Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Transmission oil  (Read 4535 times)

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: Transmission oil
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »

Before I did my last road trip, I changed the trans fluid and installed the 75-140 Lucas gear oil for V-Twin Transmission.
It was noisy within a few miles, Dealer stated they used the Formula + with the 1,000 mile service they did, so I drained the Lucas wrote defective on the bottle sent it back and refilled the trans with the Formula +, it was quiet again.
We put on just under 2300 miles last week and still quiet and smooth shifting, neutral is easy to find.
Everyone has a preference on the oils they like, for me in the trans and primary I will stay with the Formula +.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

J.D.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 05:09:27 PM »

If it works good then no reason to change.

F+ specs out viscosity wise very close to 20w-50 motor oil.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 06:40:25 PM »

I was ok with the motor oil in the transmission. I've only switched to a gear lube because I didn't want the expense of having to change the oil every 5k. I'm a cheep mug :huepfenlol2:
I'm not sure if the 20w50 motor oil really needs changing at 5k or if it could go 10, 15, or 20k  :nixweiss: not that I'd like to see how it goes without changing it if I'd stay with the motor oil.

I just look at it that it's a transmission so use a tranny lube

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 06:54:19 PM »

I was ok with the motor oil in the transmission. I've only switched to a gear lube because I didn't want the expense of having to change the oil every 5k. I'm a cheep mug :huepfenlol2:
I'm not sure if the 20w50 motor oil really needs changing at 5k or if it could go 10, 15, or 20k  :nixweiss: not that I'd like to see how it goes without changing it if I'd stay with the motor oil.

I just look at it that it's a transmission so use a tranny lube

:2vrolijk_21:      The "one product in all three holes" thing was more about marketing and convenience than it was about being the best solution.  Throwing a few extra additives in the motor oil formula to make it meet the minimum requirements for the transmission is NOT the same as running a lubricant designed from the beginning for a gearbox.  If motor oil was really as good in a gearbox as real gear lube, why do they still sell gear lube?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.D.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »

Yep, SYN3 works but is really about making maximum profit.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 08:41:06 PM »

Formula + was 10 bucks with tax.
Syn 3 was a couple more.
But price for me was not the deciding factor.
The sound of silence played a big role.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 10:40:45 PM »

im a novice, so what gear lube should I look for at a car parts store? thank you
With the heat you get in SD, I'd use a good synthetic 75w-140.  I used AMSOIL 75w-140 Severe Gear Lube in my Twin Cam bikes.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

stevieb1973

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 11:01:11 PM »

well, its done. after all the help you guys gave me and all my research I decided to go with mobile 1 in engine, RL shock proof in trans., and bel-ray in primary. thank all of you for your interest and info
2007 flhrse3 110

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 08:32:38 AM »

I'd take most any fresh, clean gear oil over the ideal stuff (whatever that is) left in too long.

what do you consider to be 'too long'?

i just changed my tranny oil couple of days ago.  i've been using the supertech full synthetic 75w-90 from walmart.  last changed at 20,000 miles.  have 40,000 on my bike now.  when i drained the tranny, the oil came out looking as clean as it did when it went in.  no odd clunks, difficulty shifting, or any other negative effects that i noticed.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

J.D.

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 08:55:58 AM »

Too long would be beyond recommended interval, contaminated by water, visibly dark, excessive metallic particulate on drain plug magnet...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »

what do you consider to be 'too long'?

i just changed my tranny oil couple of days ago.  i've been using the supertech full synthetic 75w-90 from walmart.  last changed at 20,000 miles.  have 40,000 on my bike now.  when i drained the tranny, the oil came out looking as clean as it did when it went in.  no odd clunks, difficulty shifting, or any other negative effects that i noticed.

Transmission and gearbox lubes work under very different conditions than motor oil, and they do not need to be changed anywhere near as often as motor oil.  Motor oil is exposed to combustion byproducts and fuel dilution, neither of which affect the transmission.  In reality, even Harley's latest 20k mile change interval is too conservative.  Look at the maintenance intervals for the typical car or SUV these days and see what they say about transmission, PTU, and differential lube changes.  The one I am looking at right now for an AWD Ford SUV is 150k miles for all three.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 12:55:09 PM »

i agree jerry.  i was wondering what someone else considered 'too long' as there are a lot of folks that subscribe to the 'all 3 every 2500 miles' philosophy.  i tend to err on the side of the mfg recommendation.  like you said, modern car gearboxes are spec'd at 100,000 + before a gearbox oil change is necessary.  i can't believe that our transmissions are that much harder on gear lube than a car gearbox..

now having said that, i do change my primary every 5k with the engine oil.  it's just too dirty to go the full 10k imo.  and at $15 for 4 qts, it's cheap enough to change.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.