CVO Technical > Drive Train

2020 CVO Limited Traction Control

(1/3) > >>

spence:
So the new CVO's come with traction control, wasn't sure exactly what it was supposed to do but I knew when in the rain you could turn it on.  I bought mine in Oct of last year, a little over 8200 miles so far and this past weekend I finally remembered I had it and decided to turn it on as we were coming down from the mountains in the rain.  The result?  I will never turn it on again, going around bends it felt like I was riding over wet tar snakes, thought at first it was just that bend so left it on for a few more curves and each time I could feel the back-end get very squirrly, even the Mrs could feel it and I had to really slow down on curves.  I turned it off once I realize it had to be the traction control since I have ridden that road numerous times with no issues, I knew my tires were good and the pressure was good.  The rest of the ride down the mountain was just as it always used to be for me, much more stable and enjoyable.  For me the traction control is an epic fail.  Anyone else try it?

DOCGSS:
Are you speaking of the Rain mode? Traction control is always on unless you disable it.

spence:
Yes the rain mode

DOCGSS:
I have not had that problem.

grc:
Could be Harley assumed people would slow down in the rain coming down a mountain?  ;D

Traction control on a two wheeled conveyance will never be as good as it is on a four wheeled vehicle, not even close, so I do wonder why they bothered.  Of course there are other bikes that have it, and I'm going to assume based on the various levels of engineering talent that anything from BMW and Honda would be head and shoulders above Harley.  If this effort is like all the other efforts at Harley to adopt "new only to them" technology, it will take years for them to get it right.  I understand limiting torque in slippery conditions with throttle control and light applications of the rear brake, but I'm not sure how they are trying to control side slippage induced strictly by cornering too fast for conditions. I do know chopping throttle and hitting the rear brake isn't the answer, from way back in the day when I learned that lesson the hard way.

Jerry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version