Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traffic Alerts  (Read 1298 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Traffic Alerts
« on: May 08, 2017, 06:03:47 PM »

I am still learning all the myriad intricacies on the Boom Box on my 2017 CVO Limited.  I don't use its GPS often since I installed a Garmin RT Zumo 590 but I was running a route on the internal GPS yesterday and I got an alert that a bridge was out.  It did not specify where that was or how far it was.  As I recall the response options were to detour or ignore.  I told it to ignore but it alerted a couple more times and sure enough after several miles the road was indeed closed due to a bridge being under repair.

So my question is:  what caused these alerts?  I definitely do not have a subscription to Sirius XM traffic and according to H-D customer no service that is required in order to get traffic alerts.  They could not explain to any level of satisfaction what was going on with these alerts.

Now I know traffic alerts are possible over FM vs Sirius XM as I have that on the Garmin Nuvi in my cage.  Just wondering if the Boom Box has this capability.  If so I cannot locate anything about it and I'm mystified by the alerts I received.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
Re: Traffic Alerts
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »

I'm not the expert on the GPS, but here is what I know...mostly from reading the User Manual supplemented by some research on the web...

The Boom! Box has two possible sources for traffic information - 1) the Radio Data System - Traffic Message Channel (RDS-TMC), or 2) Sirius XM Traffic. Since you haven't subscribed to Sirius, then you are probably getting your signal from RDS-TMC. You can turn the traffic alerts on/off by selecting Home > Setup > Traffic, it is a simple on/off toggle, as I recall.

Thanks for the reminder. I believe mine is set to off as I haven't received any alerts since purchasing my bike in July. I'm going to turn it on for the trip to ES for the MITM!
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 06:24:47 PM »

I'm not the expert on the GPS, but here is what I know...mostly from reading the User Manual supplemented by some research on the web...

The Boom! Box has two possible sources for traffic information - 1) the Radio Data System - Traffic Message Channel (RDS-TMC), or 2) Sirius XM Traffic. Since you haven't subscribed to Sirius, then you are probably getting your signal from RDS-TMC. You can turn the traffic alerts on/off by selecting Home > Setup > Traffic, it is a simple on/off toggle, as I recall.

Thanks for the reminder. I believe mine is set to off as I haven't received any alerts since purchasing my bike in July. I'm going to turn it on for the trip to ES for the MITM!
Thanks for the reply.  And I did in fact read that very same info in the Boom Box owners manual and surmised that I could get traffic from the RDS-TMC.  That was my argument to H-D customer no service but they said Sirius XM was required even though the owner's manual seems to say otherwise.  But does RDS-TMS require a subscription or is it included?  Don't know.  And when I selected Home > Setup > there was no Traffic option shown.  Very confused. :nixweiss:

Added:  And I verified that I do have the latest software update - V 1.21.0.4
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:27:41 PM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 06:53:05 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  And I did in fact read that very same info in the Boom Box owners manual and surmised that I could get traffic from the RDS-TMC.  That was my argument to H-D customer no service but they said Sirius XM was required even though the owner's manual seems to say otherwise.  But does RDS-TMS require a subscription or is it included?  Don't know.  And when I selected Home > Setup > there was no Traffic option shown.  Very confused. :nixweiss:

Just an FYI, I believe you get a free 3 month Sirius subscription (at least I did with my 2016) but the salesman never told me about it, just get your Sirius ESN number and call Sirius (the phone number comes up on the preview channel) and tell them you what to activate your free subscription and have your bike outside with the radio on. 
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

05Quadrasteer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2020 Road Glide CVO
    • CVO2: 2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
    • CVO3: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO (totaled after hitting a deer)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:40:02 PM »

No subscription needed for the RDS-TMC, you just have to be in an area where those signal are available.

Bill
Bill
2023 Road Glide CVO
2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
2012 Road Glide Custom CVO (totaled after hitting a deer)

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »

I'll check my menu later today and advise if the option is there now.

I took advantage of the SiriusXM trial period when I first got the bike. We were taking a trip to Colorado and I thought the traffic alerts and XM radio would be an added convenience. What I found is the traffic alerts only worked when I was in a larger city (e.g., Colorado Springs) and that the XM signal wasn't as bullet-proof as it claimed (it cut in/out while going through the canyons). I do 95% of my riding in rural areas, so the most common traffic problem is a lane closure for resurfacing, not exactly the end of the world if I come upon one of those. There were a few other minor annoyances with Sirius, so I didn't bother to do the paid subscription.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 09:06:33 AM »

I'll check my menu later today and advise if the option is there now.

I took advantage of the SiriusXM trial period when I first got the bike. We were taking a trip to Colorado and I thought the traffic alerts and XM radio would be an added convenience. What I found is the traffic alerts only worked when I was in a larger city (e.g., Colorado Springs) and that the XM signal wasn't as bullet-proof as it claimed (it cut in/out while going through the canyons). I do 95% of my riding in rural areas, so the most common traffic problem is a lane closure for resurfacing, not exactly the end of the world if I come upon one of those. There were a few other minor annoyances with Sirius, so I didn't bother to do the paid subscription.
Thanks and I too understand that the traffic info and alerts are available only in certain metro areas.  I'm familiar with the info and alerts on my Garmin Nuvi in my cage and after reading the H-D owner's manual I too concluded that traffic info and alerts could be had without a Sirius XM subscription . . . but now I just don't know.   :nixweiss:

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »

Had the bike outside in the driveway today washing it and fired up the Boom Box.  Lo and behold I had a selection for Traffic on the Navigation Setup menu.  When I tried it yesterday I was in the garage but the GPS was functioning.  It even let me load a route to a dealer I selected from the database but there was no selection for Traffic on the Nav Setup menu.  Very strange.

But sometimes it takes much longer than other times for the Nav to activate so maybe I didn't give it enough time to fully activate or perhaps being under roof interfered somewhat.

In any case I have verified that Yes, the Boom Box does have Traffic alerts feature independent of a Sirius XM Traffic subscription.

Thanks for the help. :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 24 queries.