coast to Coast | 2011 Lake Tahoe Gathering | Jock's Captain's Log  (Read 53544 times)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?

Captain’s Log | 05.28.2011

As I reflect upon the upcoming event that I have been looking to for what seems a lifetime I recall that it has only been less than twelve months.  I find myself asking these questions…Where did the time go?  What did I do with this time in an effort to plan for this event?  What must I still accomplish in order to meet my objectives?  Then the answer comes to me…You have been attempting to have fun, live life and just get out there. 

And out there I will be, on the open road with just a few special destinations planned upon the way.  Enough time to take in the more desirable areas I am seeking to visit and/or revisit.  There is so much of this country that I have explored and have yet too explore and I am fortunate enough to have the ability to conduct this effort at this point.  I do not take this blessing without the full understanding that it the Lord has provided me with this opportunity.  I am truly grateful for him and all that he provides us.

Having thanked him I am prepared to take on this journey/adventure and provide whatever pleasure it might be to others that have an interest in this journey.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member

Captain’s Log | 05.29.2011

At this point it is time to conduct a pre-ride pack up.  I have so much that I would like to bring with me but limited space to carry it.  As always it becomes the bare essentials and only those that can not be replaced during the journey or necessary…mmm…camera or no camera…HA!  But really which one to bring given the space conditions and the amount of space required?

The bike has been serviced and appears to be ready for the journey.  I have purchased a legal helmet given my last venture into the great state of California.  Besides I needed a good helmet for certain conditions and should be wearing one any way.  We will see how long that last.

I need to review a few last minute options but for the most part I am 80% ready.  This is excellent as I will be taking tomorrow to honor our friends who are servicing or have served in our armed forces.  I really look forward to this opportunity as we owe these people so much and they ask so little of us.  An opportunity to give back when not even asked to do so…the best.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member

Captain’s Log | 05.30.2011

After an early morning rise it is time to place some finishing touches upon my packing.  I am beginning to think that I am part women with all of the items I am attempting to bring on this journey.  This is unlike me and I am uncertain were this behavior is coming from however I will review and reduce it down to size as it should be.

I am really looking forward to this afternoon where I can pay tribute to all that are and/or have served.  We are blessed to such people in our presence and I truly enjoy spending time and hearing their experiences.  Words can not begin to describe the appreciation I have for all that they have performed and sacrificed for all of us.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member

Captain’s Log | 05.31.2011

Suddenly I feel like a child and its Christmas Eve.  I have plenty to occupy my mind and work to conduct but the strain is drawing at me.  I have been on the telephone for most of the day…work, friends, and preparation. 

The bike is now packed up and I could not place another item on it if I wanted one.  Goosh…that “shoe box” I joke about would come in handy right now!

I know it will be difficult to get any rest tonight but try I must.  It will be an early morning since I have no choice given an early AM appointment.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member

Captain’s Log | 06.01.2011

After an early AM appointment it was time to hop on my iron horse and head out West.  At this point I was uncertain where I would lay my head down but I wanted to make as many tracks as possible.  In doing so this would allow me to spend some quality time in areas I wanted to revisit.  I knew there would not be any time to take some of the photographs that would be of interest but I had a greater goal.

My travels took me through the Birmingham, AL area that was hit by their tornado.  My heart dropped seeing it in person.  While not the size and scope of Joplin, MO any size and scope is more than any area should have to bear.

Later in the day I went through Memphis, TN and saw the efforts upon the area of the mighty Mississippi and it’s river rising.  Some of the water in the outlining area rivers and fields were still there.  A painful sight indeed and I took a moment to pray for these families. 

On a positive note I had a productive day…the bike ran smooth and it took me safely 950 miles to Fort Smith, AR today.  Tomorrow I hope to make it to Trinidad, CO where on Friday morning some fun will begin.  Just wish my CVO friends were here to experience it too.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty

Nothing represents potential more than a fully loaded bike! Thanks for starting the "Captains Log"! I look forward to following along. Ride safe!

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06

Screw the Captains Log, where in the Hell did that RED Bike appear?? Been keeping that one a secrete for a while or did I miss the unveiling?

Wish I was heading out also.  :bigcry:

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Screw the Captains Log, where in the Hell did that RED Bike appear?? Been keeping that one a secrete for a while or did I miss the unveiling? Wish I was heading out also.  :bigcry:

Brad

That's what I was wondering.  Jock, you got some splainin to do.

But nice choice! :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black

Screw the Captains Log, where in the Hell did that RED Bike appear?? Been keeping that one a secrete for a while or did I miss the unveiling?

Wish I was heading out also.  :bigcry:

Brad

I'm with Brad

:shocked2:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG

Yea, that aint no Huckleberry :huepfenlol2: But still nice. :2vrolijk_21:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.

Jock, Congratulations on the new ride!   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

hogasm

Have a safe ride Jock :jalapeno: :pepper:

Jock and I tried to trade tour packs before he did his deal on the new bike. I wanted his rear speakers....but the dealer saw how his bike was set up and would not allow any changes :soapbox:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4

Nice bike.....noodge, cooulda said something! safe travels! :drink:

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook

Jock - 950 miles on day one! Guess you know that part of the country pretty well.
Also impressed that you plan on making Trinidad, CO by EOD today.
Hope you slow down after that and enjoy the beauty of the Rockies and Western States.
It's not a race but an adventure. Be safe my friend, enjoy and take plenty of pictures.

DH

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"

i'm still confused. where did the SEUC come from  :confused5:
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 22 queries.