Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Condor chock vs Wheeldock  (Read 37803 times)

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
Re: Condor chock vs Wheeldock
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 01:58:07 PM »

I bought the Wheeldock and they have great service; great guarantee; free replacement if you ever change motorcycle models and I also prefer the method that the front wheel is held in place and released compared to the Condor or other such models.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »

the one at harbor freight is a Chinese knock-off of the bike-pro chock. the real one goes for $160 and works real well. it`s what i use in the trailer. don`t trust Chinese welds, and it should be a patent violation.

I've been looking at some of the various systems out there.  On the Bike Pro wheel chock, do you have any issues with the rear part of the rollover piece coming up from behind and catching the bottom of the fender? 

I've physically looked at the Harbor Freight wheel chock and in all honesty, it looks pretty good.  Yes, I know it's made in China, but the steel and the welds look really good.  But let's be honest, if you setup a fixture to bend the rod for the front loop and the two rounded straps for the tire, how much should one of these cost?  Harbor freight probably sells 10 to 1 of any of the Bike Pro chocks and their costs are a lot lower to make it.  Just because it's made in China does not automatically mean it's a POS.

I've not bought one yet, still looking.  But for my purpose to get a bike on my lift and hold it while I strap it down, I'm thinking the Harbor Freight for $39.95 is something I might get.  I've seen them advertised for $27.95 on sale.

I had a Handy Lift up in Michigan that I bought for $300 at an auction and used it for a jig lift while welding up streetrod frames and doing suspension work on frames.  When I moved I sold it to a friend doing the same thing in the streetrod hobby.  When I got here in St. Louis I wished I had it back, but I eventually bought a Harbor Freight hydraulic pedal pump model on sale for $279.95.  I've been using it for my Boardtrack project and it works great.  I did look it over very good at the weld points and the only cast parts are on the jack pump itself.  All the metal is sized well and the penetration of the welds looks great.  I cannot see anything wrong with my lift that has me the least bit worried.

I've had all of my bikes on it and it doesn't even drop to the safety rod after a week of being up with a bike on it.  I guess at the time money was not that plentiful and if I had to spend $800 it wasn't going to happen.  At less than $300 and using it for a couple years now, I'm very happy with my HF lift.

I remember back in the late 50's and early 60's people had the same attitude about Japan and their products.  I don't condone China's labor practices, but from what I've seen on "these" products, the materials and welds have been as good as I would do and the pricing was great.

Way back when motorcycle center lift hydraulic lifts came out, they were almost $400.  Now you can by the Sears different models for $100 to $150 and some of the other brands are in the same price range.  I thought I could do that so I did.  I spent a Saturday afternoon at work cutting and welding up my little center lift and I've used it for 15 years now.  My neighbor in Michigan used it to pull out a John Deere transmission and rear gear assembly and nothing bent nor did any welds pop.

All I'm saying is that with a good eye "some" of these items may very well serve the purpose without fear of failure.  If I made a living off this, I'd invest in more expensive equipment for longevity, but for raising and lowering my bike once a month or so, I'm a very happy camper.

I'm sure there are others on the CVO site that have the HF full lift and are just as happy with it as I am.  Is it pneumatic with all the different position safety heights, no, but it has what I need.

:soapbox:  :soapbox:  :soapbox:

Anyway, does the fender come close as you roll in the bike?

Thanks and sorry to bore you guys with my rambling.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 12:50:57 PM »

I had similar concern about fender clearance, but it is not an issue with the wheeldock.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2010, 03:25:38 PM »

I have 2 bike pros in my trailer, the clearance is adjustable.  They are fine..I just bought 2 wheel docks for the garage. lift and maybe another light trailer...

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2010, 09:01:42 PM »

I've been looking at some of the various systems out there.  On the Bike Pro wheel chock, do you have any issues with the rear part of the rollover piece coming up from behind and catching the bottom of the fender? 

I've physically looked at the Harbor Freight wheel chock and in all honesty, it looks pretty good.  Yes, I know it's made in China, but the steel and the welds look really good.  But let's be honest, if you setup a fixture to bend the rod for the front loop and the two rounded straps for the tire, how much should one of these cost?  Harbor freight probably sells 10 to 1 of any of the Bike Pro chocks and their costs are a lot lower to make it.  Just because it's made in China does not automatically mean it's a POS.

I've not bought one yet, still looking.  But for my purpose to get a bike on my lift and hold it while I strap it down, I'm thinking the Harbor Freight for $39.95 is something I might get.  I've seen them advertised for $27.95 on sale.

I had a Handy Lift up in Michigan that I bought for $300 at an auction and used it for a jig lift while welding up streetrod frames and doing suspension work on frames.  When I moved I sold it to a friend doing the same thing in the streetrod hobby.  When I got here in St. Louis I wished I had it back, but I eventually bought a Harbor Freight hydraulic pedal pump model on sale for $279.95.  I've been using it for my Boardtrack project and it works great.  I did look it over very good at the weld points and the only cast parts are on the jack pump itself.  All the metal is sized well and the penetration of the welds looks great.  I cannot see anything wrong with my lift that has me the least bit worried.

I've had all of my bikes on it and it doesn't even drop to the safety rod after a week of being up with a bike on it.  I guess at the time money was not that plentiful and if I had to spend $800 it wasn't going to happen.  At less than $300 and using it for a couple years now, I'm very happy with my HF lift.

I remember back in the late 50's and early 60's people had the same attitude about Japan and their products.  I don't condone China's labor practices, but from what I've seen on "these" products, the materials and welds have been as good as I would do and the pricing was great.

Way back when motorcycle center lift hydraulic lifts came out, they were almost $400.  Now you can by the Sears different models for $100 to $150 and some of the other brands are in the same price range.  I thought I could do that so I did.  I spent a Saturday afternoon at work cutting and welding up my little center lift and I've used it for 15 years now.  My neighbor in Michigan used it to pull out a John Deere transmission and rear gear assembly and nothing bent nor did any welds pop.

All I'm saying is that with a good eye "some" of these items may very well serve the purpose without fear of failure.  If I made a living off this, I'd invest in more expensive equipment for longevity, but for raising and lowering my bike once a month or so, I'm a very happy camper.

I'm sure there are others on the CVO site that have the HF full lift and are just as happy with it as I am.  Is it pneumatic with all the different position safety heights, no, but it has what I need.

:soapbox:  :soapbox:  :soapbox:

Anyway, does the fender come close as you roll in the bike?

Thanks and sorry to bore you guys with my rambling.
Hi Dan,

I ordered the WheelDock because of the customer service feedback AND the fact that I'm helping fellow American's by buying Made In USA.

Purchased a J&S Jack for the same reason. A little more $$$ but worth it in my opinion.

Of course I won't shop Walmart either but that's just me.  ;)  :huepfenlol2:

Howie

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »

Based on this thread I just ordered a pair of Wheeldocks today. Tried on-line and had a problem, called and spoke with Liz and Rod, problem solved merchandise on the way at reduced shipping. My kind of people!

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 07:57:49 PM »

Has anyone used the Braxley Wheel chalk, I just order one for the garage and / or the trailer...It's the Braxley LA Model.
Letz Ride

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »

Well I compared both the Condor & Wheeldock side by side.  I rolled my bike in and out of each one several times and to me it was an easy choice.  I went with the Wheeldock.   I really felt it was more secure and definitely easier to get my bike out of.  It was also cheaper and included the trailer docking kit.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 09:00:02 PM »

I won a Condor as a prize on a poker run. I didn't know I had won such a pricey item until later. Harley is selling the Condor now with a HD sticker on it, don't know there price. It does work fine. 
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 08:56:24 AM »

Has anyone used the Braxley Wheel chalk, I just order one for the garage and / or the trailer...It's the Braxley LA Model.

This is a great model. I use them all the time for garage work and towing. www.baxleycompanies.com
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »

I have had 2 Condors in my trailer for 11 yrs, no problems. They were bout the only heavy duty stands when I bought. Took me a year to discover the 2 pull method to get bike off, been easy for long time. Have heard raves bout wheeldocks.......so they must be great.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 01:40:03 PM »

I have had 2 Condors in my trailer for 11 yrs, no problems. They were bout the only heavy duty stands when I bought. Took me a year to discover the 2 pull method to get bike off, been easy for long time. Have heard raves bout wheeldocks.......so they must be great.

What is the 2 pull method... I do have a tough time sometimes getting the bikes off my Condor wheeldocks

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »

What is the 2 pull method... I do have a tough time sometimes getting the bikes off my Condor wheeldocks

You give it one good yank backwards, and when backwards momentum stops, hit the front brake. Then when you start your second yank, release the brake, and walla, it rolls off nice and easy.  My version at least....
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 08:29:57 PM »

I'd not recommend doing this on a Condor. Use the futhest back hole to get the tire as deep as possible for security's sake.

The trick to easily getting the bike out is to use the front brake. It's really a two tug process.  Tug it once good, and pull the front brake at the height of the backward movement.  Stop.  Then as you are getting ready to tug it the second time, release the front brake, and it rolls right off.  This way you start the second pull with most of the rearward work saved from the first pull.  Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. My stupid people trick of the day, fwiw.
:cherry:

I tried that "trick" pretty much exactly as you have discribed.........Your "tugging" ability exceeds mine........... :nervous:

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 11:04:20 PM »

You give it one good yank backwards, and when backwards momentum stops, hit the front brake. Then when you start your second yank, release the brake, and walla, it rolls off nice and easy.  My version at least....

Just tried it. it works on my Condor 

Thanks...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.