Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Battery - Tired of HD batteries failing pre-maturely....  (Read 3255 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Battery - Tired of HD batteries failing pre-maturely....
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 11:46:52 AM »

Admit it.  You're still mad you can no longer get 37 years out of a battery like you did that first one.
May not get the length I did on the original OEM battery but I've gotten twice the time out of current one then I did out of the second OEM battery I purchased... for that I'm happy.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 12:28:53 PM »

May not get the length I did on the original OEM battery but I've gotten twice the time out of current one then I did out of the second OEM battery I purchased... for that I'm happy.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Wonder if anyone has ever color matched the outside of their battery to the color of their bike?  Twolane would know....   :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 02:32:49 PM »

Wonder if anyone has ever color matched the outside of their battery to the color of their bike?  Twolane would know....   :nixweiss:

I had one in the red bike (the 05 SEEG) for a couple years.  Got to be a picture here somewhere.  I rattle canned that bitch.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 02:52:50 PM »

I had one in the red bike (the 05 SEEG) for a couple years.  Got to be a picture here somewhere.  I rattle canned that bitch.

Yes. No pic needed.  My faith in stealth chrome, etc. is restored.

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 12:04:49 AM »

my original battery held up pretty good but when time to replace I read aftermarkets were better & cheaper.
not sure if there is one near where you live, but I ordered online for a 10% discount the high rated made in USA grey Duracell Ultra & picked up same day at the local Batteries Plus. I see they even offer a lighter & more durable Lithium now.
Here’s the link for my model to show options: https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/motorcycle/harley=davidson/cvo-softail-springer-fxstsse3/1584cc/2009#finder-box-top

just remember to check the ground cables to the frame, careful not setting off the alarm under the seat below the gas tins I had to disconnect & clean off corrosion on the ground cables to frame, starts more easier with battery & ACR’s better grounded to frame after bike sitting too long w/o battery tender.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:43:35 AM by DarkEagle »

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 12:27:24 PM »

I have actually had very good luck with Batteries Plus.  4 years plus on the Roadglide and 1 year on the Fatboy both still showing no signs of failure.

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 04:53:42 PM »

Gotten 5 years out of each of 3 HD batteries, got 2 new Dekas have to wait and see on those.

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 09:16:33 AM »

I have actually had very good luck with Batteries Plus.  4 years plus on the Roadglide and 1 year on the Fatboy both still showing no signs of failure.

I’ve had good luck with Batteries Plus also.

I don’t ride much & still need a battery tender, but my original HD battery lasted about 10 years and still running fine on the Duracell Ultra from Batteries Plus I replaced it with about 3 years ago.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 10:47:16 AM »

I’ve had good luck with Batteries Plus also.

I don’t ride much & still need a battery tender, but my original HD battery lasted about 10 years and still running fine on the Duracell Ultra from Batteries Plus I replaced it with about 3 years ago.

Trusting a battery anything close to 10 years would freak me out.  Unlike the batteries of (most of) our youth that would fade off in to the sunset and give some hint as they died these sealed AGM batteries tend to work fine than very quickly crap out.  So little effective warning.  That can suck when you're on the road or even away just away from the house. 

Service calls are expensive.  These bikes are TOO HEAVY to push around much.  Sitting in some random parking lot just sucks (unless you're a phone addicted thistle-whicker who plays Candy Crush for two hours waiting for road service to show up and give you a jump and never even notices the passage of time.)

The goal (for me) is not to see how many years a battery can be pushed to.  The goal (for me) is to hopefully use the battery long enough to be satisfied it's done a job but replace it before it bites me in the ass.  Because I don't play Candy Crush.

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2020, 12:42:40 AM »

Twolanerider, you make a good point & something I need to keep in mind more on maintenance.

...but then thinking of the experiences I’ve dealt with the local dealer & warranty issues not covered by HD, I been bit in the ass far too many times and I don’t play Candy Crush either.

Don’t get me wrong, the exhilaration I get riding my 2009 CVO Springer, I can’t imagine buying any other HD or other brand, still love my bike...

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2020, 08:52:18 AM »

Another consideration is the highly debatable value of the “Harley Kickstand Frisbee” that was included with new bikes and is sold over the HD Parts Counter.

It supposedly eliminated the kickstand to concrete dead ground effect which could/would drain batteries. I tried and couldn’t determine any measurable difference in voltage drop with and without the Frisbee.

I have a collection of these in my garage parts drawer and honestly I did get in the habit of sliding one under my stand when parking in my garage and hooking up the tender after a ride. 

Over the years and many bikes, my experience with Harley batteries been great I think primarily due to the Battery Tender and not the HD Frisbee.

Regards

Jerry

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2020, 12:37:15 PM »

It supposedly eliminated the kickstand to concrete dead ground effect which could/would drain batteries. I tried and couldn’t determine any measurable difference in voltage drop with and without the Frisbee.

What?  Had never heard that.  Someone was yanking your chain a bit.  The puck is for days on hot blacktop or soft ground when you might sink in.

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2020, 12:47:47 PM »

What?  Had never heard that.  Someone was yanking your chain a bit.  The puck is for days on hot blacktop or soft ground when you might sink in.

Roger that.  I usually accomplish the same thing with a beer can.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2020, 07:04:08 PM »

The things I learn from reading this website...

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2020, 07:26:06 PM »

The things I learn from reading this website...

The logic is that all of the various grounds on the bike are grounded to the frame and when the kickstand is placed on concrete it draws the voltage down. 

I have seen someone try to charge a car battery after placing it directly on the concrete garage floor and find the battery was still dead as a doughnut after 12 or so hours. Then they place wood under the battery tolift it off of the concrete and it charged up in a few hours.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.