CVO Technical > Drive Train

A question about hydraulic clutches.

(1/3) > >>

Ironhorse:
My '06 CVO Ultra came with a hydraulic clutch. It engages almost at the end point of release. I've been told that there is no adjustment and that's how they are.

Yesterday I rode my cousins 2015 Ultra Limited which also has a hydraulic clutch. His releases at the midway point.

Why is that?
Can mine be made to operate like his?

FlaHeatWave:
The Hydraulic Clutches in the '05 SEEG (bone stock, factory recommended amount of Formula+) and the '09 SERG (Alto Carbonite Plate Kit, AIM VP-95, SE Heavy Duty Spring, 1qt of Formula+ or Redline Primary Fluid) both have linear engagement centered in the lever travel, a motorcop would love it friction zone... Lever effort is the same at lower RPMs, effort increases on the '09 as RPMs climb and the AIM spools up...
The '05 has 62,xxx mi, the '09 59,xxx so far...

When upgrading the Charging System on the '05 (60k), discovered the Clutch Hub Splines degrading,,, no discernible symptoms,,, guess we caught it in time  :confused5: replaced the Clutch Assembly...

Both Bikes have had the Clutch Hydraulic Fluid flushed & filled (at Dealer) as PM at least once...

'Had the opportunity to ride "Unbalanced" 131" '04 SEEG  ;D (CVO Hyd Clutch, SE Billet Clutch Assembly), engagement was smooth & linear, great friction zone, at the end of lever travel, engaging "all the way out" took a little getting used to, as over the years I've always adjusted my (cable) Clutches to engage in the middle of lever travel. After I got used to it, no big deal, thinking about it,,, engagement at the last bit of travel can be advantageous (as long as no Slip is incurred), there is more lever travel applied to dis-engagement, less drag / clunking...
With Hydraulic Clutch Actuation, it is not necessary to have lever "freeplay" as with Cable Clutches,,, so as long as it's not slipping, engagement all the way out is fine with me.  :2vrolijk_21:

'Thinking that stack heights / bearing depths come into play more than anything else...

fwiw, I recommend periodic Hydraulic Fluid replacement (25k-30k has worked for me) although it hasn't changed engagement, it makes me feel better  :P 

Ironhorse, Is your '06 Clutch stock?? How many miles?? Have you owned since new?? Any motorcop stuff?? 

fastfreddy:
the engagement on my 13 & 16 are bout same point half to 3/4 area of lever travel, its not adjustable and i just accept it. i dont even think about it.... except the one time the master went south and it started to to engage the clutch at a red light all by itself. that was on the 13 & HD took care of that...no issue since. also the 13 has a bandit clutch in it, and lever engagement is the same as it was with the stock clutch

Para Bellum:
I've been wondering if a different length of actuator rod would help.  Not sure how much change would be needed to get it where the lever is at mid-travel, and still get complete disengagement.   :nixweiss:

CVODON:
I always adjusted my cable clutches to release at the end of the travel. Quicker shifts there when I was younger, but when I got the 05 SEEG and it released at the end from the factory I was pleased, also my 09 and the current 15 all are that way and in my opinion that is how it should be. Not sure why so much effort is extended (or so it sounds from reading about this over the years on this site) or why anyone wants it anywhere but the end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version