Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: ANY MERIT TO KEEPING MY 01 SERG AUDIO STOCK?  (Read 5411 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: ANY MERIT TO KEEPING MY 01 SERG AUDIO STOCK?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 05:35:23 PM »

thanks for those links Twolane.  Im gona look at the Sonys.  I see biketronics has the variable amplitute like the harley. But i never thought it was a big deal. easy enough to flick your thumb up and down for volume , which I do constantly anyway.

Ill let you guys know what route I end up taking. Cheers!

Keeping the AVC function is the one thing the Biketronics unit does that the HawgWired does not.  That is or isn't a hassle depening on how much up and down you're doing and your patience for such things.  But it is a difference.  That the HawgWired piece works without error and the Biketronics piece occasionals gets something "wrong" in response to the controls more than made up that difference for me though.  The HawgWired piece was just the more stable unit; at least in my admittledly limit experience with the systems.

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 serg
    • My company site
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 08:07:49 AM »

Keeping the AVC function is the one thing the Biketronics unit does that the HawgWired does not.  That is or isn't a hassle depening on how much up and down you're doing and your patience for such things.  But it is a difference.  That the HawgWired piece works without error and the Biketronics piece occasionals gets something "wrong" in response to the controls more than made up that difference for me though.  The HawgWired piece was just the more stable unit; at least in my admittledly limit experience with the systems.

Im assuming sticking with Marine grade would be the right move. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »

Im assuming sticking with Marine grade would be the right move. 

In the category of "it can't hurt" the Marine units are certainly a little better protected.  But.......

Water intrusion inside the fairing isn't a big worry.  Water in the face is more of a concern.  The marine head units aren't that much better protected there than the standard automotive units. 

I'm not a big fan of a vendor called EGlide Goodies.  But they're the only one I know that offers this part.  Check out their website:

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id237.html

While there look for the radio splash guard.  For Road Glide it's their number splsh-2 for all of 20 bucks.  Plastic cover that fits over the radio.  I stick it in place if washing the bike, riding in to rain, or leaving the bike outside at a motel if there's any chance rain or heavy dew might present overnight.  It's a cheap part that's a good idea with or without a marine grade head unit.

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 06:21:04 PM »

In the category of "it can't hurt" the Marine units are certainly a little better protected.  But.......

Water intrusion inside the fairing isn't a big worry.  Water in the face is more of a concern.  The marine head units aren't that much better protected there than the standard automotive units. 

I'm not a big fan of a vendor called EGlide Goodies.  But they're the only one I know that offers this part.  Check out their website:

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id237.html

While there look for the radio splash guard.  For Road Glide it's their number splsh-2 for all of 20 bucks.  Plastic cover that fits over the radio.  I stick it in place if washing the bike, riding in to rain, or leaving the bike outside at a motel if there's any chance rain or heavy dew might present overnight.  It's a cheap part that's a good idea with or without a marine grade head unit.

going totally in the hitech direction what do you think of this 

and I know some issues immediatly are  a. possible distraction   b. vibration  c. theft  d. water damage  but it sure looks cool!

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027893&pathId=133&page=3&archive=true

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 06:22:04 PM »

this one

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »

going totally in the hitech direction what do you think of this 

and I know some issues immediatly are  a. possible distraction   b. vibration  c. theft  d. water damage  but it sure looks cool!

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027893&pathId=133&page=3&archive=true

Definitely cool.  But I'd not use it in a bike.  For no other reason than the built in hard drive.  A nice riding car is a stable enough platform for modern hard drives to work without much issue.  Bike is a hazardous duty environment for a hard drive. 

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 06:47:50 PM »

Definitely cool.  But I'd not use it in a bike.  For no other reason than the built in hard drive.  A nice riding car is a stable enough platform for modern hard drives to work without much issue.  Bike is a hazardous duty environment for a hard drive. 

i know your are right.   plus its a little over the top..  and  im probably  not even gona play cd's 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 07:03:11 PM »

i know your are right.   plus its a little over the top..  and  im probably  not even gona play cd's 

Not even sure that one is still available.  In fact don't know of any single DIN GPS receivers anymore.  The screens are painfully small for practical use.  Big killer for actual functionality is getting the hard drive to live in the bike environment.

Can remember back when Garmin had its 2620 GPS unit on the market.  At the time it was nearly the only cookie on the sheet if one wanted a good GPS in a weather sealed unit.  But it had trouble handling the shakes.  It also wasn't happy when it was forced to spin up on 20 degree mornings.  Stabilization in the better hard drives is improved now from then.  But a bike is still a tough environment.  There's a reason the Zumos and other contemporary options for GPS units don't use hard drives.

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 09:10:29 PM »

I know I should have followed your advice twolane!  But I couldnt resist that single DIN Nav unit from JVC the nx5000.    I bought one on ebay new and installed it with a hogtunes speaker and amp kit.  I also used the biktronics installation kit.  due to the AVC. 

I found a guy with this head unit in his electraglide.  He said it works , but the glare from the sun makes it hard to see the panel.

If the vibrations are gona kill it, I should find that out pretty soon!   

I havnt removed the 12 disk player yet.  Do you or anyone think I can plug that into the JVC somehow and just keep it in the pac.  since im keeping the stock radio and speakers in a box for a future sale, id keep the 12 disk player in there too , if  I can get it to work.
Bakes
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.