Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35

Author Topic: CVO to Alaska  (Read 82293 times)

springsure88

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1977 XLCR
    • CVO3: 1968 FLH
    • Port Macquarie
Re: CVO to Alaska
« Reply #495 on: April 28, 2015, 05:27:07 AM »

I did 800 kilometres yesterday at my own pace, stopped where I wanted  and enjoyed every second. I stopped riding with groups after witnessing a few serious accidents where the riders ego wrote cheques their ability couldn't cash. Not much fun sitting on the side of some remote road waiting for an ambulance with a badly injured rider.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:31:51 AM by 110 Mofo »

ultrarider123

« Reply #496 on: April 28, 2015, 07:25:55 AM »

I stopped riding in large groups in 1996 after a disastrous local toy run.  WILL NOT do that again.  I like groups of 4 or less most of the time unless the others are experienced riders.  Otherwise, a one bike group will suffice.  A single bike and 1,000 miles of highway can clear the head....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:12:38 AM by Haird »

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #497 on: April 28, 2015, 08:14:18 AM »

Your picture gives new meaning to "down under".... :2vrolijk_21:

Fixed it for ya.

I stopped riding in large groups in 1996 after a disastrous local toy run.  WILL NOT do that again.  I like groups of 4 or less most of the time unless the others are experienced riders.  Otherwise, a one bike group will suffice.  A single bike and 1,000 miles of highway can clear the head....

With you there Haird .. I ride with a few friends locally but riding solo across country is the ultimate escape.

ultrarider123

« Reply #498 on: April 28, 2015, 09:18:19 AM »

With you there Haird .. I ride with a few friends locally but riding solo across country is the ultimate escape.

Preach on, Simon!

Besides the great scenery, I think that's why we enjoy these kind of threads from folks like Fred/Indenial.  For those of us that have taken on a cross country trip alone (or maybe with one other bike) once or numerous times, it brings back many great memories.  For those that have yet to venture on one, it's inspiration to get out there and do it.   :2vrolijk_21:

I think that's why we enjoy "Easy Rider" so much.  It's not the drugs, women or anything other than the TRIP.  They had a destination but it was the trip that was the story....oh, so true

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #499 on: April 28, 2015, 10:21:56 AM »

Couldn't agree with you more. Same experience for me and large groups, never again.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #500 on: April 28, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »

Count me in. I ride alone 95% of the time. I rode to North Carolina last year from Iowa alone. I enjoy it. Sometimes I ride with my uncle who doesn't drink either which is nice.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #501 on: April 29, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »

I have ridden over 75,000 miles alone, and never with a group or another rider.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #502 on: January 30, 2017, 12:11:54 PM »

I just re-visited my old thread this past weekend. Wow what a trip. I just wanted to emphasize to anyone who is/has thought about doing a trip like this to "just do it".  There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of some aspect of this trip.  I have a picture enlarged to a poster of the Arctic Circle in my office. It was a blessing for sure.  I am aware of several people that were planning the trip, but some reason couldn't do it.  Others had to cancel out do to other riders canceling.  There will always be a reason not to go.  But when you do it, the memories just don't go away.  Ask Dawg, who made the trip last summer--Congratulations.  I'm sure he would be more than happy to answer questions as well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:46:18 PM by Indenial »
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #503 on: January 30, 2017, 03:30:57 PM »

I just re-visited my old thread this past weekend. Wow what a trip. I just wanted to emphasize to anyone who is/has thought about doing a trip like this to "just do it".  There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of some aspect of this trip.

I'm with you on the Memories...  While I live, and get to ride all over Alaska, my trip to Texas and back in 2012 still sits on top of the list as rides I wish to duplicate.  My oldest Son and I road down together, and then we picked up my Wife for the trip back home... loads of fun and memories for sure.

Thanks so much for your Ride Report, it was/and is, and enjoyable read.

T-Hawk
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #504 on: January 30, 2017, 04:20:13 PM »

It is a very interesting post and read.  I just retired and either this spring or next I am riding around the country in a rectangle(with zig zags). I have some places I just need to stop (family) and others I just want to stop.  I will be doing this alone except my wife will fly up to the NE for last section down the east coast to ride with me.  That is if work will let her.  She is real worried about 3 to 4 weeks of riding alone but I look forward to it. I am just starting the planning for the trip. 

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2013 CVO R/K
« Reply #505 on: January 30, 2017, 04:46:28 PM »

Just got around to reading the entire trip report, very cool, thanks for sharing. Not sure I could do that many miles, but sure would like to try.

Paul  :drink:
2013 CVO RoadKing

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #506 on: April 01, 2017, 02:06:42 PM »

I just re-visited my old thread this past weekend. Wow what a trip. I just wanted to emphasize to anyone who is/has thought about doing a trip like this to "just do it".  There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of some aspect of this trip.  I have a picture enlarged to a poster of the Arctic Circle in my office. It was a blessing for sure.  I am aware of several people that were planning the trip, but some reason couldn't do it.  Others had to cancel out do to other riders cancelling.  There will always be a reason not to go.  But when you do it, the memories just don't go away. Ask Dawg, who made the trip last summer--Congratulations.  I'm sure he would be more than happy to answer questions as well.

Absolutely!!!! This was by far the best trip I have ever taken. Even though I had 2 friends cancel at the last minute, I still went. My Mother and Laura both begged me not to do it alone. It really isn't that hard of a trip EXCEPT for the last 300 miles of the Alaska Highway in the Yukon. If you have ever thought about this DO IT!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #507 on: April 04, 2017, 08:51:48 AM »

Indenial, Thank you for documenting your trip! Enjoyed It!

I just re-visited my old thread this past weekend. Wow what a trip. I just wanted to emphasize to anyone who is/has thought about doing a trip like this to "just do it".  There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of some aspect of this trip.  I have a picture enlarged to a poster of the Arctic Circle in my office. It was a blessing for sure.  I am aware of several people that were planning the trip, but some reason couldn't do it.  Others had to cancel out do to other riders cancelling.  There will always be a reason not to go.  But when you do it, the memories just don't go away.  Ask Dawg, who made the trip last summer--Congratulations.  I'm sure he would be more than happy to answer questions as well.

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

JMK

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE7(sold)
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE3(sold)
« Reply #508 on: May 11, 2019, 10:09:10 PM »

Getting ready to make the same trip, this thread has been a great help. Thanks Indenial for the information on where to stay on the way!!!

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #509 on: May 13, 2019, 04:20:01 PM »

Getting ready to make the same trip, this thread has been a great help. Thanks Indenial for the information on where to stay on the way!!!
[/color]

You will find plenty of places to stay along the way. Also there was plenty of gas on my entire trip from Maryland. The only place I will tell you that you will want a reservation is in Toc Alaska. It's kinda of a staging area in and out of Alaska. The last 300 miles of the Alcan Hwy in the Yukon will be the worse. Make sure you take Hwy 37 on your way home. It is at the Yukon/British Columbia line. It runs off to the right. That is one of the best riding on the entire trip. Oh and watch for Bears!!! Other then that enjoy your trip and post a lot of pics!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 26 queries.