Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Navigation System Failure  (Read 5363 times)

Ultra Villa

• Full CVO Member
    • NJ

• CVO1: 14 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHX
Navigation System Failure
« on: October 01, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »

Hello All

Has anyone else experienced any problems with the Harmon Kardon Navigation System?  I have and '08 Ultra and it is not reading any satellites.  The problem was steady during my trip to Milwaukee, but now is more intermittent.  I suspect a loose antenna wire, my dealer is looking into it with the motor company, but in reading your post, it is obvious there is more information here than at the motor company.
Live for today, for yesterday is already gone and tomorrow may never come.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Navigation System Failure
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 12:30:49 PM »

Hello All

but in reading your post, it is obvious there is more information here than at the motor company.

Sad but true.  Sorry I can't help (old map reader) but sure someone will.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 12:45:53 PM »

Good news is, it's under warranty

Bad news is, I have no idea what's causing it.  I've had intermittent outages on the XM when the southern horizon is obscured by trees, buildings, or hills but I haven't had that happen with the GPS.  Does the display tell you it's unable to secure a satellite signal?
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 12:46:43 PM »

Didn't have any trouble with mine, but it is not working now...... I now use a Garmin Zumo.  If you think you need a GPS, the $$$ spent on a Zumo is money well spent (+ you get a MP3 player... way cool!)

My guess is that you have a loose connection or short in a wire.  It's pretty easy to take the outer fairing off to check the connections.

Ultra Villa

• Full CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 01:05:10 PM »

Good news is, it's under warranty

Bad news is, I have no idea what's causing it.  I've had intermittent outages on the XM when the southern horizon is obscured by trees, buildings, or hills but I haven't had that happen with the GPS.  Does the display tell you it's unable to secure a satellite signal?

No indication on satelite signal, but keeps saying off road and when i access the GPS screen, it shows 0 satelites and lat and long are also 0.

Thank god for warranty's

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »

I also agree with Rebel's comments,
I have same bike as you, It is no comparison what you can do with theZumo 550.

I was directed to P.C. Nation by our members, for best Price of the Zumo 550.

Sawyer Ghost

jgierlach

• CVO1: 2007 SE ULTRA RED AND BLACK
    • CVO2: 2010 SE ULTRA BLACK
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »

Hello Ultra Villa, I ran into the same problems with mine in Milwaukee also and its not a loose wire, its with the unit it self, your GPS went bad, the dealer told me that they needed to order two new parts one is a new GPS unit and the other I wont know till its installed this week the parts just came in today. Ill let you know what they did. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: one more thing when I told them the unit is bad they said to ride it but dont get lost. :nixweiss:

Ultra Villa

• Full CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 09:59:40 AM »

Hello Ultra Villa, I ran into the same problems with mine in Milwaukee also and its not a loose wire, its with the unit it self, your GPS went bad, the dealer told me that they needed to order two new parts one is a new GPS unit and the other I wont know till its installed this week the parts just came in today. Ill let you know what they did. one more thing when I told them the unit is bad they said to ride it but dont get lost.

Thanks for the info, I will go to have it checked out soon.  I just got the bike back, so I am reluctant to give it up for a while.  I'll try to not get lost in the meantime.  I'll look forward to getting the rest of the info so I may provide that to the shop, at least they will have something to go on.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 07:24:21 PM »

The nav system in my 09 SEUC has not worked since I took delivery on 11/06.  It will not acquire satellites.  Dealer says it is a widespread problem, that they didn't know what it was, and that they are waiting for the MOCO to come up with a fix.  So far, I have been checking weekly and getting nothing.  Does anyone have any recent info on this problem?
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 10:23:17 PM »

The nav system in my 09 SEUC has not worked since I took delivery on 11/06.  It will not acquire satellites.  Dealer says it is a widespread problem, that they didn't know what it was, and that they are waiting for the MOCO to come up with a fix.  So far, I have been checking weekly and getting nothing.  Does anyone have any recent info on this problem?

Don't have any idea if mine works or not..... Got smart and bought a Zumo back in the spring ;)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 10:47:48 PM »

I've never heard of the HK having problems aquiring satellites or there being a wide spread problem.  Mine has worked fine since the day I bought it.  It could be something as simple as the antenna not being connected (although, I don't know if that's a possiblity as I've never looked at the NAV module for the HK control head, so I don't know if it has a separate antenna, like the XM does.)  I haven't seen or heard of any tech bulletins from the MoCo on this either.  I believe you have the same unit that I do in my 07.  Check with another dealer and see what they say.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »

No idea if my HK units works or not.  Had the bike over two years and never even tried the HK gps.  My Garmin 2720 works just fine.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 07:45:48 PM »

No idea if my HK units works or not.   Had the bike over two years and never even tried the HK gps.  My Garmin 2720 works just fine.

Me neither...never tried the nav unit or the XM...

My Zumo takes care of both....   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 07:46:55 PM »

Sorry dude.  The problem with the factory system is that it sucks.  I gave up and use a Garmin. :-\
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 11:56:27 AM »

The GPS unit is a module.  It has a separate outboard antenna located right below the windshield inside the fairing (right side when looking from the front as I recall, but I could be wrong).  Two possibilities:

One of them is not working.  It's under warrenty.  They will replace them.  If your dealer can't figure that out, find another dealer.

One of them is not connected properly.  It's under warrenty.  Thay will connect them.  If your dealer can't figure that out, find another dealer.

And I agree that the Zumo 550 is tons better (I'm getting one for my wife's bike for Christmas...) but I love not having the bulky unit hanging on my bars and the fact the the factory unit allows me to play my XM (Without spending 300 for the XM antenna for the 550) or the regular radio and still get directions.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.