Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Lifter failure?  (Read 9524 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Lifter failure?
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »

The pushrod cover tubes don't really look that bad even with the extended inner tube cover

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2019, 09:46:48 AM »

Have you had this issue?  The left exhaust support bracket tab broken. It's the only fixed support for the left from the slip-ons up.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2019, 09:51:30 AM »

Going  to have to beef this tab up so it can do it's job.

J.D.

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2019, 11:07:38 AM »

Yes those break often.  Could easily be the source of your noise (if it was broken before this work started of course).

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2019, 12:13:12 PM »

Yes those break often.  Could easily be the source of your noise (if it was broken before this work started of course).

Found it broken when j was removing the exhaust

Perhaps this will hold :confused5:

bungie

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »

Have you had this issue?  The left exhaust support bracket tab broken. It's the only fixed support for the left from the slip-ons up.

That's your noise  :bananarock:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2019, 06:47:45 PM »

That's your noise  :bananarock:

Suppose it's a possibility  :2vrolijk_21:

J.D.

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2019, 07:07:30 PM »

If you are reusing the exhaust clamp that holds that piece be very sure the bolt moves freely through the center block.  Follow the exhaust installation instructions carefully when aligning and tightening everything.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2019, 08:22:45 PM »

If you are reusing the exhaust clamp that holds that piece be very sure the bolt moves freely through the center block.  Follow the exhaust installation instructions carefully when aligning and tightening everything.

Noted:  :2vrolijk_21: 

The pipes are going on tomorrow.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2019, 08:23:17 AM »

All back together,.......... :'( :confused5: :confused5: :drink: enough to send a man to drink it won't start  :-[  Need a  :drink:

Left it for the night pondering what did I mess up on the timing couldn't sleep what the rrrrrrrr did I do wrong swimming though my mind.

Then after a good night's restless sleep one of the thoughts kept wondering by that I was dismissing it couldn't be that easy.

This mornin I checked what I thought "no I'm sure it's not that"  :P yup I did it PUT THE PUG WIRES WRONG WAY ROUND on the coil..  ::)

Fired up straight away right way round.

Still got the ticking.  I'm doing a recheck on the pushrod adjustments writing this waiting for the tappets to bleed down.
Then try it again

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2019, 10:58:01 AM »

:huepfenjump3: :pepper:
Finished up resetting of the lifters "don't know what happened the first time round " fired it up and no more issues noise gone.

I also replaced the V&H slip-on's got a good good  deal on a pair of eagle slip-ons removed the fuel pak plugged straight back into the ECM.
Went for a run and it runs great sounds great.  So the noise must have been one of the S&S lifters that was clacking like a duck.

The table lift worked out great ,it's packed away till next time, l hope isn't too soon

End of the day it has all ended well (knocking on my head) :cherry:

Thanks for all the input  :2vrolijk_21:

J.D.

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2019, 11:27:08 AM »

Well done  :2vrolijk_21:

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2019, 01:03:42 PM »

Did the same myself first time I fitted adjustable pushrods and new lifters. Started it up and one was ticking. Checked all the pushrods and the last one I checked was too slack (I must have set it with some lift on the cam). Set it properly and all was well.
It's a nice feeling isn't it when you start it and the noise has gone.
JohnT

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2019, 06:18:28 PM »

last winter i installed new lifters. 35000 miles on a 07
found one spot of missing hard surface on one roller 1mm x 2mm i think ill do the next at 20000 miles.
decided to remove the valve covers, inspect valve springs and use stock pushrods, i had various issues with pushrods on shovels and there are no adjustment issues with solid pushrods.
its uses zero oil so i do not want to mess with cylinders or heads in any way as long as it keeps running this clean.
installed the new stamped breathers - the shorter bolts are a godsend compared to the bolts on the cast breathers.
runs perfect.

every 20000 interval for lifters is probably a good idea, next time ill replace the cam bearings too.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2019, 06:54:59 PM »

last winter i installed new lifters. 35000 miles on a 07
found one spot of missing hard surface on one roller 1mm x 2mm i think ill do the next at 20000 miles.
decided to remove the valve covers, inspect valve springs and use stock pushrods, i had various issues with pushrods on shovels and there are no adjustment issues with solid pushrods.
its uses zero oil so i do not want to mess with cylinders or heads in any way as long as it keeps running this clean.
installed the new stamped breathers - the shorter bolts are a godsend compared to the bolts on the cast breathers.
runs perfect.

every 20000 interval for lifters is probably a good idea, next time ill replace the cam bearings too.

What lifters did you install?

But a lot more work to pull them.

I changed the stock lifters in my 07 at 18000 miles to S&S. At the time the stock ones were fine just upgraded to a better lifter "least I thought " one S&S failed  with 8500 on it, now the stock lifters are back in.  At the time was running solid pushrods.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 24 queries.