Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some ideas on what's causing this problem  (Read 2650 times)

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

Need some ideas on what's causing this problem
« on: October 21, 2009, 03:24:32 PM »

I went on a trip last week, pouring rain going and coming.  Got home and cleaned her up real good, then the problem starts.  When I start it up, it runs fine, idling about 1000 - 1200 rpm.  As it warms up the rpm's slowly start to climb.  At one point it got to 3k before I shut it down.  I thought it might have been all the water, but I have pulled every plug and connector I can think of, and no moisture. Anybody got any ideas.  It's a stock 103 except for pipes, A/C and Power Commander.
Hair of the Dog

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
Re: Need some ideas on what's causing this problem
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 03:29:14 PM »

It sounds like an intake leak or a computer problem.

Opee
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:13:40 PM »

Disconnect the PC and see if the problem goes away.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:03:59 PM »

Disconnect the PC and see if the problem goes away.

:2vrolijk_21:

Unfortunately the Power Commander connection to the original ECM connector on the wire harness can collect moisture, especially when it's tucked under the battery tray as per the directions.  If this is found to be the problem, blow out all the pins and sockets in the connectors until dry, then use a liberal amount of dielectric grease when reconnecting.   

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:10:23 PM »

Regardless of the PC or not, the motor has to have air to run. I'm not sure, but looking at your bike listed, I'm guessing you have throttle cables.

The ECM or PC can increase your fuel, but without the butterfly opening up, more fuel will only make it richer and would probably flood out and stall.

I'm leaning towards an air leak of some type.

I'm not sure if the water ride is the cause or a coincidence. I'd take off the air cleaner and grab the throttle body and try to wiggle it around.

We used to check for vacuum leaks on car with a small hose connected to a hand held propane torch and use the end of the hose to move the propane gas around all the fittings. If you have a vacuum leak the motor will pick up rpms when you hit the vacuum leak. Carb cleaner sprayed around works too, but I would not do that on a bike.

Maybe someone else has had this problem and can add to the diagnosis.

Good luck and let us know what you find as the culprit.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 11:12:01 PM by Dan_Lockwood »
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:16:34 AM »

I had the same issue on my 2007 SEUC...the throttle butterfly valve was sticking open...this is layman's terms.  Dealer replaced the throttle body off the air cleaner and all was well!!

napalm
napalm

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 10:01:54 AM »

Thanks for all the help. grc was the winner.  Of all the connections I looked at, I forgot about the ecm connectors {DUH}.  Open them up and water poured out.  Dried them out, put the dielectric grease on and she runs like new again.  :pepper: :pepper:
Hair of the Dog

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 05:31:12 PM »

Jerry wins alot around here!

CVOSE

• FL

• CVO1: VRSCSE2
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 05:49:38 PM »

Dan_Lockwood wrote: "I'd take off the air cleaner and grab the throttle body and try to wiggle it around. "

If you want an intake leak, this is one way to generate it. To check if there is a leak, spray brake cleaner over the gaskets. When the rpm's change you have a leak.

NEVER use any kind of gas. This can lead to a burnt down motorbike!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »

Dan_Lockwood wrote: "I'd take off the air cleaner and grab the throttle body and try to wiggle it around. "

If you want an intake leak, this is one way to generate it. To check if there is a leak, spray brake cleaner over the gaskets. When the rpm's change you have a leak.

NEVER use any kind of gas. This can lead to a burnt down motorbike!

The best way to check for a leak, and it's also the one recommended by H-D as well as various auto companies, is the propane method.  You need a small orifice tube, which can be homemade like the one in the H-D shop manuals, or I personally prefer to use a small torch that comes with a small propane or mapp gas welding/brazing kit you can find at varous home centers like Menards, Home Depot, etc.  I personally like to avoid the brake cleaner, carb cleaner, or other powerful cleaners.  Too easy to spray it where you don't want it, like on paint or other parts that could be damaged, or parts like eyeballs if you don't wear eye protection.  To each his own.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 04:57:18 PM »

The best way to check for a leak, and it's also the one recommended by H-D as well as various auto companies, is the propane method.  You need a small orifice tube, which can be homemade like the one in the H-D shop manuals, or I personally prefer to use a small torch that comes with a small propane or mapp gas welding/brazing kit you can find at varous home centers like Menards, Home Depot, etc.  I personally like to avoid the brake cleaner, carb cleaner, or other powerful cleaners.  Too easy to spray it where you don't want it, like on paint or other parts that could be damaged, or parts like eyeballs if you don't wear eye protection.  To each his own.

Jerry
Always used WD40 on the trucks and older bikes to check for leaks. Never wanted to use it on our newer bikes. Nice alternative. The small propane tanks with the self ignighters work well for blowing pesky gophers from their holes also   :)

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.