Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disabling Microphone for AppleCarPlay to work without Sena on BoomBoxGTS  (Read 636 times)

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce

Trawling through HDFORUMS in a post on 15th Feb 2020 (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1252410-19-m8-boom-gts-carplay-hack-22.html) the question of whether the microphone switch off facility had been disabled in the latest BoomBox GTS updates is answered.
This is quoted from the HDFORUMS:
The option to disable the mic is still available in Digital Tech. I had a defective GTS radio that had to be replaced. We first updated the radio to the latest software, including POI updates and then were able to plug it into to Digital Tech to disable the microphone. We did this two days ago.
Whoever is telling you that Harley disabled the option in Digital Tech is not being straight with you. The option to disable the microphone in Digital Tech is found on the Accessories tab of the software and the options are wired, wireless, none, and disabled. All you have to do is set it to disabled. As soon as you plug in your phone, CarPlay pops right up.
UNQUOTE.

Can anyone on CVOHARLEY confirm this as I havent updated the BoomBox nor am i in a position to do so as I am out of the country at the moment.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Re: Disabling Microphone for AppleCarPlay to work without Sena on BoomBoxGTS
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 11:43:41 AM »

Trawling through HDFORUMS in a post on 15th Feb 2020 (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1252410-19-m8-boom-gts-carplay-hack-22.html) the question of whether the microphone switch off facility had been disabled in the latest BoomBox GTS updates is answered.
This is quoted from the HDFORUMS:
The option to disable the mic is still available in Digital Tech. I had a defective GTS radio that had to be replaced. We first updated the radio to the latest software, including POI updates and then were able to plug it into to Digital Tech to disable the microphone. We did this two days ago.
Whoever is telling you that Harley disabled the option in Digital Tech is not being straight with you. The option to disable the microphone in Digital Tech is found on the Accessories tab of the software and the options are wired, wireless, none, and disabled. All you have to do is set it to disabled. As soon as you plug in your phone, CarPlay pops right up.
UNQUOTE.

Can anyone on CVOHARLEY confirm this as I havent updated the BoomBox nor am i in a position to do so as I am out of the country at the moment.

On a somewhat related question.
I assume that if you set the microphone option to "NONE" or "DISABLED" so you can use carplay without a headset, then, if you did plug in a headset the microphone would be inoperative.... ie, unable to talk on phone or use voice commands.  I think this is obvious but with HD you never know.

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 06:03:27 PM »

Correct. The microphone would be inoperative. I vouch for that as that is exactly the way I’m set up on my ride. You’d have to get the workshop to re-enable the microphone in the radio settings and resume using the Sena Bluetooth transmitter.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 06:49:16 PM »

On a somewhat related question.
I assume that if you set the microphone option to "NONE" or "DISABLED" so you can use carplay without a headset, then, if you did plug in a headset the microphone would be inoperative.... ie, unable to talk on phone or use voice commands.  I think this is obvious but with HD you never know.

Jim, I'm pretty sure I can talk on the phone, after I had the mic disabled for carplay, I will charge the headset up and call you, I will text you before I call, just in case I'm wrong
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 06:50:49 PM by Serdvd6 »
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 10:13:12 PM »

I had a conversation with Mike at Biketronics about retrofitting my 2015 Streetglide, which has a awesome Biketronics stereo system, to the new GTS Boom.

He told me that I didn’t need to replace the USB cable to utilize carplay as stated by Harley.

He also mentioned another work around the carplay issue. If the WHIM is not installed and if you flash the GTS unit as if one was installed, carplay will work when plug into the USB port. Plus, carplay will also work when a headset is plugged in along with all of the voice commands.

He rents a Digital Tech type device that can be used to flash the GTS unit.

This is the route I’m going to take. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 25 queries.