Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Bought an Indian Chieftain  (Read 2702 times)

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
Re: Bought an Indian Chieftain
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 07:06:48 PM »

very nice!! :2vrolijk_21: updates here,please!

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 07:11:23 PM »

I've had an Indian Roadmaster since 2016.  Like most manufacturers, it seems electronics cause most of the complaints, based on forum posts.  The powerplant and tranny will be bullet proof.  Positives: Easy to change oil and service yourself, smooth ride, good handling and suspension, good power (especially with the 116), adjustable windshield, Ride Command spins up fast, and the bike has a low center of gravity - which makes it seem lighter.  Negatives: Adjusting the drive belt can be tedious, seat gives me hot spots, and engine heat can be a bear unless cat removed and/or fuel map changed (however, on the newer models that's been addressed, just not sure how well).  I got an Airhawk cushion and that fixed my seat problem.   

Nice looking bike - enjoy.       

Thanks. As far as the heat being addressed I think maybe the rear cylinder cutoff may be making a difference. I have not had an Indian prior to this one though so I can’t say for sure. It is slightly hotter than the CVO Road King was but it had a 113 kit with a cat-less exhaust. I read where you could not tell any difference in sound with Indians rear cylinder cutoff but I can. Maybe because the 116 kit lopes at idle so much. When it cuts off there is a change in the lope. However it is still less noticeable than it was on the Harley.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 07:26:52 PM »

Very nice!  I hope it is a great bike for you!

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 08:12:14 PM »

Another
Very nice ride you have there, I like the look of those engines.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 10:57:48 PM »

That color looks spectacular

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 06:25:03 AM »

Very Nice !!! Good Luck with the New Ride !!!

Dante
DND

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2019, 06:03:41 PM »

same oil in all 3 holes...  or 1 hole for 3 oils, think im trying ask is motor, tans and primary all in one?  ??? good looking scooter for sure
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

mark

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2019, 06:26:03 PM »

same oil in all 3 holes...  or 1 hole for 3 oils, think im trying ask is motor, tans and primary all in one?  ??? good looking scooter for sure
One hole, one oil (20w40), which lubes engine and tranny. 

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »

very nice!! :2vrolijk_21: updates here,please!

Right at 1000 miles and so far and it has been a pure joy. The 116 even with the stock Indian map has been a blast and consider that the CVO Road King had a GMR Performance 113 kit with custom tune! A lot of the folks on Indians forum have went with a PVCX Tuner to get even better performance but I do not feel I need it. Maybe because I am getting older? :'( The suspension and handling has been exceptional. The Power Band Audio has been great and consider that the Harley had a system by Soundz Customz on it! I am loving the fact that I have been able to remain all completely Indian components so the extended warranty will be completely intact. I hope to not need the warranty but with all of the electronics on these things it sure does help with the peace of mind.

mark

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »

Glad to hear things are working out. 

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2019, 04:29:05 PM »

Looking good Roy!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Cbredesen

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 03:16:28 PM »

Slick ride! :2vrolijk_21:

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2019, 07:28:48 PM »

Congrats!

Just make sure you post up all your service and work and costs. It would be interesting to see which is the more expensive to repair and maintain, HD or Indian.

Love that color!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2019, 07:35:24 PM »

Right at 1000 miles and so far and it has been a pure joy. The 116 even with the stock Indian map has been a blast and consider that the CVO Road King had a GMR Performance 113 kit with custom tune! A lot of the folks on Indians forum have went with a PVCX Tuner to get even better performance but I do not feel I need it. Maybe because I am getting older? :'( The suspension and handling has been exceptional. The Power Band Audio has been great and consider that the Harley had a system by Soundz Customz on it! I am loving the fact that I have been able to remain all completely Indian components so the extended warranty will be completely intact. I hope to not need the warranty but with all of the electronics on these things it sure does help with the peace of mind.
sounding good!! rode the 116 at demo days. it is a beast!

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2019, 09:47:00 AM »

Congrats!

Just make sure you post up all your service and work and costs. It would be interesting to see which is the more expensive to repair and maintain, HD or Indian.

Love that color!

Well I let the dealer do the 500 mile break in service and that was right at 300 dollars. I will be changing my own oil moving forward and the oil change kit is right at 80 dollars. The kit includes everything needed. Oil change interval after breakin is 5000 miles. I will say the maintenance schedule for brake fluid and fork rebuilds is way too aggressive and I will be doing brake fluid every 2 years instead of worrying about mileage. Dealer labor is right at 100 dollars per hour. That is about all I know so far.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.