Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: looking for help/suggestions - trailer questions  (Read 550 times)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
looking for help/suggestions - trailer questions
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:28:05 AM »

Now that the "trailer" is home, it is time to start working on it.

The wheels are oxydized and not very good looking.

I started cleaning with various metal cleaners and not going very well.

I thought, what would the cost be to have them chromed? and would the result be good and worth it?
(I have absolutely no experience with any chromers) and does anyone know anyone that could do this?

or do I persevere with more muscle and mechanical means and invest in a good buffing wheel?

Do I have them powder coated?

Another issue with the Bushtec trailers.......the wheel wells are  painted but unprotected from road/tire debris

with dark paint any chips in the paint show up as white, (the base fiberglass color)

should you just use undercoating in the well to protect against chips?   or just leave it alone and pretend you do not see it?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:56:59 AM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: looking for help/suggestions - trailer questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:58:26 AM »

The wheels are aluminum, I have heard of guys taking parts to someone that restores vehicle and even sometimes boats.  I have been told they use a blast media of baking powder to clean aluminum parts, not sure where to tell you to get it done in your area.  You may be able to have the wheels jet coated like a set of headers on a street rod, they would stand out nicely.

As far as the wheel wells, your kinda stuck with a white gel coat finish but body shops do have a clear type spray they use that I believe is called Rock Guard.

Good luck.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: looking for help/suggestions - trailer questions
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:23:24 AM »

Bushtec advised me against chroming the standard wheels - too many sharp angles I think to ensure longevity of the plating.  Bushtec offers a very reasonable option to powder coat the wheels which is what I had done on my previous trailer and it really looked good.  They replaced the wheel bearings and mounted new tires and tubes during the process for no additional labor charge.  All in all a great option imo.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.