Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Washed bike will not start  (Read 5983 times)

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Washed bike will not start
« on: September 28, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »

Changed all the fluids today on the 09 SERG  today and detailed the bike made a little mess on the underside  only washed up to the motor with lots of water did pull right side cover and cleaned behind it now bike will not start it turns over like it going to start but will not all lights gauges stereo work also here the fuel pump  come on  pulled breather off dry as can be changed plugs  but no start  held the intake valve butterfly open and it looks real wet  cannot tell if its water or raw fuel   HELP   

DOWNTOWN DON

• Full CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: 2012 flhxse3 Black diamond, Dark slate. (WRECKED)
    • CVO2: 2015 flhxse4 Starfire Black/Gold Dust Flames.
Re: Washed bike will not start
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 08:24:34 PM »

Might sound stupid, but it happened to a buddy of mine on his new heritage. While washing it, his hand (mitt) hit the quick cuppler on the fuel line off of the tank. Stopped the fuel flow, but didn't pull right off, so took him a while to figure out.
CVO1:  Fullsac "DX" pipe/2" power cores & tts mastertune, mustang super solo vintage/13" rear pillion, 7" lrs ultra elite dark tint windshield, truk lite ph7 headlight & custom dynamics signals,  color matched king tour pak.
CVO2:  Fullsac "DX" pipe/2 1/4" power cores, screens, & tts mastertune, 7" lrs ultra elite/dark tint/screemin eagle scripture, fairing vents, fork baffle, matching pass boards & backrest, and a LOT more to come.

Thx and come again: "DOWNTOWN DON"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 08:42:41 PM »

1.  Check Run/Stop switch.

2.  Check for spark.  Sounds like you got water in the electrical system.

3.  If you have a Power Commander, disconnect the ECM to PC and PC to bike harness connectors and blow any water out.  Common problem with PC's.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 09:06:10 PM »

1.  Check Run/Stop switch.

2.  Check for spark.  Sounds like you got water in the electrical system.

3.  If you have a Power Commander, disconnect the ECM to PC and PC to bike harness connectors and blow any water out.  Common problem with PC's.

Jerry

And even if you don't have a Power Commander, disconnect the ECM and blow any water out of the connection!   ::)  Also a common problem.  Pulling the side cover and cleaning behind it with water isn't such a good idea....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

bluegoose

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra - Riptide Blue
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 10:47:12 PM »

As you clean and dry each connection put some dielectric grease on them before you put them back together.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 07:51:35 PM »

FWIW check to make sure that you didn't "unplug" the neutral safety switch while cleaning.....been there, done that  :oops:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:15:37 PM »

Replaced starter relay today checked for spark no spark  just pulled side cover off and blew out ecm dry as can be pulled connection to security module wires and lot of H2O in wire sheath blew out  have big fan on all nite to help dry up  its  not realy that wet i dry the bike with bike dryer                      Where is the netural sensor

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 09:22:31 PM »

Replaced starter relay today checked for spark no spark  just pulled side cover off and blew out ecm dry as can be pulled connection to security module wires and lot of H2O in wire sheath blew out  have big fan on all nite to help dry up  its  not realy that wet i dry the bike with bike dryer                      Where is the netural sensor

Should be located near the transmission top cover. it has two male "poles" on it that accept a female two wire plug.

"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »

thanks headed back to garage

mark

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 01:35:54 PM »

I've knocked this loose when washing and bike wouldn't start.  Check to see if this is the problem:

Above the starter, towards the back of the engine compartment, is a heavy cable that's bolted to the starter.  The cable is covered in a black flexible tubing.  Behind this cable is a male/female plug that is mostly blocked from view by the aforementioned cable.  Check to see if you've knocked this plug loose.  It's real tight in this area and you may have to unbolt the heavy cable to get your hands in there.  Best view is from the left side of the bike...may even need a flashlight.

Anyway, I've knocked this loose before and bike will turn over, lights will work, etc, but will not start.  The plug should "click" together and may look like it is connected, when really it isn't.

Rupert

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 02:19:02 PM »

you wont have any spark without compression.

as mentioned pull all the relays, dry them add dielictric greace ( wifes vasoline is the same thing) and put back.

You might want to try and jump the bike with cables or a booster, I have had a battery that would roll the motor over just fine but not start. there just wasnt enough power left fr the ecm....even thought the draw down test was ok.....In my case and more than afew other cases a new battery solved the problem.  My bike started intermittenly, and drove me nuts trying to figure it out.

GL hope its something simple
08 SERK, with bigger bump sticks, rhinehart true duels, and a T-max. diamond cut jugs and stuff.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 04:52:19 PM »

Gas in the Tank? :nixweiss:

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 06:33:15 PM »

This used to happen to my bike back in 09, there's a box on the right side just in front of the rear tire (I forget what it's called). Mine had water in it and the bike wouldn't start......bugged the chit out of me, needless to say it was replaced and never had the problem since. The dealer started out by putting silicone in every wire bundle and telling me "don't get the bike wet" now that was some funny chit!
Anyway that's what happened to mine.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 06:57:22 PM »

RUPERT u are the MAN  that plug was loose as a goose must have hit it with that stupid blue brush that get all the cracks and crevice  that brush is in the garbage can THANKS for all the help guys this site just saved me a trip to Tilly and some bucks plus I will not be riding to Myrtle Beach on the fatboy with a back pac on my back  looking stupid I owe u guys  THANKS  :jalapeno: :jalapeno: :jalapeno: :jalapeno: :) :) :)

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 07:36:58 PM »

Glad you got it sorted  :2vrolijk_21:

mark

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 09:21:13 PM »

RUPERT u are the MAN  that plug was loose as a goose must have hit it with that stupid blue brush that get all the cracks and crevice  that brush is in the garbage can THANKS for all the help guys this site just saved me a trip to Tilly and some bucks plus I will not be riding to Myrtle Beach on the fatboy with a back pac on my back  looking stupid I owe u guys  THANKS  :jalapeno: :jalapeno: :jalapeno: :jalapeno: :) :) :)

Hey, that's a $20 brush! 

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »

Pack the leathers, look's like MB is going to be chilly this year. I'm hoping Daytona is good. Love the fall down there............. Glad you found the problem, aint this site GREAT?  :apple: :bananarock: :apple:

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »

did the same thing! just happen to remember bumping it when the bike did not start!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.