Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: ANY MERIT TO KEEPING MY 01 SERG AUDIO STOCK?  (Read 5434 times)

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 serg
    • My company site
ANY MERIT TO KEEPING MY 01 SERG AUDIO STOCK?
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »

Hello people.  Id love to hear a few comments on this. 
Since the Aux input doesnt work on my SERG as we know, im contemplating removing the radio and soldering in the rear 1/8 stereo plug , so i can run my ipod/iphone pandora etc or whatever through that.  And thus keeping the bike stock including still having a cd player, which I could use from time to time.   I do like the "stock" aspect.

However, Since im going throught the trouble of removing it, part of me says just put in a nice sony unit, scrap the CD and enter the 21st century.  I suppose I could get a real nice single din unit that has all the bells and whistles maby even Nav. plus I see you can flip down the front and hide your iphone on some models.

What would YOU do? 

Steve

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: ANY MERIT TO KEEPING MY 01 SERG AUDIO STOCK?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »

Since you seem to like the features of an after-market deck...go for it....just keep in mind that keeping all the stock parts and not modifying beyond the point of returning it back to stock will help with the 'collect-ability' factor in the future.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »

Going with an aftermarket deck won't require any changes (at all) to the bike.  No wires altered nor brackets bent, mangled or otherwise messed with.  Direct bolt in with the correct kit for the purpose.  Very easy chore.

Just a thought on adding the rear aux port.  I honestly don't know and am only speculating.  So keep that in mind.  But if you add a rear aux port pigtailed off the existing aux port connection that new rear aux port won't operate any differently than does the front?  So you'd not gain anything because the CD deck in the tour pack will still have the aux function locked up? 

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »

crazy thing is on the 2001, the front AUX port is disabled from the factory installation to allow the multi cd player in the tour pac to function.
The manual literally says (Not Used).

So the only way to have an AUX port on my radio is to remove the radio  and follow the fairly simple procedure of soldering in a  new aux port on a lead to the terminals inside the radio.  The instructions are circulating on this site for a while from one of the members.

Also, this only applies to the 2001 SERG  not any of the other ones! 

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »

I see what you meant. The instructions state there is another wire to cut that will allow the unit to change the source to AUX , which currently my radion will not set to. , im not sure if your actually soldering the leads to the front aux port termials , or the cd player left and rigth audio terminals.
But, I think im leaning to putting in a SONY.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 01:00:03 PM »

I see what you meant. The instructions state there is another wire to cut that will allow the unit to change the source to AUX , which currently my radion will not set to. , im not sure if your actually soldering the leads to the front aux port termials , or the cd player left and rigth audio terminals.
But, I think im leaning to putting in a SONY.

I'd put the new unit in there.  If Don (twolane) says it's plug and play, you can take that to the bank.  Keep the old one in case you ever sell the bike.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »

I'd put the new unit in there.  If Don (twolane) says it's plug and play, you can take that to the bank.  Keep the old one in case you ever sell the bike.

Really has been made a very simple swap Terry.  Years ago didn't used to be.  But years ago the head units available didn't stand up in a bike anyway.  So was a moot point.

Now with either the Biketronics or the Hawgwired kits the electrical interface is a simple directly plugged in interconnect and the bracket kit bolts the radio in the existing hole. 

A consideration worth a moment's thought on a new radio might be a new head unit that doesn't include a CD player.  Sony (and others) are offering units in a category called "digital media receivers."  No CD player (so almost no moving parts and no skipping [which auto head units will do in our bikes]) but instead the face opens to swallow an iPod or other MP3 player.  No disks but almost unlimited tunes on your media player and nothing that can skip. 

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »

But there's something cool about a cassette player! ;D

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »

I actually have a small collection of cassettes from my high school and college years.  But most of them are home made mixes and they hiss like crazy and how many times can I listen to the doobie brothers , harry belefante, and steely Dan anyway!I have to learn to thow away some stuff! 

Of course I also have about 200 cds in my other outdated collection.  LPs predated my audiophile years, but not by much!  I do remember having PHysical grafiti and a few doors albums. 

Back to the topic at hand.    Don, I like your idea of putting the mp3 player behind the faceplate.  Cds are so much less practical than the tons of mp3s you can store , plus I often use pandora now on my iphone , so that im sure will play through that.

Im sure its been covered , but which of the control interfaces do you think is better, and is there a member that sells this stuff?  I like keeping it in the "family" when  its practical.  Bakes

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 02:09:43 PM »

ps . I inherited the Harry Belefante casette from my father in law!

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »

But there's something cool about a cassette player! ;D

im trying not to think that way !

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »

You could donate the current one to the HD museum... it's probably one of the only ones still working or not in need of repair!

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »

You could donate the current one to the HD museum... it's probably one of the only ones still working or not in need of repair!

Thats what I keep hearing.  So, mine is probably about to go too.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »

I actually have a small collection of cassettes from my high school and college years.  But most of them are home made mixes and they hiss like crazy and how many times can I listen to the doobie brothers , harry belefante, and steely Dan anyway!I have to learn to thow away some stuff! 

Of course I also have about 200 cds in my other outdated collection.  LPs predated my audiophile years, but not by much!  I do remember having PHysical grafiti and a few doors albums. 

Back to the topic at hand.    Don, I like your idea of putting the mp3 player behind the faceplate.  Cds are so much less practical than the tons of mp3s you can store , plus I often use pandora now on my iphone , so that im sure will play through that.

Im sure its been covered , but which of the control interfaces do you think is better, and is there a member that sells this stuff?  I like keeping it in the "family" when  its practical.  Bakes

Of the two commonly used interface kits (Biketronics and Hawgwired) I much prefer the HawgWired (have used both).  The mount hardware is much nicer and there seem to be none of the occasional quirks that happen with the Biketronics kit.  Both will get the job done and have all your expected controls still operate through the handlebar controls as always.  I just much prefer the HawgWired kit.

Site member HD-Dude is a a dealer for the HawgWired parts and will score you some discount.  I've got one of the Sony "Digital Media Receiver" type head units in my 05.  Works fine, no skips and does all you'd expect it to.  Several different models now available within that family of product.  Some with more options than others.  So take a moment to do a bit of homework and you'll find something that matches your tastes/needs.

Install kit for using Sony radio in a Harley:
http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=36

Various Sony Digital Media Receivers:
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Car-Receivers.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand%7cSony&nvpair=AG_Type%7cffDigital_Media_Receiver

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »

thanks for those links Twolane.  Im gona look at the Sonys.  I see biketronics has the variable amplitute like the harley. But i never thought it was a big deal. easy enough to flick your thumb up and down for volume , which I do constantly anyway.

Ill let you guys know what route I end up taking. Cheers!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.125 seconds with 25 queries.