Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone Using GoPro Hero 8 Yet?  (Read 641 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Anyone Using GoPro Hero 8 Yet?
« on: July 30, 2020, 09:08:43 PM »

I just got my new Hero 8 yesterday and have been going over a few things on it compared to my OLD Hero 3+ Black.  Oh, I have a Hero, one of the original ones.

Well back in '15 I used the Hero 3+ Black and mounted it to my helmet.  I go okay results, but not all that great.  I also did some testing originally with a suction cup mount on the front of my fairing, CVO SERG.  With the Hero 3 it shook like a bitch at idle and when starting to move it would kind of porpoised up and down and almost makes one sick watching the videos.  I mounted it again off the engine crash guard and it was better, but I had the front tire/wheel in the shot all the time.

I just did a quick test of the Hero 8 with the very same suction cup on the front fairing of my SERG and the idling out of the driveway was perfectly smooth and when I transitioned from idling to riding, the same, very smooth.  The vibration of the bike was negligent in any of the test videos.  I tried it on my Honda Helix scooter front body below the headlight and it too, was very smooth for a video.  That plastic is very thin, but the 250cc motor is quite a bit smoother than the Harley... :)

Just wondering what settings anyone is using since there's tons of setup adjustments to play with.

Also on the Hero 8, there's Cinema and some other presets that give different rates etc for all the recording functions.  Has anyone used any of the other default presets?

Getting ready to head out to Sturgis on Sunday and want to do a great job on my videos this year as I believe it will be our last Sturgis trip.  Just one of those been there done that things that you eventually just don't get excided about anymore.  And being retired now, we can go out there non-rally and ride if wanted.

Thanks in advance for any tips hacks etc. 
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Glenncarp

Re: Anyone Using GoPro Hero 8 Yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 12:26:25 PM »

I just got my new Hero 8 yesterday and have been going over a few things on it compared to my OLD Hero 3+ Black.  Oh, I have a Hero, one of the original ones.

Well back in '15 I used the Hero 3+ Black and mounted it to my helmet.  I go okay results, but not all that great.  I also did some testing originally with a suction cup mount on the front of my fairing, CVO SERG.  With the Hero 3 it shook like a bitch at idle and when starting to move it would kind of porpoised up and down and almost makes one sick watching the videos.  I mounted it again off the engine crash guard and it was better, but I had the front tire/wheel in the shot all the time.

I just did a quick test of the Hero 8 with the very same suction cup on the front fairing of my SERG and the idling out of the driveway was perfectly smooth and when I transitioned from idling to riding, the same, very smooth.  The vibration of the bike was negligent in any of the test videos.  I tried it on my Honda Helix scooter front body below the headlight and it too, was very smooth for a video.  That plastic is very thin, but the 250cc motor is quite a bit smoother than the Harley... :)

Just wondering what settings anyone is using since there's tons of setup adjustments to play with.

Also on the Hero 8, there's Cinema and some other presets that give different rates etc for all the recording functions.  Has anyone used any of the other default presets?

Getting ready to head out to Sturgis on Sunday and want to do a great job on my videos this year as I believe it will be our last Sturgis trip.  Just one of those been there done that things that you eventually just don't get excided about anymore.  And being retired now, we can go out there non-rally and ride if wanted.

Thanks in advance for any tips hacks etc.

https://www.rickrak.com/go-pro-mounts/

I had an '11 SERGU and used their older mount in that, moved it to my '19 RG special. I have a Hero 5 and never noted any shaking, I mounted it on left side (from riders view) of windshield and it gives a perception that you are going to collide with cars coming the other way. The newer Rickrack mounts look much improved but I am going to stick with my setup, I have made 100's of GoPro videos and watched them and then they sit in my file folder, even the buddies I rode with do not appear to be much interested in viewing the videos so I use mine mostly when I backpack.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 06:42:17 PM »

I looked at the Rickrak mount for the SERG @ Daytona. Nice mount, I was just a little concerned about longevity of the mounting insert that is located behind the fairing that normally just holds the windshield.
If anyone has used on these for awhile with good, or bad, results could you please let me know.
Not to highjack the thread, just seems a good place to ask.

Glenncarp

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 08:15:31 PM »

I looked at the Rickrak mount for the SERG @ Daytona. Nice mount, I was just a little concerned about longevity of the mounting insert that is located behind the fairing that normally just holds the windshield.
If anyone has used on these for awhile with good, or bad, results could you please let me know.

Same one I have had since 2012, zero issues, holds windshield tight, no camera wobble. Highly recommend

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 07:56:29 AM »

I had about 60K miles on the original Rickrac for the road glide with no issues.  I have about 3000 miles on the new upgraded Rickrac 360 mount for my road glide.  I like it a bit better than the original.  Never had an issue with how it mounts to the bike.  Key is getting it tight enough the camera does not move at 80 mph.  Once adjusted you never need to mess with anything but putting the camera on and off. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 09:12:04 AM »

Thanks for info.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 24 queries.