Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One Last Ride Before Scoot is Crated  (Read 1315 times)

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
One Last Ride Before Scoot is Crated
« on: July 07, 2012, 05:45:19 PM »

July 24th movers will be at the house to crate the bike and trailer and ship it off to Germany. Been off the last two weeks and put almost 2k miles on the bike. Last Tuesday morning I headed to Cleveland with trailer in tow. Very little highway riding. Mostly US highways and state roads. Finally got a pic of the bike by the old toll booth building in PA on US 40 near Uniontown. Perfect riding weather going up.  Coming back this past Monday was another story. Wasn't bad till I got to Cumberland MD.  Temps shot up considerably from what they were at Keyser Ridge (I-68 and US 40) and got worse the further south I got. Best MPG I've seen to date with the trailer. Worst tank was 33 MPG. Best was 40 MPG!

Wife wanted to make on more overnight run to the BRP. Left the house around 11:30AM yesterday and checked into a Waynesboro hotel at 3:30. Once we hit Richmond it was US 250 all the way up. Couldn't believe how light traffic was on 250.  Never held up by a slower vehicle. Had the cruise set at 60MPH most of the way. Came back today via US 60.  Getting to 60 was probably the best part of the ride. Rt 6 to US 29 to State Route 56 to US 60. SR56 is a great road.  Again never held up by slower traffic. All the traffic seemed to be going the other direction. As soon as we got on 60 we went by a old garage with a 58 Chevy Del Ray in front of it with the old police pinball light on top of it. We stopped to check it out. Owner was in the garage and showed us the restored  56 chevy and 65 Mustang he had in it.  The guy was a big Andy Griffith fan and moved the Del Ray from the barn out back to the front. Yes...the badge on the door has Mayberry on it. Other than the heat (at one point the not so accurate OAT gauge was pegged at 120) it was a great overnighter. Recommendation: If you're ever near the intersection of I-64 and I-81 at Staunton VA and you have the munchies for good German food, head to Stuarts Draft VA. At the intersection of 340 and 11 is the Edelweiss Restaurant.  Great food and even better beer.   

Z10

• Full CVO Member

58 Del Ray
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »

58 Del Ray near Buckingham VA

Z10

• Full CVO Member

Pic 2 of Del Ray and Bike
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 05:48:58 PM »

One More

Z10

• Full CVO Member

Old Building and Scoot
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »

One of the those cool old buildings that make the perfect photo op.  It on 56, the west side of the BRP in Vesuvius, VA

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
Re: Old Building and Scoot
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 08:15:26 AM »

One of the those cool old buildings that make the perfect photo op.  It on 56, the west side of the BRP in Vesuvius, VA

Z10,

Another couple, his dad, wife and I did the BRP earlier this spring, what a GREAT RIDE! Pretty much the same route that you took. That little town "Bukingham" has a great twistie road that's for sure. I too stopped at the same "ole building" and took some photos. We got stopped by the train, so I pulled the scooter right up on the sidewalk to take a photo.

Can't wait till the next trip up there on the parkway!

Ride Safe,

YELLOWBIRD
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: One Last Ride Before Scoot is Crated
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:26:12 AM »

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. Had forgotten about those old lights on police cruisers. Hope  you're going to Germany with your bike. Would hate to see it over there alone.

Z10

• Full CVO Member

Re: One Last Ride Before Scoot is Crated
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 01:32:37 PM »

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. Had forgotten about those old lights on police cruisers. Hope  you're going to Germany with your bike. Would hate to see it over there alone.

Bike and trailer are going.  Hope to have it there in time for some fall riding.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 24 queries.