Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Stereo problem on a 2000 screaming eagle road glide  (Read 4155 times)

John Tumalty

Stereo problem on a 2000 screaming eagle road glide
« on: September 29, 2012, 08:32:43 PM »

Stereo problem on a 2000 screaming eagle road glide .When you start the bike cold, it plays fine. Hog tunes or stock speakers make no difference. After the bike has been ridden 10-15 min the radio problems begin to appear. I notice it's more on the lower volumes than the high volume.The radio sound starts breaking up very slightly and then it gets worse with the speakers cutting in an out. I believe it is related to turning the throttle, and everything that happens electrically when you do. I noticed that when you pull in the clutch and let the rpms drop to idle speed the Radio returns to normal, sound was fine. Throttle up and distortion reappears... coast again in neutral sound is fine. Also if you pull up to a light, and get to idle, the radio again is fine. Shut the bike and put on accessory. Perfect... No distortion. Start up again, and problem reappears. Let bike cool down, or ride the following day, and pattern is exactly the same. I put on a new stator and voltage regulator checked grounds. When it is happening i have checked the voltage its 14.4 ran it up to 4000 rpms it went to 14.5 i also turned off the avc from stock setting of 2 to 0 that didn't help. if I unplug the stator and start it up it works fine plug it back in same problem i have ran a ground wire from the radio case to the - on the battery that didn't help somebody please help I am going crazy and am afraid to ride the bike and cause other problems.
People say change plugs and wires might be bad and others say the automatic volume control may be going bad it is too costly to just keep changing parts has anyone had this problem and found a cause or can help me figure this out

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Stereo problem on a 2000 screaming eagle road glide
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:57:02 PM »

Maybe.  Several years ago on an 01 model bike had behavior somewhat similar to yours.  Was a friends bike but I was the guy helping him work on it.

The guy who owned the bike guessed like you did and wanted to change charging system parts.  We could check those on the bike though and all checked fine.  So I talked him out of replacing them.  

Ended up making a first stab at the problem by changing the coil.  Changed wires at the same time.  On this bike that fixed it.  Watch eBay and good used coils show up occasionally.  Often for cheap.  So it could be a cheap guess if you want to.  Given the age of the bike it's a good idea to give it a set of plug wires anyway.  They really are inexpensive and will deteriorate with time even if the bike doesn't have a lot of miles.  Wires breaking down will usually manifest as cutting out under a load.  But that's not the only way they can act up.

Good luck.

John Tumalty

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 11:40:14 PM »

thanks for the info i just bought plugs and wires today going to put on sunday and hope it stops raining so i can see if it will fix my problem

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 12:25:23 AM »

thanks for the info i just bought plugs and wires today going to put on sunday and hope it stops raining so i can see if it will fix my problem

Good luck.  One thought to go forward with.  If anyone you know has an old coil it'd be nice to get both coil and wires while the tank is raised.  It's not that it's that big a deal to lift the tank a second time to get at the coil if need be.  Just nice not to have to do it twice if you don't have to.

I think I've got a spare coil, maybe even two.  I'll check tomorrow.  If you want to wait a few days for something to show up in the mail would be glad to send you something to guinea pig with if I've got it.

John Tumalty

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:10:27 PM »

tryed plugs and screaming eagel wires 10 mill still have the problem was worth a shot they needed to be done anyway

John Tumalty

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »

im not sure i am using the private message right i sent you my address let me know if you got it and thanks again for your help

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »

im not sure i am using the private message right i sent you my address let me know if you got it and thanks again for your help

Got it.  Coil will mail right away.

John Tumalty

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:20:37 PM »

om another fourm they are saying i got the wrong ohm speakers for my bike i need to have 8 ohms for mine that is what my system can handle so i have to ohm out my speakers will do after work on friday shouldn't be much lower than 7 ohms if it is i need new speakers will let you know what i find

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:19:48 PM »

om another fourm they are saying i got the wrong ohm speakers for my bike i need to have 8 ohms for mine that is what my system can handle so i have to ohm out my speakers will do after work on friday shouldn't be much lower than 7 ohms if it is i need new speakers will let you know what i find

1998-2005 bikes should have 8 ohm speakers if you're still using the stock radio.  The coil left in today's mail.

John Tumalty

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »

i have a question maybe you can answer i have a 8 ohm system if you have 8 ohm speakers it should ohm out at 7.25 anything less they are no good. i have hog tune speakers model 914.2 they are sutiable for 4-8 ohms nominal at 5.75 they ohm out at 5.6 how can they work for a 8 ohm system when they ohm out at 5.6 and any thing i read says if its lower that 7.2 you need new speakers

John Tumalty

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »

I had a stereo guy tell me to unhook the antenna and try that with only the ground I put on and he also said take the radio out of the bike but leave it hooked up to see if it will still do it he said the antenna might be grounding out to the frame he also said to try a new battery the old one might be bad and not filtering the current from the voltage regulator all things to check I will do them one at a time when I can will try my friends battery first will let you know what happens

John Tumalty

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 06:50:43 PM »

the problem is fixed i put in a new battery and all is fine now the stereo guy was right i cant believe that fixed it

John Tumalty

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »

hey twolanerider when the coil show up i will send it back thanks for your help

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »

Just refuse the package or mark it return to addressee.  That way you'll not be out the postage for return home.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 08:32:47 PM »

I shoulda done that with the tacos. :-\

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 08:34:21 PM »

I shoulda done that with the tacos. :-\

Doesn't work for HAZMAT :-X .

John Tumalty

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »

hey twolanerider your coil was sent back on friday thanks for your help

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 11:22:04 AM »

hey twolanerider your coil was sent back on friday thanks for your help

Thanks John.  Just glad you got it sorted.

harley5227

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »

Hi John.  Im the guy from Colorado with the same problem on my 2000 SE Road Glide from the HD Forum.  I have changed the battery and it did nothing. 
Is that all you had to do?  Im totally baffled.

Mwalker4065

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ME

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 07:42:40 AM »

I have an 03 ultra classic. We have an aftermarket radio & recently installed hog tunes. Since installing hog tunes my radio sound cut out when applied the throttle and came back on when pulled the front brake. The radio itself didn't cutout. I could change the Channel's & volume, just didn't have sound. I took it to a stereo installation person & he couldn't figure it out. He found loose wire & thought it was solved. Within 1 day it cutout. Took it back. He thought my current radio was junk so he installed a new radio but within 10miles of leaving his shop it happened again. I researched online for weeks. So glad I found this feed it solved my problem. It was the BATTERY. My husband was skeptical but once we replaced the battery we had no more issues. My voltage meter was reading the same, no changes when applying throttle or brake. This is the most expensive radio I have ever bought! Had it installed in Sturgis. That guy wired my hand controls wrong. I paid for diagnostics to fix his mistakes as well as diagnostics to figure out this issue & paid for new radio I didn't need.
Edit: It is a plug and play however it is a swi-rc which required programming for hand controls to work correctly. So it was the programming that the sturgis guy did not do correctly. The new guy re programmed hand controls for me. As far as the wiring for the hogtunes, he did follow the wires and he corrected those as well. He thought radio was junk because he had never come across this issue of when applying the throttle the radio cut out so he thought problem with my radio. When that didnt work his next step was to contact hogtunes but i read online about replacing the battery & thats what i did & it worked. Neither of us understand why it fixed it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:57:08 PM by Mwalker4065 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 12:03:49 PM »

I have an 03 ultra classic. We have an aftermarket radio & recently installed hog tunes. Since installing hog tunes my radio sound cut out when applied the throttle and came back on when pulled the front brake. The radio itself didn't cutout. I could change the Channel's & volume, just didn't have sound. I took it to a stereo installation person & he couldn't figure it out. He found loose wire & thought it was solved. Within 1 day it cutout. Took it back. He thought my current radio was junk so he installed a new radio but within 10miles of leaving his shop it happened again. I researched online for weeks. So glad I found this feed it solved my problem. It was the BATTERY. My husband was skeptical but once we replaced the battery we had no more issues. My voltage meter was reading the same, no changes when applying throttle or brake. This is the most expensive radio I have ever bought! Had it installed in Sturgis. That guy wired my hand controls wrong. I paid for diagnostics to fix his mistakes as well as diagnostics to figure out this issue & paid for new radio I didn't need.

Most important thing of course is that the problems are sorted.  So much there that just doesn't pass the sniff test though.  "Wiring" the hand controls is a plug and play module.  With the electronics in that module there would be no functional hand controls on an aftermarket head unless it's an older bike.  So it sounds like you may have been being led significantly astray from moment one.  After that you just had guys chasing each others tails (one following another's failed work is always expensive and often ineffective) and (apparently) never really bothering to actually trace problems from stem to stern.  Only thing that matters, and the only thing that's good, about your efforts is that it's sorted out now.  Ride on and enjoy.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.