Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5,000 Mile Service.  (Read 1505 times)

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
5,000 Mile Service.
« on: July 14, 2005, 06:37:28 PM »

I called a couple of weeks ago to get my 05 SEEG in for its 5,000 mile service. I was told that today was the earliest they could get to it. So, as I was riding it last Saturday, it developed a small leak on the rear rocker gasket. When I took it in today, the service manager said " We've had to replace a lot of those lately and I don't think we have any in stock." He said the normal time to get one in is about a week. He will try to get one sooner. Doesn't Harley have a re-order system when the first gasket was taken off the shelf ? Why wait until the last one is used and you need another one? I mean this is their current production engine and the first gasket to come off the top end. Do most of the shops make you wait two weeks for service ? In this computer age , I would think that inventory could be controlled much better. Just venting, I hate bike down  time.

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: 5,000 Mile Service.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 08:43:54 PM »

Yea; how much does a gasket cost  for x,st sake, I had one replaced and the main e ack opened the package with a jip knike rode off 2 miles lost qt. of oil what a mess..  -AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 11:06:37 PM »

I called a dealership about an hour north of here and they had 13 gaskets in stock. I offered to go get them but the dealership would "flex" them here by Monday or Tuesday. Tuesday they said they would "overnight" them. Wednesday, I went north and got one myself. I picked my bike up this afternoon. The only complaint I had was that they overtightened the drive belt. I rode the bike 120 miles and returned to the dealership. They said they had adjusted the belt to the tightest spec. I got them to adjust the belt and the whooshing noise went away. The cost for the 5000 mile service was $240.62. The gasket leak was under warranty. They had my bike for a week. I asked them if any of the their gaskets had shown up yet and they said they just got them.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 01:58:22 AM »

Service appts. are further out in the summer time cause everybody is riding so everybody is trying to get there bike in.  In the winter, they have the same number of techs and nobody riding so it's a lot easier to get your bike in right away.

As for being out of stock and "putting in a lot of those lately".........sounds like a lame excuse for somebody that isn't doing their job (probably the guy who told you that).  A good dealership would not be out of stock in the middle of summer on such a common item.  Just my opnion.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 06:31:47 AM »

There's really no excuse for any normal replacement part to ever be out of stock at a functional HD shop.  Parts inventory and automated reorder from HD corporate is state of the art and far superior to most systems.  Problem lies with a "sleepy"  or lazy dealership that has not defined their minimum inventory numbers.  If the system is used correctly, there is no "out of stock".  Find a new dealership that is computer and inventory literate.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 02:26:28 AM »

There's really no excuse for any normal replacement part to ever be out of stock at a functional HD shop.  Parts inventory and automated reorder from HD corporate is state of the art and far superior to most systems.  Problem lies with a "sleepy"  or lazy dealership that has not defined their minimum inventory numbers.  If the system is used correctly, there is no "out of stock".  Find a new dealership that is computer and inventory literate.

Thank you BLM......that's what I'm talkin about! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.