Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29

Author Topic: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide  (Read 180616 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2008, 06:24:13 PM »

Thanks!  Appreciate it.  I'm ordering now.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2008, 12:02:37 AM »

I have a 9" long 1.5" coring bit ordered.  I'm assuming that since the cc is set back into the pipe a bit and up to 7" long, I am going to need to cut the 5/8" UNC threaded to around 7" or so, in order to allow the bit to cut the entire was through the cc before the drill hits the end of the exhaust pipe.  That was a question. 

Second, what is it that I am grinding off on the 5/8" UNC?  Am I just making sure that it will fit into my drill?  Do I need to grind it at all if it fits into the end of my drill as is?

I'm looking forward to tackling this.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2008, 07:16:20 AM »

I have a 9" long 1.5" coring bit ordered.  I'm assuming that since the cc is set back into the pipe a bit and up to 7" long, I am going to need to cut the 5/8" UNC threaded to around 7" or so, in order to allow the bit to cut the entire was through the cc before the drill hits the end of the exhaust pipe.  That was a question. 

The cat is only 5" long.  It sets back from the opening to the end of the cat about 7".  The drill bit itself should be long enough to get through.   You shouldn't have to use an extension UNC.  The longer it is the more difficult it will be.  The drill will wobble.   

Second, what is it that I am grinding off on the 5/8" UNC?  Am I just making sure that it will fit into my drill?  Do I need to grind it at all if it fits into the end of my drill as is?

Correct, you are only grinding off the 5/8" UNC to get it to fit your drill.  If it fits the one you have then no griding is necessary. 

navdav51

• Senior CVO Member
  • US Navy Retired, Old Antarctic Explorer, 75-78

• CVO1: 2009 Silver SERG
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2008, 07:12:17 PM »

OK luckily my SERG wont be here till march 09, so let me see if I am getting this correct.  After removing the cat I will need to install a 96in motor head pipe w/o cat, a heavy breather( are we talking air filter here?) and new mufflers? Also what is the hd super tuner, fullsacs  and the cert ya'll mention. I have read all the posts but dont think I actually saw what they were. maybe I am trying to take in tmi at once here!  Thanks
...VETERAN....Whether active duty,retired, National Guard or reserve,is someone who wrote a check made payable to The United States of America,for an amount up to and including my life....Author unknown

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2008, 07:25:49 PM »

OK luckily my SERG wont be here till march 09, so let me see if I am getting this correct.  After removing the cat I will need to install a 96in motor head pipe w/o cat, a heavy breather( are we talking air filter here?) and new mufflers? Also what is the hd super tuner, fullsacs  and the cert ya'll mention. I have read all the posts but dont think I actually saw what they were. maybe I am trying to take in tmi at once here!  Thanks

If you remove the cat converter, you don't need the head pipes from the 96 in.  The 96 in does not have the cat, so you have a choice of removing your cat OR switching to 96 in pipes instead.

Heavy breather = Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner (Stage I).

Add slipon mufflers OR recore the ones you have with Fullsac replacement cores for your stock mufflers.  It's your choice.  The Fullsac's are cheaper, but you will need to do some labor.  If you are removing the cat converter, you can do this at the same time, while your mufflers are already off the bike. 

The HD super tuner ( Screamin Eagle Race Tuner = SERT) is one of the many different available fuel management systems for electronic fuel injection.  After you make these other changes to your bike, you may want to add this to have the fuel injection recalibrated or tuned in.  These bikes come from the factory running a bit lean, and tuning the fuel injection properly will dial in all of the proper settings with the new air and exhaust flow you have achieved by putting on the air cleaner and free flowing exhaust.

navdav51

• Senior CVO Member
  • US Navy Retired, Old Antarctic Explorer, 75-78

• CVO1: 2009 Silver SERG
« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2008, 07:35:28 PM »

AHHH I am starting to see the light!  Thanks! In my mind I was making it sound more difficult than need be! Sure am glad I found this site!
...VETERAN....Whether active duty,retired, National Guard or reserve,is someone who wrote a check made payable to The United States of America,for an amount up to and including my life....Author unknown

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2008, 01:05:15 AM »

The cat is only 5" long.  It sets back from the opening to the end of the cat about 7".  The drill bit itself should be long enough to get through.   You shouldn't have to use an extension UNC.  The longer it is the more difficult it will be.  The drill will wobble. 

I don't see any way that this answer can be accurate.  Even with the numbers quoted there, 5" + 7" = 12" and I have a 9" core bit.  I could never reach the end of the converter with a 9" and no extension UNC.

Secondly, I am questioning this answer, as I took off my muffler tonight and I measured where the cat converter started.  It is 9.5" in to where it starts from the back of the exhaust pipe, not 7". 

That makes me wonder if the 5" is a guess or was it measured.  Also, could there be a difference from one bike to another?  I'm doubting it.  Assuming there have been different reports on the forum for the length of the converter to be 5" and 7",  I have to assume that I'm going to have to cut the threaded rod based upon the assumption of 7".  So, that means that the end of the converter could be as far as 16.5" into the pipe.  With a 9" coring bit, that means you need at least 7.5" of threaded rod between the core bit and the end of the drill...maybe a little extra to be able to scoop the converter into the bit to pull it out.  I'm thinking this may not be a real stable setup and I am wondering if someone steered me wrong once again by telling me that the 9" core bit would be long enough.   Could someone please confirm with an actual measurement for how long the cat converter is?  If I can cut the size of my threaded rod by another 2 inches with confidence, I think that would be helpful.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2008, 04:35:18 AM »

Follow Jim Kerr's advice, he won't steer you wrong on this.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2008, 07:03:53 AM »

His advice may have been perfect with the 14" core bit, and he did a heck of a nice job showing us how to do it.  the problem is searching all over and ending up with a 9" core bit.  If you read what I wrote there, his advice regarding the 9" bit cannot be accurate.  Please do the quick math here again.

He said the cc is 7" into the pipe and then extends for 5".  That's 12" into the pipe.  Then he said I won't need an extension.  How do you get 9" to cover 12" without an extension?  Maybe I need to rub the core bit just the right way. :orange:

Oh, and as I said, and it's an easy measurement, my cc is actually 9.5" into the exhaust pipe, which makes it even more difficult.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2008, 09:27:16 AM »

The Cat is 5in long, a 14in core bit is all the way up to the end of the pipe when it cuts through, with a 9 in bit you will need approx a 7 in extension to do the job with ease, it took my old bit about 20 min to cut through and it has a lot of miles on it, your new one should cut better, I see a lot of people using oil on the bits my dry bit does not cut well at all with oil on it I just stick the tip in a container of water occasionally to cool it down. if done properly you will have a nice smooth tunnel that is hard to distinguish from the pipe.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:35:02 AM by dartman »

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2008, 02:37:35 PM »

His advice may have been perfect with the 14" core bit, and he did a heck of a nice job showing us how to do it.  the problem is searching all over and ending up with a 9" core bit.  If you read what I wrote there, his advice regarding the 9" bit cannot be accurate.  Please do the quick math here again.

He said the cc is 7" into the pipe and then extends for 5".  That's 12" into the pipe.  Then he said I won't need an extension.  How do you get 9" to cover 12" without an extension?  Maybe I need to rub the core bit just the right way. :orange:

Oh, and as I said, and it's an easy measurement, my cc is actually 9.5" into the exhaust pipe, which makes it even more difficult.

I have a 10" core bit I used about 6" of  5/8 all thread for the arbor, double nutted it, then got  a Dewalt bit that goes in the drill and has a 3/8  square end on it. slip a socket on there and away you got and yes my 10" went inside the pipe while I was drilling it, that's why I  used the all thread, just like Jim suggested. . Worked great... Patience, drill slow and shoot plenty of WD -40 on the bit to keep it cool Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »

Working with faulty equipment is becoming a standard for me.  I was all ready to start drilling, and the side handle on my drill snapped off.  After some pondering, I figured a way to put it together, and I am pretty sure I just improved on the design and stability and the handle.  As far as the 5/8" UNC, I'm lucky to have my Dremel here.  For what unknown reason, I sold my bench grinder a few weeks ago, and I had to grind down the threads with the Dremel to fit my 1/2" chuck.  I also used the Dremel to cut the rod to length.

What I did was thread the rod into the core bit, and threaded it in there about 5 to 6 inches.  That way I new the cat wouldn't hit the rod until I was 3 to 4 inches complete with the drilling.  Rather than working with a rod that's sticking out between the bit and the drill of 7", I figured this would get me more leverage and a steadier drill to get the process started.  I got in about 2.5", when I loosened up the nut and backed out the rod a few more inches, now that the core bit has a good clean path cut to keep the cut moving nice and straight.  I'm about 3.5" through now and it looked like it was getting a bit late to keep making noise.  So far, I've only got about 10 minutes into the actual drilling and it is going quite well.  I'll finish that step in the morning.

The longest part of the process was grinding the rod down with a Dremel to fit in the drill and to make some additional grinds to get the entire rig to spin fairly true.  I must say, this is a ton easier than trying to get those welds out on the mufflers.  But I did accomplish that this morning also.  It's best to save finishing the cat until tomorrow...I wouldn't want to have this much excitement come all in one day.

Why do I feel the worst is yet to come?  For some reason, I just have a bad feeling that it's going to be a real frustrating experience trying to get those mufflers mounted back onto the exhaust.  I hope they just slide right on, but I'm wondering.  Can anyone ease my mind about that?  Are they tough to get back on?

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2008, 12:12:44 AM »

I  seldom have a problem getting the same mufflers that came off back on, They are pretty much sized to fit, used mufflers from another machine can be a problem, but Harbor Freight sells a small muffler expander that will quickly remedy that

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2008, 01:01:40 AM »

I guess I'll find out sometime over the next week. 

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2008, 04:34:32 AM »

Very easy to slide the mufflers back on.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29

Page created in 0.735 seconds with 22 queries.