Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery Charger/Heated clothing adapter  (Read 5287 times)

hogasm

Battery Charger/Heated clothing adapter
« on: January 08, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »

Have battery adapter 98536-04V that comes with heated clothing
http://www.stpaulharley.com/catalog/riding-gear-and-accessories/heated-gear-1/harley-davidson-connecting-harness-98536-04v.html

Want to hook up to a battery charger

Would you use http://www.powerlet.com/product/coax-male-to-sae-cable/54

or harley 98543-04V 
or harley 98544-04V       all three found here..http://store.barnettharley.com/index.php/catalog/category/view/s/women-heated-gear/id/132/?limit=39
or harley 98545-04V

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Battery Charger/Heated clothing adapter
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:17:49 AM »

Just looking at those three different HD part numbers have no clue what the difference is between them.  Looks to be the same stock photo for the catalog used for all three parts.  May be that without a meter on them can't know what (if any) difference there really is.

Just to be safe I'd get the Powerlet adapter.  It's for sure what you need for the task described.  The others may or may not be.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:45:11 PM »

Have battery adapter 98536-04V that comes with heated clothing
http://www.stpaulharley.com/catalog/riding-gear-and-accessories/heated-gear-1/harley-davidson-connecting-harness-98536-04v.html

Want to hook up to a battery charger

Would you use http://www.powerlet.com/product/coax-male-to-sae-cable/54

or harley 98543-04V 
or harley 98544-04V       all three found here..http://store.barnettharley.com/index.php/catalog/category/view/s/women-heated-gear/id/132/?limit=39
or harley 98545-04V

I use this cable http://www.powerlet.com/product/battery-tender-yuasa-charging-cable/261 and the female BMW socket located in my touring trunk. I also swapped out the female cig lighter adapter on the fairing and added one on seat pod with a BMW style adapter. The BMW sockets are much better, they lock in. Using the linked adapter above will allow you to use the sockets for charging. Do a goggle search for BMW style sockets and you'll find a ton of selections. I'll post a few pictures of my set up preceding   :2vrolijk_21:

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Ride It Like You Are Retired

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:30:09 AM »

Got a little stir crazy yesterday so I decided to take the long harness 98537-04V that comes with the gloves, and cut up the adapter to make my own.

I used the wire harness that came with the battery charger that had the two alligator clips. I cut the ends off that harness and the one that came with the gloves. Soldered them up and made my own.

I didn't see where I would use the gloves by themselves without having the jacket liner on. It also made the harness about 3' long instead of 6". This allowed me to keep the chargers farther away from the bike on a shelf instead of just lying on the floor.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »

Got a little stir crazy yesterday

Only yesterday ::) ?

hogasm

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:09:45 AM »

Only yesterday ::) ?

Been Deer hunting for the last month so after cleaning everything up it only took 12 hours to start :huepfenlol2:

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »

i have four photos to post showing my BMW style setup. Cant figure out how to merge all photos into one file to post here... Is this something left for Photo Shop??? Which i have,, And cant figure how to use this $600 software   :confused5:

hogasm

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:56:25 PM »

Just do them one at a time

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 11:44:49 PM »

Lets try this --- Spent a good afternoon messing with photo shop   :nixweiss: few duplicates but i think you see the idea..

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:46:20 PM by cvobiker »

hogasm

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 07:24:38 AM »

Lets try this --- Spent a good afternoon messing with photo shop   :nixweiss: few duplicates but i think you see the idea..

Nice and clean installations

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:33:51 AM »

The BMW outlets in the trunk and left speaker pod are wired directly to battery. I also beefed up the wire for the fairing mounted socket. I have my battery charge cable set up with a male BMW socket and charge the battery from one of the three sockets, and power heated clothing from each as well. Very handy  :2vrolijk_21: one of the trunk photos shows a standard cig adapter I use to charge cell phone etc.....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:38:47 AM by cvobiker »

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »

The BMW outlets in the trunk and left speaker pod are wired directly to battery. I also beefed up the wire for the fairing mounted socket. I have my battery charge cable set up with a male BMW socket and charge the battery from one of the three sockets, and power heated clothing from each as well. Very handy  :2vrolijk_21: one of the trunk photos shows a standard cig adapter I use to charge cell phone etc.....

Very nice installations!  8)

It seems odd that the MoCo can't come up with something similarly clean. Instead all they offer us is a dangly little wire thingy that flops against the bike and looks like poo!  :soapbox:

Guess I'll hafta sidle on down to my local BMW dealership. Hmmm, maybe I'll check out their bikes while I'm down there...  ::)
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.