Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29

Author Topic: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide  (Read 180616 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #345 on: March 18, 2009, 10:09:25 PM »

My friend's 08 SEUC was running terrible.  I rode it last week and told him it needed dyno'd badly.  He's got D&D FatCat, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, S&S 570 cam, SEPST.  It took him to 99.72 HP and 102.5 TQ.  He took it to the same place I took mine and I have the same setup minus the cam.  Mine is 90 HP and 107 TQ.    But then, mine is an 09 and his is an 08, so I think I start with a little more TQ than him with the different gearing.  He's one happy camper now.  That thing was a total dog before the tune.  I forgot to look at the base numbers, but I remember it was a huge increase.  He bought it used and the dealer that sold it and did the work doesn't have a dyno and only went with a base map.  HUGE difference guys.  Some of the base maps that are being loaded will not get you to your full potential.  Again, as I had said when I got my dyno done, I don't think this shop does anything at all to make the numbers look bigger to impress their customers, so I think these are very solid and reliable numbers they are reporting.  Also, after seeing those numbers, I don't think that's the cam I would choose.  I would expect some higher TQ numbers if I added a new cam, but the HP is certainly acceptable.

lee champion

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #346 on: March 19, 2009, 04:51:37 PM »

what about the 07 SERK? cat?

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #347 on: March 20, 2009, 07:51:48 AM »

I do not believe there are any Cats on the 07. I just installed a set of Full Sac 2.25" baffles in a 07 CVO ultra and it had none.  Doc

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #348 on: March 20, 2009, 08:53:04 AM »

I do not believe there are any Cats on the 07. I just installed a set of Full Sac 2.25" baffles in a 07 CVO ultra and it had none.  Doc
Doc, The 07 and 08 CVO's Had Cats in the inlet end of the Mufflers, nothing in the headpipes.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #349 on: March 21, 2009, 07:38:47 AM »

I removed the stock baffles and never looked to see if they were inside the baffle, they were not in the muffler, as it looked the same as my 09 SERG mufflers with the baffles out. Will have to take a look next time.  Thanks Doc

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #350 on: March 21, 2009, 12:04:55 PM »

Doc, Ill attach a picture, 06, 07, and 08 CVO baggers have used this baffle, thats why I already had a core drill when I got the 09.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #351 on: March 22, 2009, 08:21:23 AM »

Thanks for the pic. Have a set of Full Sac baffles to put in another 07 CVO ultra, will look this time.  Thanks Doc

Big-T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09" SERG O&B
« Reply #352 on: May 10, 2009, 08:48:14 AM »

I just drilled out my cat. Used an old Stanley 1/2 gear drive drill. Held onto the saddlebag bracket and used my feet to push. Once I figured this out it took about 10 minutes to go 4". When I was using my arms I was wearing down fast and was only going about 1/4" in 10 minutes. Thanks for all the advice. T.
Never too old to Rock N Roll but too young to die!

laynlow

« Reply #353 on: May 12, 2009, 06:39:57 AM »

Just when you think everything is going along well, then. . .
Attempted the removal of my CAT over the weekend. Had my Mcgills coring bit all set up along with my electric drill, oil and a cup of coffee. I'm going slow and steady with continious pressure, removing the bit and applying some oil every few minutes. Just when I thought I made it through the CAT because the bit showed less resistance. To my fricken surprize the end of the bit broke off inside the headpipe about 80% through the CAT. I'll be ordering a new headpipe from somewhere now and rethinking cost saving do-it yourself options from now on. I know alot of guys have done this with great success, but just wanted to share the possibilty of this happening to someone else. I spoke with a friend of mine who is a contractor and he said it's not the first time he's seen the cutting portion of the bits break off. Live and learn. . . :oops:

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #354 on: May 12, 2009, 07:13:15 AM »

Just when you think everything is going along well, then. . .
Attempted the removal of my CAT over the weekend. Had my Mcgills coring bit all set up along with my electric drill, oil and a cup of coffee. I'm going slow and steady with continious pressure, removing the bit and applying some oil every few minutes. Just when I thought I made it through the CAT because the bit showed less resistance. To my fricken surprize the end of the bit broke off inside the headpipe about 80% through the CAT. I'll be ordering a new headpipe from somewhere now and rethinking cost saving do-it yourself options from now on. I know alot of guys have done this with great success, but just wanted to share the possibilty of this happening to someone else. I spoke with a friend of mine who is a contractor and he said it's not the first time he's seen the cutting portion of the bits break off. Live and learn. . . :oops:

All the people trying this method are going the hard way IMO. You may still be able to salvage your header.
Just cut the sucker in half, clean out the guts, weld it back together, you can't see the weld under the heat shield anyway! I know there are a  couple ways to "gut a cat", but this way is the best and easiest, all you need is a welder.....they are  all over the place.
Think of the time and money involved.
HOGMIKE

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #355 on: May 12, 2009, 07:26:34 AM »

why are you coring the head pip, I thought this process was let go in favor of the total removal
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

jamesrgarner

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #356 on: May 12, 2009, 09:06:13 AM »

I bought a non-cat headpipe and the 1 3/4 baffles from Steve at FullSac.  The sound is better but not exactly what I want.  I had Rhinehart TD on my RKC and they were too loud.  What do you guys think about 2 vs. 2 1/4 as far as sound is concerned? 
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #357 on: May 12, 2009, 10:30:34 AM »

I bought a non-cat headpipe and the 1 3/4 baffles from Steve at FullSac.  The sound is better but not exactly what I want.  I had Rhinehart TD on my RKC and they were too loud.  What do you guys think about 2 vs. 2 1/4 as far as sound is concerned? 

Wish I'd known you were in Monroe! I was there a couple weeks ago, you coulda road my Ultra with the 1 3/4  and heard the sound yourself!! I like the "quiet" at the expense of giving up 1.2 HP.
HOGMIKE

roadglide57

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #358 on: May 12, 2009, 03:43:39 PM »

I was just getting ready to change out my head pipe with a non cat one and was going to use stock mufflers for a while will there be a problem with it running lean

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #359 on: May 12, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »

I was just getting ready to change out my head pipe with a non cat one and was going to use stock mufflers for a while will there be a problem with it running lean

So long as you reinstall the 02 sensors and the system is in closed loop mode, you should be fine. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 25 queries.