Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garage door opener will work once, then stops working  (Read 5361 times)

fypmnow

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

Garage door opener will work once, then stops working
« on: February 17, 2015, 11:42:35 PM »

I have installed the remote control garage door opener kit 91558-01B on my 2014 CVO Breakout. The opener will only work one time after I program it, then it stops working and only clicks and the light flashes on the receiver. There is one step in the instructions for programming where I am confused, on step 3 it says: See figure 29. Press and hold the set button on the Harley-Davidson garage door opener receiver. The LED on the transmitter  (on the vehicle) blinks continuously while the set button is pressed. However it never blinks when the set button is pressed.
I have wired it with the harness which connects to the digital technician connector (91A) and made the connections for the black wires, the orange/white wire to the red/yellow wires and sealed the open end of the red/blue wires. And the made the white wire connections up the backbone to the headlight connection and spliced into it and used the heat gun to seal all connections.

I can only think I made an error in hooking up the receiver wire to the garage door unit because it is not clear which wire goes to which socket on the opener and maybe this is not allowing the transmitter to continuously while the set button is pushed for programming.

Frustrated....Please Help!!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Garage door opener will work once, then stops working
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:55:50 AM »

The receiver can be linked to the bike transmitter even when it isn't connected to the garage door opener, so odds are it isn't how you have it connected to the GDO.  But you could disconnect it from the GDO, plug it in to the wall outlet, and then try just to be sure. 

I'd suggest going back over the install of the transmitter to the bike and make absolutely certain you followed the instructions to the letter.  Those instructions cover many different models and years, and it's easy to miss something important to your particular model.  The HD-LAN models definitely require different methods than the older models.  If you verify you've done it exactly per the instructions and it still won't link up properly, you may have a bad kit. 

Jerry

Btw, I went back and reread your post and noticed you said the receiver LED flashes when you activate the bike transmitter.  If that is the case, then obviously you already have the transmitter programmed to the receiver.  What brand and model garage door opener are you connecting the receiver to?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:33:28 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 05:36:29 PM »

Sounds like its hooked up right on the bike. My led on the bike module flashes when the high/low beam is toggled.

fypmnow

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 06:50:17 PM »

Jerry,
I have went over the install instructions to a "T". I have a craftsman 3/4 hp DC belt drive GDO.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 07:45:17 PM »

Jerry,
I have went over the install instructions to a "T". I have a craftsman 3/4 hp DC belt drive GDO.

If it's the opener that comes with the digital readout wall control, I think they call it Assured Link or something similar, it is made by Chamberlain and just like the Chamberlain openers it will require a different method to connect to the Harley receiver.  There are several threads around here talking about the issue.  Does yours have a simple single button wall control, or a multifunction digital control panel?

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Firewalker

• Firewalker.
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 non-CVO Road King Classic
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 08:01:04 PM »

I have fought with my HD opener to try and synch it with my 'Overhead Door' opener and now it sits on the shelf. Every combination I tried will not work. If anyone knows a solution for this I would appreciate it. Very frustrating. Thanks.

fypmnow

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 08:22:56 PM »

It is the Assurelink with the digital display and multifunction digital control panel. It tells you everything but how to program your Harley door opener!!!!lol

fypmnow

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 08:32:58 PM »

Jerry,
I am having trouble finding any searches pertaining to the Chamberlain door openers. If you could please attach a link please I would appreciate it.

TIA,
Chad
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:36:54 PM by fypmnow »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 08:49:58 PM »

Not Jerry but you may find this thread helpful - Chamberlain / Liftmaster / AssureLink compatible with Harley garage door opener. I have no experience/use of this product so can't speak first hand of it.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

fypmnow

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:46:25 PM »

Thanks I got it, now to spend more money. I will now send my receiver in and hopefully get it back soon! Cross my fingers and hope it works.

I want to say thanks for helping out, great forum!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 10:50:47 PM »

The product offered in that thread does work and it's pretty much plug and play from what I've read.  If you want a free way, you can run the wires from the Harley receiver over to your fancy wall display and find the pins on the circuit board for the actual button that opens and closes the door, and solder the two Harley wires to those two pins (doesn't matter which goes to which).  If I can find the photo someone posted showing the board and the soldered connections I'll come back and attach it here.

Jerry

OK, found the photo (not mine, came from another member's post).  Locate the actual switch that is activated by the push button that opens and closes the door, then go to the backside of the board and locate the two pins for the switch.  Verify with a jumper wire that you have the correct pins before you actually solder the receiver wires to the pins.  Shorting across the pins should operate the door.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:09:43 PM by grc »

gearue

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 04:47:28 PM »

I have a Genie PowerLift 900. I was unable to program unit to my door. HD dealer was no help. Some where on the hdforums there is a post about using the two test contacts. On my unit I used two indicated with red arrow on the top left of the board. Before I soldered the receiver wires to board I jumpered test contacts to see if it would work. It worked great.

sneezy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 09:11:13 PM »

I have been thru two garage door openers in the first 2 months of owning my 2015. They work a couple of times then the red light goes out as if it is not even plugged in. Harley really should not have their logo on that thing. I am giving up on it and going back to a remote velcroed somewhere within reach.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.