Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Dan's Board Track Racer Project, PART NEUF. . . . . . . .  (Read 32204 times)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Dan's Board Track Racer Project, PART QUATRE....
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »

So that type of shifter are you going to use on the arm? I have a friend that going to turn a fake bullet, the shell will be the shifter, the bullet, will have a threaded rod in it and be on the other side of the arm. Not sure how it will look, but trying something different, won't cost much.

Craig

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Dan's Board Track Racer Project, PART QUATRE....
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 10:06:03 AM »

So that type of shifter are you going to use on the arm? I have a friend that going to turn a fake bullet, the shell will be the shifter, the bullet, will have a threaded rod in it and be on the other side of the arm. Not sure how it will look, but trying something different, won't cost much.

Craig

Right now I have the old style rubber hand grips with a slight end lip with just circular rings around the grip area and the old stock rubber toe shifter doesn't look too bad with the grips.  All I know right now is that I'll have the 5/16" fine thread on the end and anything I choose to use will just screw in.  So if I get other grips, which I might do, I'll just get the matching toe shifter piece to match.

Thanks again for the input.  I enjoy comments that make me think about my process and scope on this thing.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Dan's Board Track Racer Project, PART CINQ....
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 10:39:40 PM »

Well folks, here's another installment of the ongoing saga of Dan's boardtrack custom hardtail....

Again, I didn't get as much done as I had thought, but it is moving forward with everyday of work.

Keep in mind that the exhaust including the mufflers will be ceramic coated in satin black.  I'll do the inside and out for the pipes and just the outside on the mufflers.  The mufflers are just a straight through with the perforated core.  About 3/4 the way through there is a perforated plate across the throat, other than that, straight through.  The reverse cone comes off, but the baffles do not come out.

This is the semi welded up pipe assembly with the Dunstall type reverse cone muffler in place.  I don't have the muffler bracket made up yet so for right now it's just a piece of strap metal tack welded to the frame for mocking up the pipe.

Here is a rear 3/4 view showing the muffler inside the rear down tube legs.  This frame was original made to take a larger rear tire and wheel, up to a 250.  So to distract from the width around the rear tire and fender, I decided that running the mufflers inside the frame rails will make it appear more engineered.

This is a front 3/4 shot and shows the angle I have on the forward looped pipe.  I have the top section slightly in compared to the lower return pipe.  this should give me a bit more clearance on the leg.

This really shows the muffler inside the rear frame down tube.  I have about 1/2" clearance on the fender side and about 1/4" on the top and side.  Being how the muffler will be mounted right behind the down tube, it should stay put very well and not bounce around and let the muffler hit the frame.

After making the new brake pedal last weekend, I got to thinking that the old original shifter what was just cast chromed, didn't really go with the curvy brake pedal.  So I made up a new shifter and feel better about it staying in style with the brake pedal.

On the front loop pipe, I'll be making a leg guard out of small diameter rods.  I'll curve them around and will have probably about four of them.  I'll have round ends that all four rods will weld to.  I'll TIG nuts on the pipes and then I can bolt on the leg guard.  I'll have the leg guard chromed with the rest of my chroming.  I think with the satin black ceramic pipes and the chrome leg guard, it should be just enough to accent the pipe a bit.

One last item or question.

When you see all the forward controls that are available, you see that they are all chromed or polished.  With my chrome running boards, I'm leaning towards just carrying on out the paint from my front motor mount perches.  If I don't like the paint continuing on out, I can take all the mounts and pedals off next winter and get them chromed.

Just a reminder, I'm still leaning towards my '08 SERK Annie paint scheme.  So the frame would be the copper with just the tank and fender getting the black treatment.  So when I was talking about the forward controls being painted, they would be the copper color.  Again, I'm not really sold yet on this, but I have a hunch not too bad.

Anyone have any thoughts?  Suggestions are always welcome.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 10:59:45 PM »

Cool looking progress, Dan.  Those pipes remind me of something.....maybe a 441 BSA or one of the earlier 'scramblers'..not sure what exactly.  But cool with the twists and reverse megs.  Are you going to make some sort of heat shield for the part up by your leg?  And you are dead on about the shifter matching the curved brake pedal.  This is more fun than a barrel of monkeys......watching your creativity materialize.   :2vrolijk_21:  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 09:54:53 PM »

Can't wait to see the finished product. Nice job Dan!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 09:05:37 AM »

Mid week addition to the project.

Here is a picture of the bike with the original Ultima air cleaner installed.  Sorry about the blue tape and the white foam board, just there for protection during the build.

Here's a picture of the new addition, a new air cleaner with a bit more flare to it.

Here are a few up close and personal pictures.

I'd like to thank Talon/Craig for turning me on to this air cleaner.  I bought it from Old-Stf Cycle and Choppers out of Northern CA.  Mike there is great to work with and will spend time with you talking through items rather than just take or leave it attitude.

Just for another added note here, I'm still very concerned about the long "looking" area between the muffler and the "S" bend I have tack welded in place.  It just looks tooooo long there and it really distracts me to no end.

I think first off on Saturday morning I'll pop the tack welds loose and move the "S" bend rearward about 4" to kind of try and fill up the void that's just a bit too open for me.  One thing that hurts me just a bit is the 2" stretch in the rear of the frame.  Great for locating a battery or added fender room, but it only adds here to my personal concerns about the openness between the muffler and the bends.

On the other side over the belt drive, I'm going to have enough going on with the belt drive and extra bends that I don't think that will become an issue for me.

If you guys haven't guessed by now, I tend to over think things to a fault.  And I'm soooo out of practice on welding, it's scaring me to death.  What I though would be just a simple TIG weld has turned into a nightmare for me and required lots of additional work.  But I'm a bit too proud to farm out the welding, I'll just put up with the extra work.  It's going to be satin black ceramic anyway, so imperfections will not show up as they would in near chrome ceramic or actual chrome plating.

So I'll post more pictures late next weekend or on Monday.

Enjoy and have a great weekend.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 10:12:11 AM »

Hey Dan, how is the from pipe going to route, on the left side?

P.S.  :2vrolijk_21: On the air cleaner, I really like the style on older looking bikes.

Craig

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 10:30:02 AM »

new A/C fits well to the overall look
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 02:02:50 PM »

Hey Dan, how is the from pipe going to route, on the left side?

P.S.  :2vrolijk_21: On the air cleaner, I really like the style on older looking bikes.

Craig

Craig, thanks for the  :2vrolijk_21: on the air cleaner.

Naitram, thanks for the vote of confidence too.

Craig, as far as the left side goes, I'll be running the front exhaust around the front inside the downtube and above the oil filter.  It will come back down the left side just above the timing inspection plug.  I plan on not just running a straight pipe, but one that has some character with slight curves and bends to go back over the starter area and meet up with the muffler.

The left and right muffler will be on the same plain and the pipe on the left going into the muffler should be parallel with the right side pipe.  At least for a short distance.  This should keep some symmetry from side to side as you'll be able to see straight through to both pipes from either side of the bike.

I really want to keep that, "how does it run, I don't see a battery, wiring or oil tank", kind of look.  So trying to keep the area above the trans open and uncluttered was my original goal.

Now I'm kind of think, just a little mind you, about having my leather guy make me a hanging tool box that would have a strap down flap top on it.  I would put studs on the lower seat spring mounts instead of bolts.  This would allow me to just lift up the seat that's already hinged in the front of the mount.  This might be a good look, not sure though.  My leather guy is going to make me a bib for the tank seam with the same tanning as the seat.  I think that will flow well that way.

Again guys, my fingers just took off a run'nnnn and I could get them stopped quick enough.... Sorry!

Thanks again Craig for the help on spotting the air cleaner.

I should have the right side pipe tweaked and the left side done this weekend.  If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

I'll keep posting and you guys/gals keep enjoying.

;D  ;D  ;D
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 02:24:01 PM »

Hey Dan, no problem, I'm really good at spending other people's money! Yea, like you were saying if you move the bend back a little might make that pipe not look as long, still looks good as is. I was trying to imagine the tool bag. you might make one out of cardboard and set it in just to visualize it. The bike looks kick ass so far.

Craig

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Dan's Board Track Racer Project, PART SIX......
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »

Well folks, it's that time of the week again and I have more to post on the progress of my new project.

As you will remember from last week, I was not too keen on the close proximity of the "S" bend on the right side pipe to the front "U" curve.  The first think I did Saturday morning was move the "S" back 3.5" and now I think it spreads out from the front and fills in the wide open space a bit more over the transmission area.

This is the reworked right side pipe with the 3.5" move rearward of the "S" bend.

Here's my new left side pipe as it meanders down and over the belt drive system.  I kept the front rise high enough to get to the timing plug just underneath.  I'm not too sure about this, but I do think it's better than just running a straight pipe down the side of the bike.  I like to have a little character on my stuff.

Another view of the left side pipe with the muffler at the end.

One last left side view from the rear.

Here's a right side from the rear.

Straight on from rear with the two mufflers sticking right out there.  After looking at this view, I decided that now might be a good time to ditch my rear license plate from a not yet made bracket directly in the center.  With both mufflers right at the top and behind where the plate would be, I don't want the license plate getting all carboned up from the exhaust.  So I think a horizontal plate mounted on the lower left side might work out just right.

I ran out of welding wire just when I going to weld on the two rear pipe hangers.  I'll have a mount on the cross tube and then the ears coming up from the pipes.  I think these will keep everything nice and secure.

In keeping with my flared swoopy look of the brake pedal and shifter, I bent up these 90 degree .5" rear muffler brackets.  I drilled the frame and the bracket comes out the bottom side just a bit and then I'll plug weld them from the under side.  I'll run a small bead around the top as well.  The mufflers have a slide bracket like lots of other aftermarket mufflers.

This is a view of the underside of the muffler bracket.  I have the inside end running further in than just the muffler bracket mount.  I tapped the end of the .5" rod and will be able to use both the ends, left and right side, to go up to the fender for a fender brace.  I thought I'd need a fender bracket at some time, but with the width of the rear end and the mufflers, I didn't know how to pull it off without having these really two big braces going up one from each side.  Now I'll piggy back off the inside of the muffler bracket and I'll have nice thin bracket on each side that will be pretty much hidden out of the way.

One added picture.  This is the start of my right side grill guard for the "U" front bend.  I'll roll round half circle for each end and weld them on.  I'll have three narrow strips on the back to strategically mount the grill to the pipe with previously welded on nuts as stand off spacers etc.  Still lots of work to do.

Now I'm in the process of making the leg guard for the right side pipe.  I have 3/16" rods bent in three "U" shaped curves, each slightly larger than the first.  I'll weld them up with rounded ends and then weld nuts to the pipe to attach them with.  Like I said before, the pipes will be black and the leg grill will be chromed.

My next project will be getting the oil tank boxed in on the inside to house (cover) the battery.  Then I have to mount the wiring and pre wire the bike.  Then I think it will be tear down time and start finishing all the grinding and welding.

Both pipes look a little weird right now because of the belt sanding marks and how the light reflects off the pipes.  Once they are sand blasted and ceramic coated, they will look a lot different.

If anyone sees anything that could be improved or just comments, let em rip.

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:26:08 AM by Dan_Lockwood »
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »

Dan looks great any thoughts on paint, I may have missed this, but getting close to that time!  :2vrolijk_21:

Craig

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2009, 09:45:02 AM »

Dan looks great any thoughts on paint, I may have missed this, but getting close to that time!  :2vrolijk_21:

Craig

Craig, actually I've discussed this, but believe me I know how hard it is to follow one of my threads.  They is usually just a page or two short of a novel to read and keeping up with everything is next to impossible.

I'll preface this by saying that at this point I'm leaning towards my '08 SERK Annie colors.

I plan on the frame being the copper, I call it rootbeer, color.  The handle bars will be chromed so the frontend will all be chrome.  The tank will have the center portion the rootbeer color and then black onyx on the sides with a stripe of sorts of the gold leaf as a separator.  The rear fender will have black on the sides with the rootbeer down the middle in some type of design.  There will be limited gold leaf stripes between the sides of the black and rootbeer.  There will hopefully be a red'ish pin stripe over the edge of the gold leaf on the tanks and the rear fender.  The leather guy will do a bib for the tank seam to match my seat.  I may end up dying the seat black instead of the antique brown on it now, just depends on how it looks on the rootbeer color.  I just have to take the seat to the SERK and see what it looks like, but haven't done it yet.

I know the paint colors look good, but just not sure about them on this type of bike though.  Although they looked good on the Annie Dyna and the Annie Springer, so maybe they'll be cool on this custom as well.

As I said in my last update, the pipes look a bit goofy right now with all the shine in spots etc.  I think I'll just spray them flat black for right now just to get a better idea of their look before I have them ceramic coated.  With black pipes, I'm really sure that the mufflers need to be black as well.  I really don't think they'll look good chrome as they will just stand out like an afterthought.

Sorry Craig, see what you got yourself into by just asking one simple questions?

Thanks again for your interest in my project.  I can hardly wait to hear this thing running.

Later dudes and dudettes.....

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2009, 10:10:20 AM »

Colors would look good, black sound nice for the exhaust, then if you want some small heat shields, nit that you'll need them with ceramic, but got could do a stainless of low lister silver. Not exactly what I would do but here's a pic, to square for me.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2009, 11:56:20 AM »

And some of think we're big shots when we change the cams :nixweiss:

Very cool build to follow.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.