Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Motolights and Fairing Lowers Installed--Pics added  (Read 9985 times)

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Motolights and Fairing Lowers Installed--Pics added
« on: June 12, 2008, 11:43:58 PM »

Recently installed a pair of Motolights on my '04 EG after removing the SE passing lamp brackets/spot lights, and because the HD fog lamps will be removed for installation of fairing lowers.  They are an excellent alternative IMO for adding riding light to the front of the bike for night riding/conspicuitry

Seems to be a well-made product, excellent instructions, and easy plug and play installation.  A chrome version is available for $110 extra; mine is the basic HD kit, including 50W halogen bulbs, for $385.00 delivered.  Personally, I don't consider them a "plus" cosmetically, but functionally they WORK. 

They mount using the upper brake caliper bolt location with a moutning block and longer bolt used to secure the housing; a pinch bolt secures the light housing in the "block."  The lights come pre-wired with connectors that plug into corresponding connectors on the wiring harness. 

The harness is very similar to the harness used for the HD fog lamps with a fused relay to provide power to the lights, and an on/off switch circuit that uses the accessory plug under the seat/front of the battery--so the lights are controlled by the ACC switch.  I simply raised the gas tank to run the harness front to back.

Here's a pic of the lights, wiring, and blocks:

Here are pics of the lights installed:

Pic of the front end of the wiring harness to show the connectors; the pic shows the harness "short" of its final location since the connectors go inside the fairing to connect to the lights' wiring connectors:

This is the rear of the harness showing the relay; it fits neatly inside the area in front of the battery:

A pic of the motolights from the front:

A pic of the lights at night:

The kit comes with a tube to mount over the lights on which a level is placed to aim the lights.  It also includes a 3/16" allen wrench for the pinch bolts; and the caliper bolts use a 5/16" allen wrench that is not supplied.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:11:58 AM by Harleypingman »

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: Motolights Installed--Pics
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 02:56:35 PM »

I like the functionality of those. Kinda on the fence about cosmetics. Not sure if they look too different or way cool. Post some pics when you get the lowers on. $500 for the chrome version seems high, but what isn't?

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 11:42:39 PM »

Just installed the fairing lowers yesterday.  Remarkably, I ordered them on June 8 from my local dealer (they discounted them more than normal so it was only $25 more than Zanotti's), and they arrived June 20th--12 days from order to receipt--and the sticker inside the caps was dated June 7--checked to be sure the paint was dry. :)

I took a short ride this evening and compared the lighting in a dark parking lot.  I have an on/off switch for my headlamp, so I ran tests to see how much the Motolights added to forward visibility.  Basically, I turned off the Motolights and established an endpoint where the headlamp only stopped providing adequate illumination.  I then turned on the Moto lights, and turned off the headlamp.  I then began walking the bike backwards until the same reference point established by the headlamp only procedure was reached.  I ended up walking the bike backwards a significant distance that was at least double the distance from the bike with headlamp only to the reference point, and likely three times further back.  I was in a hurry this evening, so I didn't pace the two distances.

I'm going to do a measured test soon and bring my digital camera for pics.

I should have some pics of the Motolights and lower fairings in a day or two--just need to find a few spare minutes.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:47:18 PM »

I looked into these and they sure are expensive (more so in chrome!). However, if they work well, seems to be money in the bank. I too would love to see some seated pics looking down the road (without a flash), with the stock headlamp, and then with the Moto's on too. That would be a real help. Thanks!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:07:15 PM »

Looks like they light up the road well at night. THE MUFFMAN

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 02:15:13 PM »

I HAVE THESE ON MY ROAD GLIDE WITH LOWERS AND MY SPORTSTER. WOULD NOT RIDE AT NIGHT WITHOUT THE , DON'T NEED HEADLIGHT IF YOU HAVE THESE. CHECK WITH HOGASAM HE'LL TELL YOU ABOUT RIDING IN FRONT OF A BIKE EQUIPTED WITH MOTOLIGHTS. I HAVE HAD THEM FOR 4 YEARS. IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO ATTACH A PICTURE I WILL.
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:11:10 AM »

Here are a couple of pics with the Motolights and fairing lowers recently installed. 

[img][/img]

[/img]

The Motolights work great for conspicuity during daytime riding, and provide a lot of light for night riding--enough so that I don't miss the passing lamps and HD fog lights.  And have provided an excellent solution for both riding situations for the installation of the fairing lowers.

My take-off Custom Aux Passing Lamp brackets and spots are or will shortly be installed on an '07 SE RK in California and the fog lamps are now installed on a buddy's '06 RK--so they've been re-cycled so to speak.

Bottom line is I'm pleased with the project and recommend Motolights as a well-manufactured, easily installed aftermarket product that offers a lot of light for those who want that.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Motolights and Fairing Lowers Installed--Pics added
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »

I picked up a set of Motolights at Americade. Well made, lifetime warranty (even the bulbs) and I got the chrome version. Still playing with adjustment but they fill the dark spot left by the HID headlamp nicely.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 01:27:15 PM »

I was about to order a third pair of Motolights for "Pimp Daddy Blue" and was trying to find a cheaper alternative. Here is a product that might be a very inexpensive alternative to the Motolights. Is anyone familiar with these? http://www.jcwhitney.com/OPTRONICS-COMPETITION-SERIES-DRIVING-LIGHTS/GP_2003730_N_111+10201+600010204_10101.jcw

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 07:31:58 PM »

I was about to order a third pair of Motolights for "Pimp Daddy Blue" and was trying to find a cheaper alternative. Here is a product that might be a very inexpensive alternative to the Motolights. Is anyone familiar with these? http://www.jcwhitney.com/OPTRONICS-COMPETITION-SERIES-DRIVING-LIGHTS/GP_2003730_N_111+10201+600010204_10101.jcw

Mark,

Are the Motolights the one's you have on the Banana? Aren't they chrome?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 07:52:17 PM »

They're definitely cheaper than the Motolights Mark.  But then again so is the GDP of Haiti.  First thought on seeing those in the JC Whitney link is that there is no clean mounting for them.  They're going to be bolted on or through something somewhere.  Especially on that Springer I can't think of anyplace they'd mount cleanly though.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 09:04:40 PM »

Mark,

Are the Motolights the one's you have on the Banana? Aren't they chrome?

Yep, they are chrome and are also on Elvis which is why I'm looking for a cheaper alternative for the Heritage Springer I just bought. The few must haves for this bike are Motolights (would not leave home without them), HID headlight and the Kuryakyn Tombstone LED's. All three are really for safety and I really feel the Motolights look good but 90% of my needing them is so Chuck can see me in my normal slow sweeping position.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 09:24:19 PM »

They're definitely cheaper than the Motolights Mark.  But then again so is the GDP of Haiti.  First thought on seeing those in the JC Whitney link is that there is no clean mounting for them.  They're going to be bolted on or through something somewhere.  Especially on that Springer I can't think of anyplace they'd mount cleanly though.

Don, I got the same problem with Motolights, they have only 2 mounting choices, caliper mount and fender bolt mount. I talked to them this afternoon and they told me they once offered a crash bar mount (like HD's fog lights) but dropped them due to no interest. They said it was such a bad seller that the last year they offered them only two were sold. I asked him with a springer front end and a solo front brake were there any other options to mount them. He said he thought they had a few crash bar mounts left in a box somewhere and they were offered only in brushed but if he could find them he could send a pair out to be chromed and I could buy them. That is why I started looking for alternatives, I don't like the idea of mounting them on the crash bars but if that was my only option the JC Whitney is about $500.00 cheaper. Plus I like the fact the caliper mounted Motolights do not really stand out except when riding for their intended purpose. I think they my look like chit on Pimp Daddy Blue's crash bars. I'm so confused. :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »

Harleypingman, I see you have the crash bar mounted fog lights, did you drill the crash bars and internally run the wires?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 09:39:51 PM »

Don, I got the same problem with Motolights, they have only 2 mounting choices, caliper mount and fender bolt mount.

My bad.  Was thinking of the Springer but wasn't thinking of the single brake. 

You mentioned above hanging lights on the crash bar.  Drilling the crash bar and running the wires inside isn't a huge task.  Might say a bad word or two getting it fished.  But it's not bad.  Those Harley branded fog/running lights to hang on the crash bars don't look bad.  So at least you've got some options to consider.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.