Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Harley's New LED Headlight--A Mod Not to Do--Dual Beam Illumination  (Read 17150 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Had one of these lights in hand the last few days.  Was surprised (only in comparison to the dual bulb halogens we're all used to) that both projectors didn't light up in high beam mode.

Thought about using a cheapie little rectifying diode and making a circuit to get both projectors on in high beam.  But before messing with it sent an email to the OE asking if the light was programmed to work that way even if power was sent to both high beam and low beam.

No need waste time making the little circuit change should anyone ever feel so inclined.  Mftr's tech support said the light control module inside the assembly will default to high beam if power is fed up both the high beam and low beam sides at the same time.  So there's a mod you don't need to waste your time with.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Harley's New LED Headlight--A Mod Not to Do--Dual Beam Illumination
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:31:21 PM »

Other than that, what's your opinion of the HD LED headlight?

Good?

Lousy?

The Most Wonderful Light ever?

Pie?

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:34:57 PM »

Other than that, what's your opinion of the HD LED headlight?

Good?

Lousy?

The Most Wonderful Light ever?

Pie?

Wasn't on my bike.   Was part of several chores doing to Travis's new green bike.  From an appearance perspective I really like the black version.  Am assuming I'd like the other one too but haven't seen on in person.  So can't say.

Travis says it was really good at night for the one little hop he'd had it on when we spoke.  But, again, I didn't ride it.  103 wrote that his was better than his HID (the Harley HID) in a direct before and after comparison.  Tommy said good things about his also.  So the concensus so far seems to be that it definitely does not suck.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:42:38 PM »

Thanks.

Saw them on a Moco display in Daytona at bike week.  Looked very good but not in a "real" environment. 

Appearance beats the Kury version hands down, especially the headlight.  Good to know it performs well. Have seen a couple of these on other bikes coming toward me - light looks clean & bright.

The price sucks, my opinion.  With passing lamps, list knocks a grand in the head, almost.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »

The LED's are so much better than the stock lights it's not funny. For a bike that costs almost $40k they should come standard. They are pricey, you just have to decide if it's worth it to you.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:18:09 PM »

Don

The LED's are very impressive.
I did a LED demo session on the Riders Edge field about a month ago.
Two 2011 Street Glides, one with the factory light, the other with the LED.
No comparison with both on low beam. The LED equipped bike had more light on low than the standard light on high beam.
What impressed me was the light spread from the LED on low beam.
Like Mike said, the price sucks and until it comes down I'll stay home at night.

;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 01:26:22 AM »

No comparison with both on low beam. The LED equipped bike had more light on low than the standard light on high beam.
What impressed me was the light spread from the LED on low beam.
Like Mike said, the price sucks and until it comes down I'll stay home at night.

;)

SBB

That width of projection was something I immediately noticed on Travis's bike.  The spread from those side projectors really was impressive.  Could live without spotlights with that spread.

The price is high.  The 20% off shops are around $420 if I remember right.  When the HIDs first came out with the digital ballasts the kits were close to that.  The red bike at the time, however, was just dangerous to ride at night.  So I sprung for what was the only option at the time that was sure to make it good.  But I do ride at night some (enjoy it).  So the safety from the improved light wasn't just a conceit.

As much as the cost of this LED light is a consideration I've been significantly surprised by something relative to that cost.  A company called JW Speaker is the OE for the light.  They sell the same light (or at least a very close approximation of it) themselves.  That light and its siblings in their product line are marketed to over the road truckers, military applications and other places where good and/or heavy duty equipment is a necessity.  Harley sells it cheaper.  Even at Harley MSRP the light is significantly cheaper than dealers for Speaker offer the light to the other markets.

Speaker had products that were comparable to the the dual bulb Halogen reflector on the SEUCs and in the P&A book and a few other pieces we'd find familiar.  None of those seem to have the price variation that this one does.  Can't help but wonder which happened: Did Harley swing a significant deal in the purchase contract for these lights or did Harley buy some "lesser" version of the light than the Mftr. is offering to other markets?

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:15:59 AM »

For those of you interested in the HD LED 7" lamp and 4" passing lights.  There was a thread about 2 weeks ago with a guy that installed the light on his Krypto SESG.  He installed the black headlamp, he has pictures with the lights on, and off.  I liked it so much that I was went out and bought the headlamp and passing lights in black for my FLHTCUSE5 BLK.  I called several dealers and had a couple do searches for me.  I finally found Las Vegas HD that had 5 lamps, and 2 sets of passing lamps.  They gave me a 10% discount and the entire set cost $834 shipped.  I haven't installed them yet because my bike has been at the shop for a hydrallic clutch leak.  As soon as i get it back i plan to install the lights and i will post pictures and start a new thread.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 09:36:12 AM »

A member on this forum had his new Limited converted completly (driving lights and all) over to LED lights.  Definately a huge improvement over stock!  However, on low beam, not quite equal to the HID next to it.....same goes for high beam.

Also, on our way back from Los Angeles last weekend, we noticed that his lights all seemed to have a sort of yellowish/greenish glow to them.  Then later in the day (couple hundred miles further) the one driving light seemed to be the bright white again. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »

I had HID's on the road king and now the HD LED headlamp on Kermit.  I've only been out at night a couple of times on the new bike but my first impression is the HID's throw more light out in front of the bike, the LED's put out more side to side light.  Not sure what a set of HID's would cost now, but when I bought mine, it was basically the same amount I paid for the HD LED headlamp.  However, I believe the LED should outlast the HID's.  I had a ballast go out on my HID's and luckly Don had a replacement on hand or else I'd been down waiting on a new one, plus the expense of getting a replacement part.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 10:12:07 AM »

I had HID's on the road king and now the HD LED headlamp on Kermit.  I've only been out at night a couple of times on the new bike but my first impression is the HID's throw more light out in front of the bike, the LED's put out more side to side light.  Not sure what a set of HID's would cost now, but when I bought mine, it was basically the same amount I paid for the HD LED headlamp.  However, I believe the LED should outlast the HID's.  I had a ballast go out on my HID's and luckly Don had a replacement on hand or else I'd been down waiting on a new one, plus the expense of getting a replacement part.

Inside a fairing where there's plenty of room either install isn't any real trouble.  Inside a nacelle, like on a Road King or some of the Softails, the LED with it's simple one plug hookup would be nice though.  Shoe horning a couple of ballasts and igniters inside a nacelle makes it crowded.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 12:57:01 PM »

Has anyone installed the HID lights from Hendric?
Bill

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 01:27:52 PM »

For those of you interested in the HD LED 7" lamp and 4" passing lights.  There was a thread about 2 weeks ago with a guy that installed the light on his Krypto SESG.  He installed the black headlamp, he has pictures with the lights on, and off.  I liked it so much that I was went out and bought the headlamp and passing lights in black for my FLHTCUSE5 BLK.  I called several dealers and had a couple do searches for me.  I finally found Las Vegas HD that had 5 lamps, and 2 sets of passing lamps.  They gave me a 10% discount and the entire set cost $834 shipped.  I haven't installed them yet because my bike has been at the shop for a hydrallic clutch leak.  As soon as i get it back i plan to install the lights and i will post pictures and start a new thread.
As an addendum you also have to splice the garage door opener back in to the old style plug after you take out the stock halogen rig( on the Ultra anyway)
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 02:41:23 PM »

As an addendum you also have to splice the garage door opener back in to the old style plug after you take out the stock halogen rig( on the Ultra anyway)

I was afraid of that?  I haven't had the chance to install my LED's yet.  I know that i had to order a splitter for my bike because I have the dual halogen lamp with separate plugs.  I had to order a 2 into 1 plug harness for the LED set up.  I was hoping that i would not lose the garage door opener as a result?  After all, the original plug and harness remains, this harness connects to the separate high & low beem on the current dual halogen set up and brings it down to a single.  Good information, though, hopefully you are wrong?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 03:11:05 PM »

I was afraid of that?  I haven't had the chance to install my LED's yet.  I know that i had to order a splitter for my bike because I have the dual halogen lamp with separate plugs.  I had to order a 2 into 1 plug harness for the LED set up.  I was hoping that i would not lose the garage door opener as a result?  After all, the original plug and harness remains, this harness connects to the separate high & low beem on the current dual halogen set up and brings it down to a single.  Good information, though, hopefully you are wrong?

Harlet offers a Y plug adapter you could use to avoid splicing.  Most good auto parts stores have H4 type headlight plugs that could be used to make something also.  Even if not using either of those options simple T tsps could be used against the stock wires to avoid actually cutting and splicing if that's a worry. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 25 queries.