Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Is it illegal to have red turn signals in your state?  (Read 20429 times)

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Re: Is it illegal to have red turn signals in your state?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 09:32:01 AM »

I could be completely wrong but I believe Harley does not offer rear red turnsignal lens for the light bars that our SE bikes come with but do have red turnsignal lens for the light bars that come on regular Ultras, Road Kings, and Heritages.

Your right, your wrong.... ;D....69462-06A comes with the red lenses for the bullet lense style.  Had em on my '06 SE, and you can get them in the chrome visor version also 69757-05.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 09:37:12 AM »

I just put the run/brake/turn module on my CVO and was wondering which states have a problem with the red lights in the turn signals?
As of right now I still have the amber bulbs in.

Guppy, and others....I posted this elsewhere when somebody asked, but you may find that the difference between RUN and BRAKE isn't much with this module, if so RUN can easily be removed......taking it back to the way this module use to work before they fixed it, Brake/Turn only.

--------------------------------------------------------

Converting a Brake/Run/Turn Module to a Brake/Turn Module.

On the Female connector (the small one) cut the blue wire coming off #7 on the connector.  On the module side of the blue wire tape or put heat shrink on to protect it.  From the connector side of the blue wire you will put on a jumper that is long enough to up to the module and back down the other set of wires to a cut you will be making on the blue wire on that side (below).

On the Male Connector (the large one) cut the blue wire coming from #7 on the connector and on the connector side of the wire connect it to the jumper coming from the Female connector (above).  This allows the running lights to continue working as normal.  Then take the blue wire coming from the module and piggyback it on the Red/Yellow wire coming off the Male Connector #6.

For those with Tourpak Lights

If you'd like to make your tourpak lights operate as turn signals and brake lights.  Piggyback a jumper wire onto each the Violet wire and the Brown wire on the Male Connector.  Run these up into the tourpak and cut the Red/Yellow wire going to the tourpak lights 3-4 inches from each light.  Splice one of the jumper wires to the light side of the Red/Yellow wire on each light and your done.  I don't recall which is left and which is right so you'll need to figure that out.

Heat Shrink, tape and tie wrap as you deem appropriate......

I've run mine like this for over 15K miles now with no issues on either modification.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 03:59:26 PM by FR8TRN »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 12:28:22 PM »

Your right, your wrong.... ;D....69462-06A comes with the red lenses for the bullet lense style.  Had em on my '06 SE, and you can get them in the chrome visor version also 69757-05.

I knew if I were wrong, I'd get straightened out.  Thanks.    :)

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 12:38:41 PM »

I had a Big Dog Chopper and all it had was the turn signals that acted as brake, running, and turn signals.  Harley now offers some models with the same - the '09 SERG, the Nightster, the Rocker (maybe others).  Everything is in red on the rear.

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 01:36:16 PM »

My brother's name is Gomer, I'll have to check his moped.

I had a red vespa once.  Would have looked real nice to switch those yellow lenses up front with red.  Maybe some rice rockets would look good that way too!

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 01:03:04 PM »

FR8TRN

I would like to make my kuryakyn run/brake/turn into a brake/turn only but not sure if I am up to the procedure you just described.  The wires you are cutting are only on the module not any on the original wire harness?  Would it be possible to talk you into a full how to with pictures, lots and lots of pictures. 
What is the best way to piggyback the wires?

Thanks
gt

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 01:46:15 PM »

For those with Tourpak Lights

If you'd like to make your tourpak lights operate as turn signals and brake lights.  Piggyback a jumper wire onto each the Violet wire and the Brown wire on the Male Connector.  Run these up into the tourpak and cut the Orange wire going to the tourpak lights 3-4 inches from each light.  Splice one of the jumper wires to the light side of the Orange wire on each light and your done.  I don't recall which is left and which is right so you'll need to figure that out.

Heat Shrink, tape and tie wrap as you deem appropriate......

Questions on the above:  Are we talking about one violet wire and one brown wire?  Where do I find this male connector?  Where do I enter the tourpack with these wires?  Then, do I actually cut the orange wires...not just bare the wire and splice into them, 3-4 inches from each light?

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 03:17:31 PM »

Everything is in red on the rear.

you stick the wrong wire in the wrong connector and this shall happen. ::)
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 03:51:08 PM »

FR8TRN

I would like to make my kuryakyn run/brake/turn into a brake/turn only but not sure if I am up to the procedure you just described.  The wires you are cutting are only on the module not any on the original wire harness?  Would it be possible to talk you into a full how to with pictures, lots and lots of pictures. 
What is the best way to piggyback the wires?

Thanks
gt

Yes, you just cut the wires on the module, not the factory wiring.  I usually pull back the insulation and wrap wire I'm piggybacking around the exposed area, solder it and then wrap it with sealing tape.  Another option would be to cut it, splice the 3 wire ends together via your favorite method.

For the tourpak lights you must cut factory wiring.......

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 03:57:04 PM »

Questions on the above:  Are we talking about one violet wire and one brown wire?  Where do I find this male connector?  Where do I enter the tourpack with these wires?  Then, do I actually cut the orange wires...not just bare the wire and splice into them, 3-4 inches from each light?

Yes the violet and brown wire on the Brake/Turn Module male connector.  I brought mine in right where the other wires come into the torupak.  No you can't piggyback onto the Red/Yellow (I corrected it I thought, it's not orange, it's Red/Yellow in the Tourpak), that is the wire for the brake light, you'll have issues if you do this.  Since stock both light operate as brake only they only ran 1 wire into the tourpak to feed both.  You are just cutting and leaving enough to splice back later should you need/want to.

I'm really bad at explaining stuff......I usually just do it.....come on out to MD, it'll take 15 minutes..... ;)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 07:32:41 PM »

Looks like Whiteford is a little bit more of a haul than I want to try in questionable weather.  I could probably make it in 4.5 hrs with one gas stop, but I think it would be easier to just figure out where the brake/turn module is located.

If I am planning on doing the run/brake/turn module at some point, that would be where you disconnect the male/female and add the new module in between???  I am also figuring then, that if I do the splice before the brake/turn module, it won't make any change to the tourpack lamps when I add the run/brake/turn module.  They will then still just be brake/turn???

I just haven't decided on what route I want to go with the other rear lights yet, but I know I would like the tourpack lamps to function as turn signals, so I thought I would go ahead an knock this out while I have things apart.  I know that on my last bike, the brake/turn module was right there when you took the seat off.  I'll take a look tonight to see if I can figure this out with any certainty without someone taking a picture of it to guide me to the correct module.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 07:41:03 PM »

If you make the change to the tourpack lamps and make them brake/turn,  what happens when you have the brake on at the same time you have the turn signal on.  Can it do both at once?  I'm going to go take a look at it.  It sounds like this is a single filament socket and bulb.  Would it be better to change this to dual filament and then make it run/turn/brake when everything else is switched over?

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 08:10:43 PM »

Looks like Whiteford is a little bit more of a haul than I want to try in questionable weather.  I could probably make it in 4.5 hrs with one gas stop, but I think it would be easier to just figure out where the brake/turn module is located.

If I am planning on doing the run/brake/turn module at some point, that would be where you disconnect the male/female and add the new module in between???  I am also figuring then, that if I do the splice before the brake/turn module, it won't make any change to the tourpack lamps when I add the run/brake/turn module.  They will then still just be brake/turn???

I just haven't decided on what route I want to go with the other rear lights yet, but I know I would like the tourpack lamps to function as turn signals, so I thought I would go ahead an knock this out while I have things apart.  I know that on my last bike, the brake/turn module was right there when you took the seat off.  I'll take a look tonight to see if I can figure this out with any certainty without someone taking a picture of it to guide me to the correct module.

These mods are done to/with the Brake/Turn/Run Module........do not do this before the module, it won't work.  You have to make the changes after the module (in it's wiring harness is best), the allows the tourpak lights to function as brake lights and as turn signals.  Just like the module does for the regular turn signals.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 08:13:30 PM »

If you make the change to the tourpack lamps and make them brake/turn,  what happens when you have the brake on at the same time you have the turn signal on.  Can it do both at once?  I'm going to go take a look at it.  It sounds like this is a single filament socket and bulb.  Would it be better to change this to dual filament and then make it run/turn/brake when everything else is switched over?

Your making this alot more complicated than it is.  The lights in the tourpak are already dual filament, stock they are brake and running lights.  All I've done is make the brake function work just like the module does for the regular turn signals, no different.  When you have the brakes applied and the right turn signal on, the left light will be lit just like it is with the brake applied and the right light will flash like a turn signal.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 10:12:55 PM »

These mods are done to/with the Brake/Turn/Run Module........do not do this before the module, it won't work.  You have to make the changes after the module (in it's wiring harness is best), the allows the tourpak lights to function as brake lights and as turn signals.  Just like the module does for the regular turn signals.

Okay, now we are getting somewhere.  I guess I'll have to wait to see what I do for the module.  I'm not sure whether to go with the Harley or Kuryakyn Panacea.  It looks like making the turn signals red on this bike doesn't meet DOT, although I have my doubts that anyone would ever catch that.  If I don't do that, then I'll just go to the LED taillamp and add a strip of LED's to the bottom rear edge of the tourpack.  Thanks for the info.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.