CVO Technical > Drive Train

1999 FXR2 & FXR3, 2000 FXR4 FINAL GEARING 2.925 MY MODIFICATION:

(1/15) > >>

FXR2evo99:
Hello Everyone.....

Well after some real deliberations....and after doing an engine modification in FEB of 2011.  I rode my bike last summer and still was a bit underwhelmed by my results....

Just so you know my dyno numbers are 84 HP and 94 Torque.  I modified heads, i.e.: head work, put in a EVL 3000 (V-Thunder Cam), am running a .040 Head Gasket and basically running 9.02:1 CORRECTED COMPRESSION.  I can spend more time talking about the build but the scope of this THREAD is about coordinating gearing and engine modifications while creating the type of riding we desire.

So I have spent last fall really studying the effects of gearing.....so here is what I am in the process of doing:

First of all our OEM set up for all CVO FXR's is the following:

Primary Side:  25T Compensating Sprocket  X  36T Clutch Shell Basket
Secondary Side:  32T Transmission Pulley/Sprocket X 65T Rear Wheel Sprocket  +  133T OEM Kevlar Belt

HERE ARE THE PARTS:

3.36 FINAL GEARING INSTALL & SHIFTER SHAFT SEAL REPAIR:

Part #             ITEM                                                  QTY    EACH    PRICE     20% OFF
SKF 4260       Double Lip Seal  Shifter Shaft Seal      
472810          Federal Mogul Double Lip Seal                   1        6.65                 6.65
12066A          Jack Shaft Lip Seal                                  1                               5.88
12052A          Inner Primary Main Shaft Seal                   1                               3.72
11147            Housing Cover O-Ring (8”)                        1                               1.56
34901-94C     Outer Primary Cover Gasket                       1                             24.32
94137-09       Mainshaft Sprocket SOCKET 1 7/8”              1                149.95   119.96
40001-85       OEM HD 136T Secondary Belt 1 1/2" WIDE    1                200.00    165.60
40217-79A     70T Rear Wheel Sprocket                           1                210.00    119.74
290304          Andrews 5 Speed 30T Trans Pulley              1                135.00      89.00  
H30-06          Rev Tech Primary Fluid                             1                                 6.36
                                                                                                              ---------
                                                                                                              $542.19

Alright first let's go over the price list, you will notice the SKF 4260 and the Federal Mogul Seals listed first, some of you or all of you may know about this repair or not, but if you look at your parts book and locate your shifter shaft and where it comes out of the transmission you will note that there is a seal, which HD sells as a single lip seal which has a propensity to LEAK, as both of my bikes are doing now....lol, so a better SOLUTION is to replace this seal with a completely different seal which is a DOUBLE LIP SEAL and two companies that make the right seal which are both DOUBLE LIP SEALS which HELP to prevent leaking would be either SKF or Federal Mogul (and by the way it's now packaged under TIMKEN because TIMKEN purchased Federal Mogul) so, and by the way the only way to gain access to this LEAKING SEAL is to remove not only the outer primary, as well as the compensating sprocket and the clutch shell basket and the primary chain and tensioner, is that you ALSO have to remove the INNER PRIMARY as well.....oh yeah....it's all fun so to repair this leak it's 4 hours labor at a shop for a $7.00 seal, oh yeah baby, oh yeah.....  
:bananarock:

So that's why I am labeling this the Gear Change and Shifter Shaft Seal Repair.  

Ok so let's continue with the parts list descriptors....fortunately I was able to locate a brand new Rear Wheel Sprocket off of ebay for $119.00 shipped to me.  This part can still be purchased from HD but it's retail list is $210.00, ouch.  Next is the Andrews Transmission Sprocket/Pulley which if purchased from Andrews is priced at $135.00 I once again found one on EBAY for $89.00 brand new shipped to my door.  Of course if you do the math for the secondary drive calculations you will note that the 32T OEM Transmission Pulley/Sprocket X 65T OEM Rear Wheel Sprocket calls for a 133T OEM Kevlar Belt.  So if you do the math and reduce the 32T OEM Transmission Pulley/Sprocket down to a 30T Andrews Transmission Pulley/Sprocket and move up the Rear Wheel Sprocket from a 65T OEM to a 70T which is also OEM for different HD bikes you end up needing a kevlar belt which is 32-30 = -2    +    65 + 5 = 70T  so you need -2 +5 = +3T larger belt or a 136T Kevlar Belt.  Upon further research you will discover that all 1989-1994 FXR's use a HD# 40001-85 136T Belt and remember that the 1989 - 1993 FXR's had a final gear ratio of 3.37:1 while the 1994 FXR modeled bikes featured 3.153:1 Final Geared Ratio Bikes.  Use a 136T belt from HD....you don't want to mess around with used belts for this sort of project to say the least. I listed the part number above and the belt is readily available.

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]

FXR2evo99:
You will also note that I listed a tool which is a approximately sized 6" socket which comes with a "donut" that keeps the 6" length socket from hitting the main drive of the transmission which is needed to ACTUALLY remove the 1 7/8" Transmission Pulley/Sprocket NUT.  This tool is required to change out the 32T OEM Transmission Pulley/Sprocket to a 30T Andrews Transmission Pulley/Sprocket.  If you don't wish to do this job yourself in your own garage and you wish to take it to a indy shop or HD, then of course this tool is needless....but you will be paying roughly 5 hours labor to do this job as this job requires you to remove the swing arm as well which is beyond just the scope of removing the inner primary.  The swing arm removal is required anytime you change a belt which isn't that often of course but it's definitely part of this modification since we are lengthening the belt by 3 teeth. You must also remove the tire and replace the rear wheel sprocket from the OEM 65T to a OEM 70T Rear Wheel Sprocket.  I would say conservatively that this is a 5 hour job as far as labor costs are at a professional job, however the professional shop will not clean everything Or put everything back as carefully as I will....so for me this will be probably closer to an 8 hour job.  Cleaning bolts, cleaning the inner primary, cleaning of the threads that will handle the red loc tite at the location of the compensating sprocket, as well as the 1 7/8" Transmission Pulley/Sprocket Nut, and finality the clutch shell basket nut. Not to mention the 2 hour bike cleaning before I even begin this surgery....LOL.  

Ok so let's talk about the FINAL Gearing Ratio Numbers and the combinations you could end up with.

IF YOU DO NOTHING AND KEEP IT OEM:

25T Comp x 36T Clutch Shell Basket X 32T Transmission Pulley/Sprocket x 65T Rear Wheel Sprocket  133T Belt  =OEM 2.925 Final Gear

IF YOU CHOOSE TO MODIFY YOUR FINAL GEARING RATIOS HERE ARE "MOST" OF THE RELEVANT COMBINATIONS YOU COULD END UP WITH:

The Green Denotation Is Indeed The Combination I will be using.

25T Comp x 36T Clutch Shell Basket X 30T Transmission Pulley/Sprocket x 70T Rear Wheel Sprocket 136T Belt = 3.36 Final Gear

25T Comp x 36T Clutch Shell Basket   X   32T Transmission Pulley/Sprocket x 70T Rear Wheel Sprocket  138T*Belt  =    3.15 Final Gear

24T Comp x 37T Clutch Shell Basket   X   32T Transmission Pulley/Sprocket x 65T Rear Wheel Sprocket  133T Belt  =     3.13  Final Gear

24T Comp x 37T Clutch Shell Basket   X   30T Transmission Pulley/Sprocket x 70T Rear Wheel Sprocket  136T Belt  =     3.59 Final Gear

24T Comp x 37T Clutch Shell Basket   X   32T Transmission Pulley/Sprocket x 70T Rear Wheel Sprocket  138T*Belt  =     3.37 Final Gear

* = I know you can purchase a 133T Belt and a 136T Belt from HD, even though the math points to the idea or concept of using a 138T Belt all 1993 and 1994 FXR's use the same belt which is the part number listed above i.e.: HD# 40001-85 which is a 136T Belt so obviously one just needs to set the tension right.  The 1989-1993 FXR's have 3.37 Final Gearing and the 1994 FXR's have 3.15 Final Gearing.

So as you can see there are many options and you can study the merits of any one of them just as you can decide whether doing anything makes no sense at all....lol.....I was just trying to answer the inevitable question but what if you do this combo or that combo....mixing and matching.....this discussion assumes there is merits in my decision to change the gearing or else I wouldn't be doing it.  You may find there are no merits so this thread has little value for you....so the rest of this discussion will be based upon the merits of such a modification.

Given that you see the combos up above, what my research has shown me is that ALL 1989 FXR's through 1993 FXRs actually came with 3.37 final gearing from the factory.  The 1994 FXR's came with 3.15 gearing from the factory.

I am providing 3 gearing charts with certain Final Gearing RPMS for your review, they will be 2.925 Final Gearing, then 3.15 Final Gearing, and then 3.37 Final Gearing.  The difference between 3.36 Final Gearing and 3.37 Final Gearing isn't even worth worrying about....it's so minimal that....it's just a touch shy of 3.37 Final Gearing.  So showing the chart for 3.37 Final Gearing works easily for quick comparisons....it's like 4 or 5 RPM difference not 50 or 100 or 200 only 4-5 RPMS difference.....

What you should be able to do now with the attached charts if you have a dyno of your current bikes performance is to realize, given the cam you have chosen where your particular cam comes on and how via transferring the charting information how your engine modification is actually interacting with the OEM Final Gearing and if you were to modify how it might better interact with such chosen modification.

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99:
Here is the gearing RPM Chart for our OEM 2.925 FINAL GEARING FXR's

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]

FXR2evo99:

Here is the Gearing Chart For 3.15 FINAL GEARING

FXR2evo99:

Here is the Gearing Chart For 3.37 Final Gearing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version