Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Hog Tunes vs. Hawg Wired Speakers  (Read 37949 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Hog Tunes vs. Hawg Wired Speakers
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2005, 01:27:02 PM »

Mark,
I didn't do the Nav unit.  And really don't plan on it unless would just stumble in to smoking deal on eBay or something someday.

The nav unit is really just a navigation unit.  Not a mapping unit at all.  It's (basically) turn by turn local routing and a trip computer all done in the small radio display.  No mapping display at all though.  Got a chance to look at one installed on a bike for a bit one afternoon and really wasn't impressed.  Especially when you find out it costs more than does the radio.

Like you I've got the Garmin 2620.  Used a simple quickly removable handlebard mount.  Also took their accessory power cable, built it a length that just effectively reaches the lighter plug with a good plug from Radio Shack, and it works great.  It's not cumbersome.  The cord is out of the way.  The unit is either on or off the bike in literally 90 seconds.

The mapping display on the 2620 is good enough, and so intuitive, that I don't even mess with hooking up the audio.  It's not necessary (at least for me), means I don't have a cord draped across the fairing or tank, and it just works great without it.  Have used it on three long-ish trips and a few short ones this way and it's a completely effective solution.

As for selling the old radio; I just put it on eBay and started the auction at a dollar (that's how I always do it there).  So the market set the price, not me.  In fact it "sold" twice.  First buyer claimed poverty after the fact; so I relisted it.  Exactly the same price the second time from a different bunch of bidders.  So something close to that price ought to be reachable again, at least for awhile.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2005, 02:29:15 PM »

Don,
That was what I thought your response was going to be, and what I figured the small screen would do. I didnt think that it would be that much though. Question answered, that would be that! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
  I'll then stay with the 2620 and redoe the power led to it, so as to hide it as much as possible and out of my way. The voice option even at top setting doesnt work on the bike, it does however work very well in the Denali, that it needs to be turned to half volume.
Ebay will be having another unit rolling through it soon. Unless someone on this site needs one then it would go to a member first!
Thanks again for the help and tips Don [smiley=drink.gif]
Mark
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2005, 02:33:57 PM »

Don,
That was what I thought your response was going to be, and what I figured the small screen would do. I didnt think that it would be that much though. Question answered, that would be that! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
  I'll then stay with the 2620 and redoe the power led to it, so as to hide it as much as possible and out of my way. The voice option even at top setting doesnt work on the bike, it does however work very well in the Denali, that it needs to be turned to half volume.
Ebay will be having another unit rolling through it soon. Unless someone on this site needs one then it would go to a member first!
Thanks again for the help and tips Don [smiley=drink.gif]
Mark

Mark,
The audio out of the 2620 never will work right when just plugged in to the aux port on the bike's radio.  One is an amplified and the other an unamplified line.  There are some signal adapators you can get to plug in between.  But that makes even more "stuff" in the cable.  More to be ugly and in the way.  I'll PM you my phone number.  It appears we've got a fair bit of the same stuff going on.  Never hesitate to call if you're wondering about something.

Don

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2005, 04:24:39 PM »

2lane,
I'll go online with Garmin to see if theres another cable that will do me without the speaker in it, seeing as it will just touch the tank if I "park it" the whole way.
Thank for the numbers bro [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Mark

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2005, 07:18:29 AM »

2lane,
I'll go online with Garmin to see if theres another cable that will do me without the speaker in it, seeing as it will just touch the tank if I "park it" the whole way.
Thank for the numbers bro [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Mark

Mark, don't buy a cable separate.  The mount kit I got included a cable.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2005, 08:44:05 AM »

Don,
Well it does look like a lot in the way of alternate cables anyway. :-?
Although I will get the remote antenna for the Denali for sure, saw it online for $56.00 instead of Garmins site for $99.00  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2005, 08:48:13 PM »

Mark, mounts for the Garmin units was being chatted up in another thread too.  Take a look here for a post that takes longer to read than it does to use or mount any of the parts it is talking about:

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1132935548/12#12

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2005, 09:52:49 PM »

Dude,

Just an FYI on the swap of the amps as mentioned earlier in this thread.  With the first amps supplied interference from them was spoofing the small antenna tucked up inside the fairing on the red bike.  Paul at HawgWired sent a replacement pair of a newly revised model.  

Where the interference previously caused the radio's seek function to stop on every freq the new amps completely cleaned up the problem.  Seek functions work perfectly again.

I'd not reported the issue to HawgWired as a problem. The system worked too well to complain about and favorite FM stations could be preset anyway.  Of his own accord Paul sent the replacements to see if they'd help.  

The same may not be as complete a solution for someone with a differnet antenna or different placement.  But at least in my case it works perfect now.  Should anyone have pieces in hand causing a similar problem my original amps were marked as REV 2A pieces.  The replacements are REV 3A.

Great service by the company and, once again, a wonderfully performing and beautifully designed product.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2005, 10:29:31 PM »

Dude,

Just an FYI on the swap of the amps as mentioned earlier in this thread.  With the first amps supplied interference from them was spoofing the small antenna tucked up inside the fairing on the red bike.  Paul at HawgWired sent a replacement pair of a newly revised model.  

Where the interference previously caused the radio's seek function to stop on every freq the new amps completely cleaned up the problem.  Seek functions work perfectly again.

I'd not reported the issue to HawgWired as a problem. The system worked too well to complain about and favorite FM stations could be preset anyway.  Of his own accord Paul sent the replacements to see if they'd help.  

The same may not be as complete a solution for someone with a differnet antenna or different placement.  But at least in my case it works perfect now.  Should anyone have pieces in hand causing a similar problem my original amps were marked as REV 2A pieces.  The replacements are REV 3A.

Great service by the company and, once again, a wonderfully performing and beautifully designed product.

Thanks for the update Don, I'll pass the positive feedback onto Paul. Did you try the speakers?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2005, 11:45:26 PM »

Thanks for the update Don, I'll pass the positive feedback onto Paul. Did you try the speakers?

Jim, yes; did try the speakers.  At least to my ears there's not a heluva lot of difference.  The HogTunes seem to be a bit "bigger" down low while the HawgWired speakers are a bit purer in mid range and up high.  Both are good.  And the differences are there.  Just not in tremendous amounts either way.

When Paul told me he was sending the amps he'd asked for an update on how well or if they made a difference.  So I let him know this evening that the improvement was substantial.  Really got the system back to working "normally," which is all you can ever ask for.

Seems now that the only thing to do with the HawgWired equipment is wait for the new speakers that Paul has described.  Hopefully before spring we'll see those as an option.  From at least his early descriptions of the product those should be well worth waiting for.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2005, 10:59:34 PM »

Jim and I swapped out my Hog Tunes for the Hawg-Wired speakers today.  In the 80 MPH test, I feel that the Hawg-Wired are nicer to my ear.  The Hot Tunes are fuller, but the crispness of the mids and highs (which is all you really hear at 80 MPH) is better in the Hawg-Wired speakers.  I'm very happy with the Hawg-Wired amp/speaker combo.  Like Twolane said, now all I have to do is wait for the new speakers to be put on the market...

2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2006, 10:52:25 PM »

Guys,

I talked to Paul at the V Twin Expo last weekend. He has the new speakers in his bike at this point and said they'd be available to the public shortly (weeks not month's as he put it). So stand by for updates. I guess you could start placing order's at this point.............

Fatboy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2006, 11:34:46 PM »

Guys,

I talked to Paul at the V Twin Expo last weekend. He has the new speakers in his bike at this point and said they'd be available to the public shortly (weeks not month's as he put it). So stand by for updates. I guess you could start placing order's at this point.............

Fatboy

Thanks for the heads up.  Have checked their website once ever few weeks but no notice of new pieces there yet.  Glad to know we're that much closer.  

So Zippers will have their cams and other parts released, Hawg Wired their new speakers; might be an expensive spring  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2006, 11:44:00 PM »

Allright fellas.....what's the poop.   My bro PC needs his scoot back (and quite frankly...I'd like it the hell out of my garage........I got some other things to do to it in the mean tme,  but what's the best bang for buck),  My new lift is coming soon (I hope),  that means only 3 bikes at a time.......(I like threesomes.......YIPEE!!!!!)  anyway,  good info on the tunes,    but is this Harg-Wired stuff really that good...??????   A little help????? [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=cherry.gif]
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2006, 11:46:37 PM »

Allright fellas.....what's the poop.   My bro PC needs his scoot back (and quite frankly...I'd like it the hell out of my garage........I got some other things to do to it in the mean tme,  but what's the best bang for buck),  My new lift is coming soon (I hope),  that means only 3 bikes at a time.......(I like threesomes.......YIPEE!!!!!)  anyway,  good info on the tunes,    but is this Harg-Wired stuff really that good...??????   A little help????? [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=cherry.gif]

Got the Hawg-Wired amps and speakers on my SEEG and with a Thunderheader I have the volume about 2/3 - 3/4 and can hear it clearly at 85 MPH.  My vote is yes, it's worth it.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 24 queries.