Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: `15 CVO Street Glide Transport Tie Downs  (Read 14704 times)

CVOSGJoe

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Re: `15 CVO Street Glide Transport Tie Downs
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »

Update, I have heard back from my machine shop.  They are able powder coat these in black or, a chrome powder coating with clear coat on top to give them a gloss finish (not a chrome mirror finish) but are not able to provide the chrome. They are going to fab a set up for me to verify fitment on my bike as well as I will be taking to my dealer friend and trying on a few other model years as well.  I have asked a chroming facility near me what the cost of doing the plating but honestly I have a feeling between fabrication and chroming, it may be expensive.
I should have some numbers back by end of next week and also I will know about chroming and what they will fit...   Stay Tuned!!!   
'17 CVO Street Glide w/117 kit.. more mods to come
SOLD-'15 CVO Street Glide. H.C. Mercury Mods are: FM 2-1-2 ceramic header, E-Series FM slip-ons, PV-2, 110 tweaked by Fuel Moto, Detachable Tour-Pak, Heated Seat & Grips and the list goes on....

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2017, 01:49:57 PM »

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:52:39 PM by CVOStreetglide »

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2017, 08:18:46 PM »

Bought a set of the Yelvington rear tie-down brackets today from Eastern, got an email this morning from them. I walked thru the Yelvington Tent last sunday at Gibtown BikeFest but did not notice the tie-downs.
We will see when they get here, only $40 with free shipping and no tax.

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »

Those chrome ones really look great!  Keep us posted on if they'll fit '17's and in chrome if possible.

The one thing I hate when I trailer my bike is tieng down the rear. Just no good place to hook onto that avoids the exhaust if the straps have to stay in close to the bike. If I can spread the straps outwards a good amount, the holes in the frame right behind the rear head offers the best stability and keeps the straps away from teh bike.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »

Bought a set of the Yelvington rear tie-down brackets today from Eastern, got an email this morning from them. I walked thru the Yelvington Tent last sunday at Gibtown BikeFest but did not notice the tie-downs.
We will see when they get here, only $40 with free shipping and no tax.

I am going to try a set also.....$40..why not.

CVOSGJoe

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 12:04:49 PM »

Well Gents... I can share that I have not received the set for trial yet, the vendor has informed me they do not do chrome and the vendor I sent a request to is not interested.  The Black Powder coated will be roughly 55.00 by the time all said and done plus the shipping cost.   

This may be a good alternative.  http://www.easternperformance.com/yelvington-usa-black-rear-tie-down-brackets-for-harley-touring-93-17.html?utm_source=Copy+of+Campaign+Created+2017%2F01%2F20%2C+9%3A04+AM&utm_campaign=New+Email+Template&utm_medium=email

One can not compete with mass production!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:06:57 PM by CVOSGJoe »
SOLD-'15 CVO Street Glide. H.C. Mercury Mods are: FM 2-1-2 ceramic header, E-Series FM slip-ons, PV-2, 110 tweaked by Fuel Moto, Detachable Tour-Pak, Heated Seat & Grips and the list goes on....

CVOSGJoe

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2017, 09:09:35 AM »

Update......
I have been working with my local fab shop and after several attempts he is just capable of getting it right. I have been communicating with Aussie and shared the results, not sure but the shop may just not have the proper tooling to create the same product.

At this moment not sure of the next move. Aussie and I have been discussing some options.
Don't want to promise a product that isn't right, (as I found out locally my guy can't produce) nor something that is truly to expensive. 

I will update shortly when we have a possible soulution that is not cost prohibitive.

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »

Thanks for the update.  As a tool and diemaker that uses CNC mills and lathes every day, I can see the largest hurdle will be to make them at a cost thats makes them a sellable item. I'm waiting to see what you end up with before making a set myself. There isnt much to them. Will take me longer to take measurements and make up a print than to actually cut them out on the CNC and toss them in the press. and send out for plating. Be costly in the end but for a high quality factory look to fit the bike, gotta pay for it and be worth it. The yelvingtons just look too generic for me. Keeps us updated.

CVOSGJoe

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »

Thanks for the update.  As a tool and diemaker that uses CNC mills and lathes every day, I can see the largest hurdle will be to make them at a cost thats makes them a sellable item. I'm waiting to see what you end up with before making a set myself. There isnt much to them. Will take me longer to take measurements and make up a print than to actually cut them out on the CNC and toss them in the press. and send out for plating. Be costly in the end but for a high quality factory look to fit the bike, gotta pay for it and be worth it. The yelvingtons just look too generic for me. Keeps us updated.

Its the bend/fold that my local guy is having issues with...Cutting them is not the issue.  Its a extremely tight tolerance for the bend and he was having issues with distortion.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2017, 08:25:22 PM »

As I posted in the other thread, the black Yelvingtons basically disappear once installed. Cheap, easy to install, I would buy again.
I tied bike down with them just to see. SO much easier than before. Guys from Condor have for years said to tie bike down from the location that the Yelvingtons provides and that was all you needed. Not sure I agree with that but they do secure the rear nicely and quickly.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »

Its the bend/fold that my local guy is having issues with...Cutting them is not the issue.  Its a extremely tight tolerance for the bend and he was having issues with distortion.

Thanks for the update Joe,

us1fountain,
I agree on the high quality factory look, these brackets are made to suit the CVO look and don't stand out as much as the Yelvingtons do plus no catch points.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:11:28 PM by Aussie »

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »

Spent a few hrs at work and cut out a couple tie downs myself.  Like Aussie, I copied the profile of my front HD tie downs for a matched set look. Luckliy the profile was nominal dimensions so it was an easy to copy and program.  The mounts on my '17 may be a bit different than what my '15 was. I recall the '15 just using 1 screw and 1 pin, where as my '17 uses 3)  3/8" -16 and 1) 5/16-18 screw. The 5/16 is a shoulder bolt in the bottom hole, with the 3/8's  holes used for height adjustment. I 'want' to say they are not an exact fit between yrs???  On mine, the wife uses the top location, so I made the mounts just with 2 holes leaving out the 2nd and 4th hole and will  not reuse the shoulder bolt (4th hole location) and instead will use 2) 3/8 bolts.  More solid this way too.
These I made from some scrape 3/16" 304 SS, milled out on the CNC. Bending was a PITA!  Had to really clamp it  solid so it wouldn't roll and distort. The bending is the obstacle if you don't have the right equipement. Our brake proved to be a little lacking. And for just the 1 set, you improvise.  LOL Nevermind the swirl marks, and distorted appearance.  Those are just from a quick pass  over from a scotchbrite pad on die grinder to get a smooth surface. Going to a chrome plater this weekend. $50 min fee for plating.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:00:44 PM by us1fountain »

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2017, 05:24:55 AM »

Spent a few hrs at work and cut out a couple tie downs myself.  Like Aussie, I copied the profile of my front HD tie downs for a matched set look. Luckliy the profile was nominal dimensions so it was an easy to copy and program.  The mounts on my '17 may be a bit different than what my '15 was. I recall the '15 just using 1 screw and 1 pin, where as my '17 uses 3)  3/8" -16 and 1) 5/16-18 screw. The 5/16 is a shoulder bolt in the bottom hole, with the 3/8's  holes used for height adjustment. I 'want' to say they are not an exact fit between yrs???  On mine, the wife uses the top location, so I made the mounts just with 2 holes leaving out the 2nd and 4th hole and will  not reuse the shoulder bolt (4th hole location) and instead will use 2) 3/8 bolts.  More solid this way too.
These I made from some scrape 3/16" 304 SS, milled out on the CNC. Bending was a PITA!  Had to really clamp it  solid so it wouldn't roll and distort. The bending is the obstacle if you don't have the right equipement. Our brake proved to be a little lacking. And for just the 1 set, you improvise.  LOL Nevermind the swirl marks, and distorted appearance.  Those are just from a quick pass  over from a scotchbrite pad on die grinder to get a smooth surface. Going to a chrome plater this weekend. $50 min fee for plating.

Looking good.
Plating can be expensive when it's a 1 off.
Did you try the brackets on and check the clearance to side cover. You may need to bend a little more so tie hook is further away from your side cover. Just a thought also best to have two bolts to aid torsional load on brackets.

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2017, 04:35:27 PM »

Yes, I knew the plating would be alot higher than if done in a batch but I'll only have $50 in these that match my front ones in both style and plating, vs $40 for the black ones that are basic in design. I'd easily payed  5x as much if thats what it took to get them done.  Yep on the 2 bolts. Thus the reasoning I'm not using the shoulder bolts and going with 2 vs 1  3/8" bolt. Good and solid.  Only drawback is the right side. The exhaust is still in the way, cant go straight down to my hold downs on my trailer, so have to angle over to the hold down for the other bike. Left side works like a charm. Don't want straps rubbing on exhaust.

Thanks for your contribution to this topic. Something I kicked around, just never had the motivation until I saw yours. Will post up pics when plated.

CVOSGJoe

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 08:21:58 AM »

Update..
US1,  your findings are exactly what I found yesterday when I tried fitting up a pair to my bike.  Yes they will work but, each case might vary depending on year and such.........
As us1 mentioned about the mounting on a '17 vs previous years, its a bit different.
One being the bottom bolt being a shoulder bolt.  To hard mount this to the frame one needs to utilize the mounting holes above which are 3/8" and in doing so you eliminate the ability to adjust travel up and down as designed for adjustment/passenger comfort.
Two the relocated Cat in the head pipe certainly changes the angle of the actual ratchet strap you would use, as he noted you need to extend your tie down point on trailer floor to opposite side of trailer or your going to ratchet down hard on the exhaust. Not Good

With these two "important findings" it is not going to be easy to come up with a design that will multi fit different years, maintain the features of the current rear footpeg adjustments and ensure they are mounted to prevent damage to exhaust when utilizing the tie downs.

With this I have to share I am not moving forward with getting a run of these units fabricated for forum members.  I did try and actually found a vendor who could, and for a good price, fabricate (black powder coating only) but sadly after yesterday's findings as well as US1's additional input....As they say on Shark Tank  "I am Out"

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.