Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Garmin, are you f***ing kidding me?  (Read 5341 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Garmin, are you f***ing kidding me?
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:56:36 PM »

I have started to get more problems using MapSource lately.  Sometimes when compiling a route I get the message that 'MapSource has encountered a problem and must shut down.'  So I decided to bite the bullet and start using BaseCamp.  I was pleasantly surprised to see many improvements in BaseCamp since I first tried it several years ago.  In fact I was starting to like it quite a bit - well that is until I actually uploaded a route to my RT Zumo 660 and tried to run it.  Well here are excerpts from an email I sent to a Garmin support rep (along with the route) about the problems:

"This route was sent to my Road Tech Zumo 660 s/n 1PZ026296.  Both the device and the computer have the map set City Navigator North America 2015.1 and I have verified using Garmin Exchange that my device software is up to date.  BaseCamp is version 4.3.3.  Software version of the device is 5.10.  I run Windows 8.1 on my computer.

The problem I encountered on this route and a previous route using BaseCamp is that the device goes into a spontaneous recalculation even though I have not deviated from the route and I have ‘prompted recalc’ enabled.  Then I get the message ‘cannot calculate route – no roads near destination.’  The route is then lost from the device current memory and I must go back and reselect it.

This happened well over 24 times during this route – I lost count.  It even happened at gas stops!  I tell the device to stay on under battery power when I make a gas stop.  On several occasions just sitting there it would go into spontaneous recalculation and get the error message described above.

I have ‘googled’ this problem and found several threads going back as far as 2011 – some even on your Garmin Forum and the consensus is that it is a BaseCamp problem but I have found no resolution.  I am new to BaseCamp and this has happened on the above route and another route a couple weeks ago.  These two routes were the first I have created using BaseCamp and transferred to my device.

I do not think it is a device problem as the route from a couple weeks ago produced the same error message at the same time on a fellow rider’s Road Tech Zumo 660 – he was running my route that I had emailed him.

Hoping someone can find and correct whatever the issue is that is causing this problem."

Now this is the reply I received from him today:

"Hello Jerry,
Our helpdesk team came back to me saying that the zumo 660 and 665 are not actually compatible with Basecamp. They said that while it may work sometimes, it has been known to cause errors, and for now Map Source is actually what needs to be used with these devices. Sorry about the mix up. Please feel free to call 1-855-607-2536 if you have further questions."

Well I did call back but just got the same old runaround.  WTF. :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Garmin, are you f***ing kidding me?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:02:58 PM »

:zwtf: They saying a program (Mapsource) that they know longer support/provide updates for is the correct program to use for your GPS?? Did the MoCo buy Garmin why nobody was looking!!! :sauer005:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »

:zwtf: They saying a program (Mapsource) that they know longer support/provide updates for is the correct program to use for your GPS?? Did the MoCo buy Garmin why nobody was looking!!! :sauer005:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Exactly!  That is what I told the rep.  Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to correct this problem and all the front line reps will do is make note and forward it on - to the trash can I suspect.

IBA member # 45520

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »

- to the trash can I suspect.

Which is where ALL the garmins need to go- to the trash can!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:53:45 PM »

Another example of a company that made a big name for itself, such that people automatically refer to GPS devices as "Garmins" kind of like facial tissue is always referred to as "Kleenex", and then got fat dumb and happy living on the old reputation.  There are plenty of others out there these days with the same lack of customer support, up to and including the always welcome response, that's just the way it is and we have no plans to change it (even though we've received a thousand complaints and the online forums are full of negative comments).  Recently went through that with Samsung on a TV glitch that others have been complaining about for at least the past five years and that could be easily fixed with a software patch added to their next software update for the TV's.

I think Fired00d hit on the problem.  Companies have observed how Harley can blow off customers on a regular basis and still make record profits, and they have decided to follow suit.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »

Still like my fold out map.  Use the gps to see what roads are coming up.   Just some times I need to learn how to fold the darn thing back up.   

Todd.
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »

I don't want to revert to paper maps.  I am too 'spoiled' by pre-planning routes and then relying on my gps once underway.  MapSource has worked for me for many years even though it certainly does have its idiosyncrasies for sure!

Rode over 800 miles to Savannah, GA, where I am now and did not use the interstates at all.  That means many, many turns and looking for road signs, etc.  It is SO much easier using the gps so I guess I'll have to stick with MapSource and hope it doesn't flame out on me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:34:42 PM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 05:48:41 PM »

I've been using the Garmin Basecamp with the supplied 660 without issue. In fact just planned next weeks trip group trip to Townsend and back. Guess I'll see just how well that works, but so far its' been great for me.  Go figure.  :nixweiss:
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »

I the program Tyre. Hasn't messed up yet. Add as many waypoints as you like.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 06:16:47 PM »

I the program Tyre. Hasn't messed up yet. Add as many waypoints as you like.

I think that is one of the problems - not enough waypoints in the route.  I'm no expert but with multiple waypoints the route calculation is just one waypoint to the next.  The routes that have blown up on me had zero or only one waypoint.  That is what I was liking about BaseCamp.  In activity preferences I could select to avoid interstates then when I let BaseCamp calculate the 450 mile route that I had problems with I only had to insert one waypoint to get it to run the way I wanted - on the computer that is.  I think that when it is loaded on the device and the device has to contend with complicated routes that is when it blows up - at least that is my thinking based on  threads I found from others with the problem.  So maybe I'll start adding waypoints just to see if that helps.

IBA member # 45520

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »

Tyre works better than anything else I have used. You can easily force it to go the way you want by adding waypoints. I have found it easier to break my routes down into daily rides and make each day a seperate map. I always know where the nightly stop will be.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »

I'd love to try tyre but thats a nasty IBM proggie and it doesn't work for us Apple types.   ::)

I believe it must be the waypoints because I rarely don't have a few just as guides to keep on a particular track. I do use the don't notify option on those that are just guides and not actual turn or stop locations.

Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »

Hi Ultrafxr,
  I'm on day 28 of our road trip and it has worked great on both Ali's 660 and my 665.  Now I'm not saying I like basecamp, I don't, but having a "Mac" I pretty much had to use it as I didn't want to load a windows mirroring program on my new computer.  I did have the issue you described once on our trip to Florida this winter, but I can't remember what I did.  I'm with you, I love GPS but I hate Garmin.  very frustrating!  maybe the 2015 Infotainment sys with be better?!

FLH91

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 12:28:36 PM »

I never cared for basecamp. Using Mapsource with my older Garmin did require that the map versions be exactly the same version number.
What I had to do in the past was to upgrade the computer and the GPS separately.

Now that I have a Macbook pro I tried switching to BaseCamp. From my previous encounter there seems to be significant changes and it actually works pretty good for my antique GPS.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »

Jerry:

I was speaking with Garmin about a month ago about an update issue.  While waiting on another tech to verify a problem I was speaking with the rep on the phone, I mentioned how lots of folks that use these things a lot consider Basecamp to be "the work of the Devil". 

She laughed because it was not the first time that opinion had been expressed. 

Glad to read that FLH91 is still alive Up North.

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »

Hi Chaos901, Ultrafxr,
  Made it back home last night, what a trip! British Columbia is beautiful and of coarse Alaska too!.  Only bike issues we had was the O2 sensor and then some tranny and primary bearings on the main shaft on Ali's bike.
  Trev Deely's in Vancouver was great to work with.  They had to keep her bike and have parts flown in so they gave her a rental at the price the ESP (Extended Service Plan) would reimburse.  Then because her bike was in the shop, our lodging was also paid for while we were at the HOG rally up there….
  And getting both bikes detailed (3 hrs for each bike) after being on some gravel roads in Alaska was priceless!
Dave

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »

Trev Deely's in Vancouver was great to work with. 

that's gotta be the first time i have ever heard anyone say that.  not that i have any first hand experience.  glad to hear they took care of you, and that you made it home safe with a duffel bag full of memories (hopefully some pics too :D)
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »

I was able to get in touch with one of the Garmin application developers via email.  He has opened a case about this problem.  So I am very, very cautiously somewhat optimistic that maybe perhaps something will get done.  We'll see. 

IBA member # 45520
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.