Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: California Motorcycle Noise Bill  (Read 5849 times)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
Re: California Motorcycle Noise Bill
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:36:27 AM »

Heard this on the radio this morning on the way into work  >:(

Marty

http://dist23.casen.govoffice.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=%7B75D3D01D-7EFC-4E57-98A9-55DB97D1E2FB%7D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:42:52 AM by 110 Mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »

Every time I see this type of legislation come back up I'm reminded of ....

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/251889   :nixweiss:

bknerr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:55:38 AM »

guess i missed that one, some funny chit right there!
1963 flh
1974 fxe

2003 flhrc
2008 flhtcuse3

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:55:59 AM »

That means the 2009 SERG is a keeper! I won't have to worry about the law trying to keep me safe.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »

Do extremely loud motorcycles bother you? A solution may now be in the fix. The state senate today approved a bill by Senator Fran Pavley (D - Santa Monica) that would give law enforcement a tool to enforce such bikes.

“The noise caused by illegally modified motorcycle exhaust systems is a major quality of life issue across the state,” Pavley said in a statement today. “Basic common sense and decency dictates that when a motorcycle drives by and sets off every car alarm on the street, that is too loud. Additionally, many of the modifications which are aimed at making a bike louder -- for example removing the catalytic converter -- also make the bike exponentially more polluting. This has direct, measurable and negative impacts on public health.”

Her legislation, SB 435, would require motorcycles beginning 2013 to maintain emissions equipment, as required by federal law, and keep the certifying EPA stamp visible.

One reason why motorcycle tampering is rarely enforced is that they are not subject to smog checks. “In the absence of smog check, or other emissions or noise testing mechanisms for motorcycles in California, it is necessary to establish an enforcement mechanism that does not allow motorcycles to skirt current law,” explained Pavley.

Well, at least her original version of the bill didn't pass.  It would have been retroactive to cover all motorcycles manufactured after 2000! :nervous:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:07:55 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »

My exhaust is loud because it keeps falling off due to the lousy roads that have fallen apart in California. Fran should use her position to get the friggin roads fixed. The California legislature is creating solutions to made up problems so they don't have to deal with real problems. Can't create a state budget because they are spending too much time outlawing plastic grocery bags. We need a BILL that outlaws the loud noises coming out of their legislative asses. Will probably tax all motorcycles to create an exhaust inspection. Let's hope Arnold rejects it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:46:49 PM by D31960 »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

rbaker

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »

They are working on removing the smog check for ALL motorcycles here in Arizona.
There are two counties that require it now, Maricopa (Phoenix) and Pima (Tucson).

Good Luck in California.

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html

:pineapple:

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 03:07:57 PM »

Every time I see this type of legislation come back up I'm reminded of ....

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/251889   :nixweiss:

Well now I am confused I really thouht I was a lesbian.
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 03:23:37 PM »

For those of you that live in Calif. that are interested in doing your part.....take two minutes to place the call that I just placed.  It really is easier than it sounds and took less time to place the call and my request for him to veto it, then it did to read the article.

Here is an email that I just got from the AMA:

Action needed on motorcycle exhaust bill (SB 435)
UPDATE: California Senate Bill 435 (motorcycle exhaust) is on the Governor's desk Take Action!

Contact the Governor today!

On August 30, 2010, the California Senate passed SB 435 by a vote of 21-16 and is on Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s desk. Despite state Senator Fran Pavley’s (D-CA-23) claims, the bill will do little to address excessive sound or reduce emissions, and is still unfairly targeting motorcycle owners.

In a letter, dated August, 5, 2010, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) sent a letter to Governor Schwarzenegger urging him to veto SB 435. To view the governor’s reply, click here. In response to the Senate’s passage of SB 435, the AMA sent a follow-up letter, dated August 31, 2010, to the governor, continuing to urge a veto.

As written, SB 435 is not practical in a real world traffic stop situation due to the inconsistent location of the federal label, making it difficult for law enforcement to locate. These labels can be positioned on different locations depending on the type of exhaust and/or style of the motorcycle. This will result in improper and unwarranted citations.

Furthermore, after-market exhaust systems are not always louder than stock systems and can be installed for a variety of legitimate reasons. Stock exhaust can wear out over time, be damaged, unavailable or prohibitively expensive. If signed into law, motorcyclists, and motorcyclists alone, will be forced to purchase Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts, while automobile drivers will continue to be allowed to install exhaust components from non-OEM sources.

This bill is discriminatory and punitive. It will serve only to drive up the cost of ownership for every rider while doing little or nothing to actually address the issue of excessive motorcycle sound. Please contact the Governor's office today and request a veto of this unfair legislation.

The fastest way to reach the Governor is to call, (916) 445-2841. You can also send a pre-written message immediately by following the “Take Action” option and entering your information. The AMA encourages riders to personalize their message.

To view an AMA press release on SB 435, click here.

For those who want to do more, please utilize AMA tips and tools available at on our website at AmericanMotorcyclist.com > Rights > Get Involved, or for direct access, click here. If you are on Facebook, become a fan of the AMA at Facebook.com/AmericanMotorcyclist.

Please write or call the governor today and urge him to veto SB 435. Thank you for your active participation and efforts to encourage your friends and family to do the same.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:25:11 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 04:29:46 PM »

SB435 makes it a crime to operate a motorcycle manufactured after January 1, 2013 that fails to meet federal mandated noise-emission control standards. Motorcyclists whose vehicles lack the proper EPA labels would be subjected to a fine.  :soapbox:   Not addressed by SB-435 is what happens to visitors from other states who are unlucky enough to be cited while operating a motorcycle in California but are compliant in their home state.

Let the Gubbernator veto this one please!!!  :drink:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
New CA Noise Law
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »

effective 1-1-13
http://www.twowheelmania.com/2013/01/08/motorcycle-anti-tampering-act-effect/
looks like a fixit ticket. all 2013 need epa compiant muff sticker. Its a little confusing as i read more
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:22:30 AM by VANAMAL »

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: New CA Noise Law
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »

Some motorcycle groups suggest bike owners carry receipts or other documents proving when the machine was produced to avoid potential ticketing

wouldn't that be easy enough with the vin number stamped on at least 2 places on the bike?

unfortunately, what ca does, the rest of the country soon follows....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »

It's only motorcycles produced after 1/1/2013.

Can you say Fullsac inserts, numbers still there. Db law is very vague and gives no standard for how the test is to be done. And it is a secondary violation, can't be pulled over to be checked.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 12:01:56 PM »

Denver Colorado is a "home rule" city, and they passed an even tougher law than California did. That is the main reason my bike has the stock cans with Fullsac inserts. My numbers are still factory but the bike runs and sounds like I want it to -- not what some gov official thinks it should. And also since Denver makes goofy laws such as this, I also make my own rules. Since I live outside of Denver, my self made law is to drive THRU Denver, and never spend any money in their city.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.