Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29

Author Topic: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide  (Read 180607 times)

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #375 on: June 06, 2009, 01:01:54 PM »

I do not really trust a welded pipe and the dealers are " mystirious " about such things here in germany , the next step for them would be to make nothing further for warranty works when there would be a case of it .

Is this the part your concerned with looks like it is part of the European head pipe,

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #376 on: June 06, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »

Thsi seems to be the area where the ex-control is located but it is inside not outside ( like on the picture ). And on your pic it seems to be removed and the hole closed .
But you can see at your pic that the area is more narrow at this point .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #377 on: June 06, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »

Thsi seems to be the area where the ex-control is located but it is inside not outside ( like on the picture ). And on your pic it seems to be removed and the hole closed .
But you can see at your pic that the area is more narrow at this point .

If you can check the parts book, I seem to remember only 2 part numbers for the head pipe, one with cat, one without.
I think the exhaust control valve was "added on" and secured with clamps. I'd have to have a look at an HDI bike,
It's been awhile, so, I could  be wrong!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:35:54 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #378 on: June 07, 2009, 03:16:31 AM »

I have been laying under the bike yesterday and did not find any mounting clamps , but i will do it again and will take a closer look .
But there are no clamps , this ex-control seems to be fixed thrugh this hole , inside the fold and outside the mechanic part with the spring and the wire to the actuator .
From what bike is this pic above ?
A modified european or a stock US one ?
When you look at the first page of this thread then you can see Jim Kerr`s pipe , and there is no narrow area where he had to drill through , so this ex-control cannot be installed at this kind of pipe , there must be a additional one beside the two you wrote , Cat and NoCat one . ????????
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 03:23:31 AM by Highjagger »

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #379 on: June 07, 2009, 08:17:08 AM »

I do not really trust a welded pipe and the dealers are " mystirious " about such things here in germany , the next step for them would be to make nothing further for warranty works when there would be a case of it .

I know the weld put into my pipe to put it back together is much better than the MoCo welds where they put it together.  I seriously doubt my dealer could ever notice it, unless they got under the bike
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #380 on: June 07, 2009, 08:46:11 AM »

The german exhaust control :

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #381 on: June 07, 2009, 10:01:15 AM »

The german exhaust control :

Could you lay a mirror on the floor and take a shot from below? It would give us a better view behind the heat shield, or, even better, take the heat shield off!

Thanks
HOGMIKE

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #382 on: June 07, 2009, 11:35:37 AM »

While you're at it, maybe you can explain what this device is supposed to accomplish.  Not that it's important, but the curiosity is killing me.  I'm wondering why some idiot bureaucrat in California hasn't mandated it on CA motorcycles.
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #383 on: June 07, 2009, 12:25:58 PM »

this exhaust control closes the right-side muffler because of noise reduction ( the right muffler is bigger cored than the left one here in germany ) when you are about 50km/h ( about 30mph) fast . the emission flows to the left side and it is very silent ( max 80db ) .
 When you are faster than 80km/h ( about 50mph ) then the ex-control opens the right side again.
You are not allowed to produce more than 80db between speed 30 - 50 mph .
Don`t ask why , they are getting more and more strange in this world

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #384 on: June 11, 2009, 07:14:13 PM »

this exhaust control closes the right-side muffler because of noise reduction ( the right muffler is bigger cored than the left one here in germany ) when you are about 50km/h ( about 30mph) fast . the emission flows to the left side and it is very silent ( max 80db ) .
 When you are faster than 80km/h ( about 50mph ) then the ex-control opens the right side again.
You are not allowed to produce more than 80db between speed 30 - 50 mph .
Don`t ask why , they are getting more and more strange in this world

I had a quick look in the parts book today, found 3 head pipes listed:
66848-09...........$523.20
66849-09...........$387.20
66855-09...........$387.20
Not quite sure, but I bet the 66848 has the control valve for your ex. management system!
The other 2 listed are for cat and non-cat head pipes.
I shoulda bought the book, but, I didn't have the $30 he wanted!
HOGMIKE

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #385 on: June 12, 2009, 07:57:56 AM »

All the people trying this method are going the hard way IMO. You may still be able to salvage your header.
Just cut the sucker in half, clean out the guts, weld it back together, you can't see the weld under the heat shield anyway! I know there are a  couple ways to "gut a cat", but this way is the best and easiest, all you need is a welder.....they are  all over the place.
Think of the time and money involved.

Amen...Quit dickin around with a half-ass fix of trying to drill the cat,  cut the friggin pipe , gut it , weld back,..done...For those that don't want to do that ..Send it out to Steve ... use the TTS Tuner and map package he has..Done Deal   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #386 on: June 12, 2009, 09:30:05 AM »

Amen...Quit dickin around with a half-ass fix of trying to drill the cat,  cut the friggin pipe , gut it , weld back,..done...For those that don't want to do that ..Send it out to Steve ... use the TTS Tuner and map package he has..Done Deal   
totally agree :2vrolijk_21:
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #387 on: June 14, 2009, 01:59:49 PM »

I had a quick look in the parts book today, found 3 head pipes listed:
66848-09...........$523.20
66849-09...........$387.20
66855-09...........$387.20
Not quite sure, but I bet the 66848 has the control valve for your ex. management system!
The other 2 listed are for cat and non-cat head pipes.
I shoulda bought the book, but, I didn't have the $30 he wanted!

I guess you are right , mine is the " cheapest " like allways HoHoHo .

searay540

• Silver---the fastest one!
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon/Black Diamond/Burgundy Blaze
« Reply #388 on: June 17, 2009, 07:17:33 AM »

Wow...from my boss' perspective, I probably wasted most of yesterday reading all 390 posts yesterday at work. However, I think it may have saved me a lot of time and trouble. A great big THANK YOU to Jim for starting this and his patient explanations, as well to all the others who provided sound thoughts, suggestions, and somtimes comic relief. This is truly a great site and community.

For me, I am not willing to try this on a brand new $30K bike because there is a more than likely chance I will screw something up. So I am going to get the stock non-CVO RG headpipe and go from there. Since I am not a mechanic by trade, and have given up trying to fix my own car since they made them computerized (remember the old days when a car's engine compartment was big enough for the engine and YOU?... :oops:...I digress!), I do have a c ouple of questions:

1) Since the HD dealer is getting me the head pipe, do you think they will have any issues with installing them? I haven't asked yet
2) Is this as really simple as taking off the current mufflers and head pipe and installing the non-cat headpipe and existing mufflers? This I might be comfortable with doing myself, and frankly might enjoy.
3) Will the bike need to be re-tuned? Sorry if that question has been answered in here before, but I thought I may have seen varied answers on that. Dealer does have a dyno, but will the dealer be able/allowed to make the bike run a little richer?
4) Obviously, mufflers/baffles will be next: should the bike be re-tuned then?
5) Finally, is there a way to read this thread as a single web page, so I could print it out for future reference? I guess once there are so many replies the "ALL" option disappears, and I do understand the reason being it would take a long time to load. But it sure would be great!

Thanks, and I am sorry if these questions have been asked and answered before. It is sometimes difficult for me to put some of the answers in context, or the question was asked a little differently.

This site is a treasure, and like someone said when I introduced myself, it will be costing me money :)

Sam

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #389 on: June 17, 2009, 07:29:25 AM »

Wow...from my boss' perspective, I probably wasted most of yesterday reading all 390 posts yesterday at work. However, I think it may have saved me a lot of time and trouble. A great big THANK YOU to Jim for starting this and his patient explanations, as well to all the others who provided sound thoughts, suggestions, and somtimes comic relief. This is truly a great site and community.

For me, I am not willing to try this on a brand new $30K bike because there is a more than likely chance I will screw something up. So I am going to get the stock non-CVO RG headpipe and go from there. Since I am not a mechanic by trade, and have given up trying to fix my own car since they made them computerized (remember the old days when a car's engine compartment was big enough for the engine and YOU?... :oops:...I digress!), I do have a c ouple of questions:

1) Since the HD dealer is getting me the head pipe, do you think they will have any issues with installing them? I haven't asked yet
2) Is this as really simple as taking off the current mufflers and head pipe and installing the non-cat headpipe and existing mufflers? This I might be comfortable with doing myself, and frankly might enjoy.
3) Will the bike need to be re-tuned? Sorry if that question has been answered in here before, but I thought I may have seen varied answers on that. Dealer does have a dyno, but will the dealer be able/allowed to make the bike run a little richer?
4) Obviously, mufflers/baffles will be next: should the bike be re-tuned then?
5) Finally, is there a way to read this thread as a single web page, so I could print it out for future reference? I guess once there are so many replies the "ALL" option disappears, and I do understand the reason being it would take a long time to load. But it sure would be great!

Thanks, and I am sorry if these questions have been asked and answered before. It is sometimes difficult for me to put some of the answers in context, or the question was asked a little differently.

This site is a treasure, and like someone said when I introduced myself, it will be costing me money :)

Sam

I guess the question for YOU would be: what are you trying to accomplish?
1) do you want "louder"?
2) do you want "more power"?
3) do you want "cooler running"?
4) do you want "all the above"??

IMHO: on two of my bikes, I run the Fullsac baffles, TTS tuner, otherwise pretty much stock. I have found NO issues with the bikes, both run great. They run cooler and I like the quieter sound of the baffles, just a little louder than stock.

BTW: welcome to the site!
You can ask your dealer with question #1, they are all different.
HOGMIKE
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 22 queries.