Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Lifter oil hole orientation  (Read 31368 times)

workingdan

• Full CVO Member
Lifter oil hole orientation
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »

I am putting me bike back together, New cam, lifter, pushrods and roller rockers. I have been looking and have found alot of people say it dosent matter which way the lifter oil hole goes. My question is if it dosent matter, why does woods make directional lifters? So what way should I install them???  Thanks
2018 SE ultra limited anniversary #460 V&H MK45 slip ons

Sold 2015 SE Road Glide Ultra. V&H power duals, V&H monster square mufflers. FP3 tuner

SOLD 2013 SE ultra. Fuel moto 2/1/2 head pipe, Pro touring mufflers, woods T222 cams, vision tuner.

SOLD 2007 SE ultra. full sac true duals with 2" baffels. big mouth air cleaner. Tman performance Stage 4 Thumper Series 110 " Kit. Tman 625 cam. SE race tuner. ultra style hard tour pak

SOLD 2005 SE FatBoy. Stage 1 AC, Thunderheader

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
Re: Lifter oil hole orientation
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:54:50 PM »

I was wondering the same thing till I installed Woods lifters this past weekend and campared to the OEM. Woods lifters will go in one way and the hole will always be aligned with the oil passage in the case.  OEM lifters can go in two ways. Either way you go, the oil hole is off to the side, not adjacent to the case oil passage. Apparenty the idea it to get the oil to the lifter as quickly and efficiently as possible. Not sure about S&S or the other manufacturers.

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »

The MoCo faces the oil hole toward the cylinders....however it doesn't matter because the oil fills the recess in the lifter 360 degrees.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

workingdan

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »

Ok so I did my resurch and I installed them as close to the oil passage. The bleed hole facing out. Seems to make sence to me.
Thanks for the replys
2018 SE ultra limited anniversary #460 V&H MK45 slip ons

Sold 2015 SE Road Glide Ultra. V&H power duals, V&H monster square mufflers. FP3 tuner

SOLD 2013 SE ultra. Fuel moto 2/1/2 head pipe, Pro touring mufflers, woods T222 cams, vision tuner.

SOLD 2007 SE ultra. full sac true duals with 2" baffels. big mouth air cleaner. Tman performance Stage 4 Thumper Series 110 " Kit. Tman 625 cam. SE race tuner. ultra style hard tour pak

SOLD 2005 SE FatBoy. Stage 1 AC, Thunderheader

hotrod98

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 11:32:15 AM »

service manual says face them in---- but i agree w/ Doc oil is 360

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 10:34:10 PM »

I am putting me bike back together, New cam, lifter, pushrods and roller rockers. I have been looking and have found alot of people say it dosent matter which way the lifter oil hole goes. My question is if it dosent matter, why does woods make directional lifters? So what way should I install them???  Thanks

On an EVO you want the lifter feed hole facing the feed from the case.  TC88 oils 360 degrees around the lifter feed but old habits die hard...  In reality it doesn't matter on a TC88. 
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »

I would want mine faced in. I just installed a set of new HD lifters in a friends 07 SG and they had the oil Holes directional also. these hole went the the front.
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

UltraNutZ

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 07:57:03 PM »

I would want mine faced in. I just installed a set of new HD lifters in a friends 07 SG and they had the oil Holes directional also. these hole went the the front.

I know this is an old thread but figured I throw in my experience to maybe help someone else doing this.

I just happened to be pulling mine a few minutes ago when I stumbled on this thread and they are different now on the 103s I guess.

oil passages on the rear cylinder lifter sleeves are at the back of the hole facing forward and the lifter oil passages were facing the holes, being rearward.
oil passages on the front cylinder lifter sleeves are at the front of the hole facing to the rear and the lifter oil passages were facing the holes, being forward.

As Doc pointed out I don't think it really matters, but I'll put them back in the way they came out.

lonewolf55

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 12:19:24 AM »

oil passages on the rear cylinder lifter sleeves are at the back of the hole facing forward and the lifter oil passages were facing the holes, being rearward.
oil passages on the front cylinder lifter sleeves are at the front of the hole facing to the rear and the lifter oil passages were facing the holes, being forward.
As Doc pointed out I don't think it really matters, but I'll put them back in the way they came out.
Those are the C's. I wouldn't put them back in.

UltraNutZ

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 08:36:10 AM »

Those are the C's. I wouldn't put them back in.

Why's that sir?  I've read many a reputable threads (not just people's opinions) about the differences in quality from A to B to C lifters and them now being mass produced down in Mexico but all in all from the builders that I talk to, the C lifters are perfectly fine.  I can honestly say I'll never buy another set of Woods Directional Lifters.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 08:48:17 AM »

i think that many folks consider it a bad idea to reuse lifters.

they think its like trying to reuse gaskets

to

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 09:25:57 AM »

Even Harley abandoned the "C" lifters in the CVO's after the failure rate in the 110 engines worsened with them in place.  Harley didn't switch to a more expensive lifter in 2013 just for the hell of it; they were trying to reduce the major warranty expense they incurred due to lifter failures destroying engines.

Folks need to separate the issues with lifters.  First is the roller failures which can and have destroyed engines.  Then you have the performance related issues of leak down rates, etc., that are less serious.  Just because a "C" lifter works in some builds per some builders, over relatively low miles, doesn't mean they will live very long in other builds with different cam designs and valve spring pressures.  I'd be inclined to heed the warnings from all the failures reported on the 110's and go with a different brand.  Ever heard that one about where there is smoke there is usually fire?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

UltraNutZ

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »

Even Harley abandoned the "C" lifters in the CVO's after the failure rate in the 110 engines worsened with them in place.  Harley didn't switch to a more expensive lifter in 2013 just for the hell of it; they were trying to reduce the major warranty expense they incurred due to lifter failures destroying engines.

Folks need to separate the issues with lifters.  First is the roller failures which can and have destroyed engines.  Then you have the performance related issues of leak down rates, etc., that are less serious.  Just because a "C" lifter works in some builds per some builders, over relatively low miles, doesn't mean they will live very long in other builds with different cam designs and valve spring pressures.  I'd be inclined to heed the warnings from all the failures reported on the 110's and go with a different brand.  Ever heard that one about where there is smoke there is usually fire?

Jerry

gotcha.  Can you elaborate on what lifter they went to on the 13s?  Is it a "D" lifter now?

UltraNutZ

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 09:29:32 AM »

and just for the record.  I'm not questioning anyone here.  Simply obtaining valuable/usable information for the cranium..

UltraNutZ

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 10:31:07 AM »

and I stand corrected guys.. it's the "B" lifters that the builders like so much..

ah well. looks like I'm changing lifters again.. :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.