Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29

Author Topic: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide  (Read 180614 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Re: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2008, 08:15:26 PM »

Is 10.5 long enough?

You bet and then some, No issues with length still had 3-4 inches to spare....Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2008, 09:42:37 PM »

You bet and then some, No issues with length still had 3-4 inches to spare....Greg

Thanks Greg. do yo have a link by chance?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2008, 12:49:55 PM »

After finding the bits unavailable for a couple of weeks, I have an extra 1.5" from McGills (Bit5) and another from Tool Barn on the way  (both unused).  I also have a used one from McGills.  It worked fine but the drilling did take about 1/2 hour even with an air powerd drill.   Let me know if anyone needs a bit and I can send it to them.  Thanks. 

Greg
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:00:18 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2008, 02:33:48 PM »

Anyone that has already removed their CAT is your bit still good enough to drill another one???? Would you like to part with it? Name your price.

:pumpkin: :bananarock:
   Brad

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2008, 10:17:53 AM »

Anyone that has already removed their CAT is your bit still good enough to drill another one???? Would you like to part with it? Name your price.

:pumpkin: :bananarock:
   Brad

Go grab one at the link I posted... above, I'm going to use mine again when I pick up my double red Ultra// Greg

CoalvilleBob

« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2008, 09:25:26 AM »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting this.  I just added ThunderCones and want to run with them for a while.  I suspect that I'd need to re-tune if I removed the CC.   ...and that leads me down a path I've been before: $$$$.  I put S&S 590's on my 06 SECU and needed seat belts. My MPG went down too!  I'm somewhat happy with the sound and perfomance of my 09 SECU for now and was wondering if the is a way I can download you instructions and pictures for future reference.

Thanks again for helping us learn and save $$$'s

Bob

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2008, 07:08:52 PM »

Another cat bites the dust....I went to work on the exhaust last night and followed Jim's instructions to remove the catalytic converter. I used a 1.4" silver braised drill bit from McGills Warehouse since that is all I could get my hands on at the time. It probably took me an hour to drill out the catalytic converter and then.......music to my ears. I love the sound of a straight pipe Harley without the restrictive catalytic converter.

To anyone considering this project, let me tell you that anyone can do it with the right tools. I ended up renting a drill from Home Depot since the drills that I have were too small, that cost me $7.00. I also bought a bench grinder in order to grind the 5/8" rod to fit in the drill, that was $44.00. I already had a hack saw to downsize the 5/8" rod. I attached a motorcycle tie down to the drill so I could keep forward pressure...this was after I was getting fatigued from using the drill (I wish that I would have thought of this sooner). The catalytic converter material is some hard chit, but it is gone now.

I returned the drill to Home Depot first thing this morning and now I am going to begin the job of grinding down the welds on the muffler core and replace it with the 2.0" Fullsac core. I expect this job will be a lot easier and take less time than drilling the catalytic converter.

Guilty -

Thanks for the idea about using the rachet tie-down!  Sure made a long boring drilling session much more bearable.  Hooked one end to the drill handle and the other to the passenger footrest mount. Worked great - my cat is now  gone!   Also BIG thanks to Jim Kerr for the original thread and pics!

Jim, THANK YOU for the great instructions and pictures for removing the catalytic converter.
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2008, 07:11:06 PM »

Different angle showing the attachment of the tie-down to the passenger footrest.
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

MontyB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »

FTC!
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

Jeepwatchman

« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2008, 10:14:39 AM »

What exactly was cut off the baffle?  It's hard to tell in your photo.

A buddy of mine has an 08 SEUC. I let him use my stock mufflers from my 09 for an experiment. Keep in mind HIS has the CC in the mufflers, mine do not.

He removed the baffle by cutting the 2 welds. Then he cut this piece of the baffle off from the end piece

Howard
USAF(Ret.)
2003 FLHRI
Iron Butt #26949
Patriot Guard Rider

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »

Guilty -

Thanks for the idea about using the rachet tie-down!   Sure made a long boring drilling session much more bearable.  Hooked one end to the drill handle and the other to the passenger footrest mount. Worked great - my cat is now  gone!   Also BIG thanks to Jim Kerr for the original thread and pics!

MonyyB, I am glad that the idea helped you...I only wish that I would have thought of it sooner when I was performing the cat extraction on my bike!

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Living The Dream until the 2008 Stock Market Crash
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2008, 07:24:21 PM »

Jim Kerr:  great info, thanks for the post.

Questions though:  removing the CC would increase airflow through the engine which would make it even leaner and likely run hotter than the bike would come from the factory unless one changed the fuel/air mixture with a SERT.  Without the SERT, back pressure would be less so would there be better/more heat dissipation that one would feel (?).   Oil and head temp would be down, I think.  You said it ran cooler.  I am trying to understand this stuff.  Can someone help me out?  Thanks. 

Road Hog

FLHTCUSE4, Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2008, 07:55:09 PM »

Jim Kerr:  great info, thanks for the post.

Questions though:  removing the CC would increase airflow through the engine which would make it even leaner and likely run hotter than the bike would come from the factory unless one changed the fuel/air mixture with a SERT.  Without the SERT, back pressure would be less so would there be better/more heat dissipation that one would feel (?).   Oil and head temp would be down, I think.  You said it ran cooler.  I am trying to understand this stuff.  Can someone help me out?  Thanks. 

Road Hog

Removing the cc will not change the fuel/air because the EFI will adjust in closed loop.  Therefore the engine temp will remain the same due to the same air/fuel ratio before and after. 
The exhaust temp however should now be reduced simply because you have increased the ability of the hot exhaust to escape the header pipe.
Also if the engine makes more power, now it works less to take the bike down the road.  Less work required should equal less overall operating temp.
I ran my bike with cc removed & 1 3/4 fulsacs stock and then with the basic download from the SERT and I could not tell any difference. 
Many will argue the SERT makes it run cooler, but when you download the basic map for air cleaner and exhaust, the fuel ratios of 14:6 do not change.   

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Living The Dream until the 2008 Stock Market Crash
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2008, 08:23:15 PM »

Thanks, guppythrash, for the info.   

Here is what I am wrestling with concerning my 09 SEUC.  The bike has enough power for my two-up touring so that's no problem.   It does not need to be cutting edge fast; 100 mph is fast enough.   After owning an '02 RK 95" stage two that I finally sold because I could not afford to keep it running any longer and tired of being stranded in the middle of nowhere with a scooter that wouldn't run or run well, I want my bike to go 100K miles without rebuilds, get decent mileage/range and I want it reliable.  I understand the 110 has some issues.  For me it is about seeing things, riding technique and fast curves, not a bike project.  In a perfect world, I would buy just gas and tires, perform regular maintenance.  Lots of each.  I ride some 20K eash year.

What do you think I should address in this engine to reach my goals with this bike?  Popping the CC seems reasonable.  What else?

Road Hog
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:45:22 PM by Road Hog »
FLHTCUSE4, Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.