Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: SERK Dyno Runs-Please post SERK Dyno Charts Here  (Read 60537 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: SERK Dyno Runs-Please post SERK Dyno Charts Here
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2008, 08:56:59 PM »

While in Sturgis during the rally, I stopped by the Top 50 event location and there was a Dyno guy there, Dynojet Research, Cycle Solutions, Hartford, IN.

He was just finishing up with a tune and had a break and was able to work me right in.

I have installed the following: V&H Dresser Dual, V&H Oval mufflers, SE AC, PCM III.

I knew up front that the V&H system was not as much HP oriented as say the stepped Rinehart True Duals, but I really liked the sound of the V&H setup better.  I got one of the very first PCM III's and there was only one map so far at the time for a similar setup as mine.  I downloaded the map and got my '08 SERK up and running.

The SERK ran great with just a little bit of popping on decel and other than that seemed to run pretty darn good.  I notice that my mileage was a bit low from what I thought I should be getting.

So the dyno sheet attached here had the base line of my original install of the new exhaust, AC and PCM III with the one map from the PCM website.  I never had the bike dyno'd by the dealer.

I guess I was a bit disappointed at the numbers, but the bike runs better now and seems to be smoother too.  I expected that I'd be in the mid 90's for hp and a bit higher on the torque, but each motor and dyno is different.  Judging my base line to the new map, I'd say that I got my money's worth.  I also picked up about 6 mpg over the orginal map.  He raised my rev limiter to 6,200 rpms.

Overall I gained a good solid 9 hp and my torque level went up across the entire range and made a seat of the pants improvement.  The tuner said that on these 110" motors the cams are a big limiting factor and he said that the new Rinehart stepped header pipes add lots of torque and will build better HP as well.  He said that I might pick up another 4 to 5 HP with the new stepped pipes and their mufflers.

I hope this is high enough resolution.  When I upload this to my Picture Trail site, it automatically resizes the file to 536 x 400.  How do I upload my sheet to the CVO forum to retain the higher resolution I have on my computer?  Most of the pictures I see attached have the link below the picture or you can click on the picture to view full size.  On my attachments I can't do that.  So I'm missing something somewhere. 

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2008, 09:02:07 PM »

You don't see the "Browse" button below the text box where you type your reply?  Click that, find your file and attach to your post. :2vrolijk_21:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2008, 12:36:33 AM »

You don't see the "Browse" button below the text box where you type your reply?  Click that, find your file and attach to your post. :2vrolijk_21:

I'll try that now.

Thanks.

And it worked great, I'll remember this for the future.

Thanks again...

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

CR

« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2008, 02:44:54 AM »

Bone stock 2008 CVO (international) with XIED's. I want to install a SEAC but no slip-ons (do not like the excessive noise), are there any dyno sheets out there with this set-up? I hope to get around 90hp with SEAC only, is this possible?

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2008, 05:14:12 PM »

Bone stock 2008 CVO (international) with XIED's. I want to install a SEAC but no slip-ons (do not like the excessive noise), are there any dyno sheets out there with this set-up? I hope to get around 90hp with SEAC only, is this possible?

CR, each bike is different and as you can see from my dyno sheet just above yours, with the V&H duals and oval mufflers along with the SEAC and PCM III, I didn't break 90 hp.

Some here have the same mods but with different exhaust and have come close to 100 hp.  So I really think it's a crap shoot on what you'll get.  I would be surprised that the AC alone will net you the 10 hp you're looking for.

Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

MobileAGBell

• CVO1: 2013 110th Anniv SE Road King
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2008, 09:34:46 AM »

My SERK is stock except for a SE Heavy Breather a/c.

MobileAGBell

« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »

Sorry, here's the opened jpeg.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »

Those are some good numbers for just a SERT and SE AC.  I can't help but think that my V&H exhuast system wouldn't be better than a stock system, so maybe the tuner was way off or my bike is just a dog bike, and not a Big Dog...

Thanks for sharing your sheet.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2008, 09:14:42 PM »

Dan,
I've used cycle solutions a couple times...chris does an ok job with the fuel, but doesn't adjust timing....there may be a little more power in your motor by having someone build a custom timing map...also chris has a 250i dyno which reads lower numbers than some of the older models...I had him do a horsepower run once and it read 5hp less than another dyno that the bike was tuned with
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »

Dan,
I've used cycle solutions a couple times...Chris does an OK job with the fuel, but doesn't adjust timing....there may be a little more power in your motor by having someone build a custom timing map...also Chris has a 250i dyno which reads lower numbers than some of the older models...I had him do a horsepower run once and it read 5hp less than another dyno that the bike was tuned with

Skyhook, thanks for the reply.

As many dyno's as there are, there will probably be many different hp readings.  Temp and humidity and the correction factor all add up.

When I had my '57 392 blow hemi dyno'd, the builder asked if I wanted the Hot Rod Mag readings or the true adjusted readings.  I agreed that the real numbers are what I really want.  We were gaining about 10 hp every 100 rpms and it was still climbing fast when he shut it down at 6,000 rpms.  I had stock rods in it, but they were shot peened for strength.  He recommended that we stop at 6,000 and I agreed.  We had hit my number that I was hoping for anyway.  654 crank hp.  I had a few buddies with me that day we dyno'd it and a couple of them ran out of the control room when the motor was going up fast in rpms, they thought it was about to blow.

Speaking of rpms, when they raised the rev limit up 6,200 rpms and then did the pulls, it sounded like the old SERK would just fly apart right then and there, but obviously it didn't...

I guess the bottom line is that I like what I've got and I know the exhaust is NOT the best available for performance, but I do like the sound of the V&H ovals over the Rineharts.  So as long as it runs fine and now it doesn't even do the backfiring when I decel, which is a nice part of the actual tuning.

Thanks again.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

CR

« Reply #190 on: August 20, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »

@mobileagbell
That is exactly what I am looking for! I read somewhere (can't remember where) about a stage I tune AC and slip ons where all the increase in power was solely through the AC, adding the slip-ons did not increase power at all. Do you use some kind of fuel system SERT or XIED's? According to the techs from S&S that is not even necessary with their quick-tune which is in effect a kind of stage I mod.

CR

« Reply #191 on: August 20, 2008, 03:38:37 PM »

@mobilagbell
I take it from the small print on your dyno sheet and the fact that the rpms go to 6000 that you used SERT. Did you use a canned map or had the bike extensively dynoed. Was the ignition-timing altered or did they only do the fueling? What is the main difference in daily driving?

MobileAGBell

« Reply #192 on: August 20, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »

After I got through the break-in period on my SERK and opened the throttle a bit when entering the freeway, there was a "waahhh" sound from the air cleaner that, to me, sounded like the motor was gasping for air. I thought that replacing the air cleaner might help.

I liked the looks of the SE Heavy Breather air cleaner and decided to install it. And I ordered a (then) new Race Tuner Pro. The mechanic/tuner at my dealer told me that he would develop a map for my bike. He convinced me that I would be able to feel the difference when he finished. He also told me that I might want to think about opening up the exhaust a bit with some SE mufflers. I decided against the mufflers at the time and let him work his magic.

When I picked up the bike he told me that the bike ran well. I left the dealer, rode around a bit to warm it up and to make sure nothing was wrong. It seemed to run smoother and had a bit more zip. I headed for the freeway entrance ramp, getting up to about 3000 RPM, and whacked the throttle. I wasn't prepared for the results. The front end of the bike came up (not off the ground), pushed me into the backrest and simply took off. It was a completely different bike. Not a race bike but something much different than what I started with.

A week ago I installed a pair of SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers. I can't really tell if they improved the performance and my tuner told me another dyno wasn't needed for now. But the big grin that started with the air cleaner, the Race Tuner Pro and the custom map is now even wider.

MobileAGBell

« Reply #193 on: August 20, 2008, 04:28:03 PM »

@mobilagbell
I take it from the small print on your dyno sheet and the fact that the rpms go to 6000 that you used SERT. Did you use a canned map or had the bike extensively dynoed. Was the ignition-timing altered or did they only do the fueling? What is the main difference in daily driving?
I really don't know if the timing was altered on the bike. My guess is that there was little, if any, timing changes made. Besides the very noticeable increase in torque at various RPM levels, the bike runs smoother. There is no exhaust popping during deceleration. I've never accurately measured miles per gallon before or after the changes but I would guess it has been reduced 3-6 miles per gallon. It seems that I need to refuel sooner now. I'm sure one reason for the reduction is my 'twitchy' right hand. Every time I ride now I make it a point to hit the rev limiter at least once. It also seems to run a bit cooler but that may be in my head.

This bike was one of the early production units. I bought it last August; it has an 07/07 manufacture date.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #194 on: August 25, 2008, 06:50:27 AM »

Still no clue on how long it takes to get there

B B
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 25 queries.