Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29

Author Topic: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide  (Read 180607 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2008, 05:53:05 PM »

I'm consistently beating rice rockets on my bagger with zero engine mods :)

A stock bagger consistently beating rice rockets?

Cool!

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »

A stock bagger consistently beating rice rockets?

Drill bit, $15. Fullsac baffles, $150. The facial expression of the rice rocket drivers after I blow them away -- PRICELESS!!

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2008, 06:23:36 PM »

Drill bit, $15. Fullsac baffles, $150. The facial expression of the rice rocket drivers after I blow them away -- PRICELESS!!

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

What rice rockets are ya beating with a FD? :nixweiss:

Any large RR will blow away most any FD, no matter what engine's in it let alone a stocker, if the guy has balls and knows how to ride! I like blowin past em too. And many don't have the nerve to keep up. But those that KNOW how to ride will kill ya every time. You can't compete with 200HP and 300 lbs less weight! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2008, 06:49:56 PM »

What rice rockets are ya beating with a FD? :nixweiss:

Any large RR will blow away most any FD, no matter what engine's in it let alone a stocker, if the guy has balls and knows how to ride! I like blowin past em too. And many don't have the nerve to keep up. But those that KNOW how to ride will kill ya every time. You can't compete with 200HP and 300 lbs less weight! ;)

Hoist! 8)

I suppose we could be beat by a moped in the right circumstances, but the rice rockets I have raced have zero torque (including some 1200's).  They aren't designed to drag race.  They are engineered to run tracks at high speeds.  I'm sure a good pro driver could beat me, but I haven't met up with one yet that can do it in the city.  I own them up to about 120 MPH or so.  They try, but just can't catch me until I have to slow down to maneuver through traffic.  Surprisingly enough, the SERG does darn well in weaving between cars.  Actually does better at slower speeds than rice rockets.  Torque is also king when you have to slow down and accelerate fast in traffic.  I seriously leave them in the dust every time.  By the time they start building enough speed to catch my lead we have to slow down, weave between cars and do it again.   

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #229 on: November 26, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »

I suppose we could be beat by a moped in the right circumstances, but the rice rockets I have raced have zero torque (including some 1200's).  They aren't designed to drag race.  They are engineered to run tracks at high speeds.  I'm sure a good pro driver could beat me, but I haven't met up with one yet that can do it in the city.  I own them up to about 120 MPH or so.  They try, but just can't catch me until I have to slow down to maneuver through traffic.  Surprisingly enough, the SERG does darn well in weaving between cars.  Actually does better at slower speeds than rice rockets.  Torque is also king when you have to slow down and accelerate fast in traffic.  I seriously leave them in the dust every time.  By the time they start building enough speed to catch my lead we have to slow down, weave between cars and do it again.   

HeHe!!! Sounds like me and you gotta ride together sometime Jim!!! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »

Crikey! 2 of of ya's!    :D

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2008, 08:13:22 PM »

HeHe!!! Sounds like me and you gotta ride together sometime Jim!!! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Anytime my friend.  Anytime! 

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2008, 08:35:32 PM »

Okay, buckle your seat belts and get ready for this question.  Why not just block off the left side after the converter chamber for a home made 2 into 1 system?  Then we have the dummy dual on the left side already.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2008, 08:56:04 PM »

Okay, buckle your seat belts and get ready for this question.  Why not just block off the left side after the converter chamber for a home made 2 into 1 system?  Then we have the dummy dual on the left side already.

Nothing wrong with that at all.  Lots of guys have put dummy pipes on the left side.  They keep the bagger look while sustaining the performance.  The only difference with the 09's is that the header design compensates for this.  H-D didn't do a bad job in this area.  This is why the went with the 2 into 1 into 2.  This keeps the cylinder outflow a consistent back pressure.  It doesn't cause any problems to release some pressure through the left side as long as the exiting gas from both cylinders is balanced. 

The trick is to pick the right sized baffle to maintain appropriate back-pressure.  Otherwise you loose torque or prevent the engine from reaching peak performance.  If you go with only one pipe then you need a larger baffle.  This is why I installed 1 3/4" fullsac's.  With both pipes operational I get the effect of larger baffles without loosing torque.  I'll bump up the size if I change the cam's, but at the moment they appear to be perfect.  At the top end on the dyno we can see just a slight amount of resistance.  If I went up in baffle size I'd get a couple more HP, but I'd decrease my 114 LBS/torque. 

A rider will never notice a HP or two on the top end, but a pound or two more/less in torque is very noticeable when passing or carrying a load. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 09:06:51 PM by Jim Kerr »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2008, 09:01:07 PM »

I guess my question would be why?

What are you trying to achieve?

How about this suggestion.

Weld a steel frying pan to the end of the right pipe and when you stop to ponder how well blocking off the left pipe will work you can fry a few eggs and cook some bacon based on how many RPM's you twist. Also another thought, since you will not need the guts from the left side muffler you could remove them and use the pipe on the left side to store your cereal and fruit so when you stop to ponder blocking off that left pipe you can have desert to go with the eggs and bacon!
Pondering makes me hungry!

:orange:      :bananarock:      :apple:      :pineapple:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #235 on: November 26, 2008, 09:05:24 PM »

Weld a steel frying pan to the end of the right pipe and when you stop to ponder how well blocking off the left pipe will work you can fry a few eggs and cook some bacon based on how many RPM's you twist. Also another thought, since you will not need the guts from the left side muffler you could remove them and use the pipe on the left side to store your cereal and fruit so when you stop to ponder blocking off that left pipe you can have desert to go with the eggs and bacon!
Pondering makes me hungry!

You are funny!  Now I want breakfast! 

:nixweiss:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #236 on: November 26, 2008, 09:06:35 PM »

I thought the 2 into 1 inherently provided better performance, and it sounded as though the current system is close to the 2 into 1, with some performance drain by letting some of the gases flow to the left side.  Perhaps my take on things is a bit rudimentary.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #237 on: November 26, 2008, 09:07:41 PM »

But I do think I'm going to get that bowl of cereal now.  See what you did?

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #238 on: November 26, 2008, 09:20:44 PM »

I thought the 2 into 1 inherently provided better performance, and it sounded as though the current system is close to the 2 into 1, with some performance drain by letting some of the gases flow to the left side.  Perhaps my take on things is a bit rudimentary.

In all reality we have a 2 into 1 system with two pipes.  Exhaust gas goes into a collector where it is then separated if need be.  We yank H-D's chain, but they did a good job designing the 09 bikes.  I actually like the header design.  They clearly spent a lot of time thinking about and testing these changes.  The only thing that hosed all of us is the EPA regs.  I'm sure that MoCo would run these bikes to the max if they could.  They are a big company that gets a lot of crap from everyone.  They can't open them up continue selling our beloved V-Twin's.  It is on the border as it is.  Instead, what they do is let us work around these limits.  They make it hard, but not impossible.  This is why they sell Super Race Tuners, SE parts, put 110" engines on CVO's, etc. 

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #239 on: November 26, 2008, 09:35:29 PM »

Okay, it's time for me to stop thinking tonight and put my brain in holiday mode (how can I get in, eat, and get back out without having to talk to anyone?)  Anyway, I hope all of you have a great Thanksgiving.  BTW, I just had that bowl of cereal and it hit the spot.  Good idea Silver-Black.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 21 queries.