Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38

Author Topic: "FXR CHATTER"  (Read 120225 times)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: "FXR CHATTER"
« Reply #240 on: December 13, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »

Tim - WHEW

LOL

Ok, I'm just making a 'short' reply.

I too am tired of the glare from that trim on the dash.

From the pics it looks like the gague setup is the same on the FXR4.  On the 4 there is also a reset button on the left of the speedo to reset the trip meter.  The 'electronic digital' stuff is in the clamp on top of the handlebars.  So the tank panel looks the same to me.

I will ck the parts numbers in a few  minutes.

Also ..... or rather than ... going with the wrinkle black, I was thinking more like a custom leather tank bib to replace the chrome piece that runs down the tank.

Someone, I forgot who, but THANK YOU, and in what thread, but it was on this board, posted up this link:
http://www.chilhowee.net/harley-motorcycle-tank-bibs.html

so I was thinking of getting a custom bib for the tank.  You know, something that would also compliment my Corbin saddle. I'd have to get a sample of their leather to make sure their 'orange' would be close enough in color to match up with the bike and the seat...
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #241 on: December 13, 2008, 12:04:42 PM »

Hey Tim .............LOL......you and I didn't know it ... but we were connected last April in 08 you responded to a post that I put up in Vtwin .... and then I didn't make it back there ........

Mikey not only were you connected with me lol, but you were also talking with MIke (RedFXR2) who is FXR2 at V~Twin Forum he responded to you initially ie: Replies 2, 4, and 5.

HOLLY COW !!!!!!!!!!

3) I'd still like to get rid of that chrome strip on the dash

Mikey~~~do you still have a desire to do this....

Yes I do !

I have done it to my FXR2 (just haven't taken any quality photos of the modification yet so I will include photos of a 1992 FXRSC showing the "black wrinkle" Instrument Housing & Trim Pannel) here are the part numbers:

1988 – 1992 FXRS Low Rider
1988 – 1994 FXDL Dyna Low Rider
Instrument Housing & Trim Panel Black Wrinkle
67189-88  Instrument Housing Chrome FXR2   $55.96 FXR4 67189-95
67185-88  Instrument Housing “Wrinkle Black” FXRS  $57.50
67119-85  Instrument Housing Black Rubber Bottom Trim Edging Piece  $4.80  FXR4 67119-95
2519         Instrument Housing Black Screws (2)    same as FXR4

92061-83  Speedometer/Tachometer Rubber Cushion  $12.00  FXR4 92061-95

61643-88  Trim Panel “Wrinkle Black” FXRS  $33.44
61635-88  Trim Panel Chrome FXR2  same as FXR4
61648-85  Trim Panel Edging FXR2  same as FXR4

After I put this list together for you I am reminded that the FXR4's have the electronic speedo's

If by this you mean that the pick-up is a magnetic sensor that comes off the top of the tranny and sent to the speed, that's correct.

thus I am not sure since I don't have the Part's Book for a FXR4 whether the chrome housing and the tank trim pannel share the same part numbers with the FXR2 and 3. 
I put the FXR4 part numbers above ... it's clear that they do not share the same housings

~~ ..there is a parts department in WI that purchases NOS parts from HD's across the country (NOS = New Old Stock) and then they become a source to the HD Dealerships for parts that are basically out of inventory or discontinued....if the HD Parts person will show enough inititive to search. 

This good to know .... anyway for Joe Public to contact them ?

But anyway.....let's say they are different part numbers for your FXR4 of which actually I know the instrument housing would be since your housing fits the "electronic" gauges and would need no hole on the side to reset the odometer like the FXR2's and 3's would
Nope, there's a resent button on the FXR4 for the trip meter - straight from the parts manual: BOOT, reset switch PN 67880-94

~~as for the longer "Trim" panel I would assume the part numbers above would fit since there is nothing uniquely different about the FXR4's tank compared to those of the FXR2's or FXR3's when it comes to properly fitting the trim panel piece
I agree, and posted the part numbers above that shows the match

......butttttttt I don't believe the trim pannel would fit from a Dyna Low Rider back in 1999 or 2000 because the tanks of an FXR4 and a Dyna Low Rider attach differently to the frames at the bottom (or closest to the seat)
Sounds right

I for one became tired of the "chrome" glare off of the trim panel

ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!  sometimes it is dangerous :-(

~~.....I also tried the "mix" and match of using the "Chrome" Instrument housing against the wrinkle black trim pannel and in the end.....I felt the "look" was best either as "chromed"or "wrinkle black" as a unit (instrument housing & trim pannel).
sometimes we think exactly alike, I would have tried the different combinations too  :)

I will post a couple of photos from a 1992 FXRSC to reference what it is we are talking about.

1992 FXRSC

hard to tell from the pictures sometimes .... those gauges and tank look just like mine, only mine is chrome   :nixweiss:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #242 on: December 15, 2008, 06:09:04 PM »

FXR CHATTER!!!!!

lol....."CHATTER" is right....lol it's a balmy 0 degrees here in Nothern Colorado....and we have 3" of snow on the ground......with sunny skies as the sun is just setting behind the mountains.....

Regards,

Tim

RedFXR2

« Reply #243 on: December 15, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »

Was about 80 and sunny today.  More of the same tomorrow.  I'm in my normal uniform of cargo shorts, T-shirt and sandals.

You do have nice scenery, though.  And far better riding.  In the summer.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #244 on: December 16, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »

FXR CHATTER!!!!!

lol....."CHATTER" is right....lol it's a balmy 0 degrees here in Nothern Colorado....and we have 3" of snow on the ground......with sunny skies as the sun is just setting behind the mountains.....

Regards,

Tim

hummmmmmmmm  Northern Colorado ......... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'd sure love to ride my Candy Tangerine in them parts ..............
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

RedFXR2

« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2008, 08:25:09 PM »

hummmmmmmmm  Northern Colorado ......... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'd sure love to ride my Candy Tangerine in them parts ..............

Me too.  My own bike that is.  I bet other FXR folks would like it too.

Hhmmmmmmmm........ ;) 

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »

Me too.  My own bike that is.  I bet other FXR folks would like it too.

Hhmmmmmmmm........ ;) 

we could make a run at it Mike..... I could meet you on the road somewhere ..........

A friend of mine is riding from here to CA, then north, and back east..... I don't know the route, YET ..... looks like it might be some time in May.
He's estimating that he'll be on the road two weeks ............  I'm giving VERY SERIOUS consideration of going with him.
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2008, 08:40:57 PM »

Tim - WHEW

LOL

Ok, I'm just making a 'short' reply.

I too am tired of the glare from that trim on the dash.

From the pics it looks like the gague setup is the same on the FXR4.  On the 4 there is also a reset button on the left of the speedo to reset the trip meter.  The 'electronic digital' stuff is in the clamp on top of the handlebars.  So the tank panel looks the same to me.

I will ck the parts numbers in a few  minutes.

Also ..... or rather than ... going with the wrinkle black, I was thinking more like a custom leather tank bib to replace the chrome piece that runs down the tank.

Someone, I forgot who, but THANK YOU, and in what thread, but it was on this board, posted up this link:
http://www.chilhowee.net/harley-motorcycle-tank-bibs.html

so I was thinking of getting a custom bib for the tank.  You know, something that would also compliment my Corbin saddle. I'd have to get a sample of their leather to make sure their 'orange' would be close enough in color to match up with the bike and the seat...

Tim .......... I was thinking that you would have a comment on the tank bib ? 
Could it be that you're stumped, and at a loss of words      LOL
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #248 on: December 16, 2008, 08:42:17 PM »

we could make a run at it Mike..... I could meet you on the road somewhere ..........

A friend of mine is riding from here to CA, then north, and back east..... I don't know the route, YET ..... looks like it might be some time in May.
He's estimating that he'll be on the road two weeks ............  I'm giving VERY SERIOUS consideration of going with him.

2 Weeks is a very aggressive schedule for that Mike! Wish ya luck on that one. I did it in 2 weeks once from NYC down to LA, up the coast to WA, and back thru CO to NYC. 2 week hellride! No room for error! Do yourself a favor and make it three and enjoy the scenery! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #249 on: December 16, 2008, 10:06:39 PM »

2 Weeks is a very aggressive schedule for that Mike! Wish ya luck on that one. I did it in 2 weeks once from NYC down to LA, up the coast to WA, and back thru CO to NYC. 2 week hellride! No room for error! Do yourself a favor and make it three and enjoy the scenery! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

You're absolutely correct Hoist.........  Being retired I could take more time.  I'd like to take 3-4 weeks.  3 seems like it would be reasonable .... I don't want to ride it just to say I did that  ..... I want to have some time off the bike to SEE STUFF  and ENJOY the places that inspire me.  An idea just came to me .... I could start out with him, and then split up later ........ he comes home on the fast track, and I take in the sights :D  :orange: :huepfenjump3: :bananarock: :mango: :apple: :pepper:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #250 on: December 17, 2008, 03:15:54 PM »

Mikey~~hummmmmmmmm  Northern Colorado ......... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmI'd sure love to ride my Candy Tangerine in them parts ..............

Mike~~~Me too.  My own bike that is.  I bet other FXR folks would like it too.  Hhmmmmmmmm........   

Mikey~~~We could make a run at it Mike..... I could meet you on the road somewhere ..........A friend of mine is riding from here to CA, then north, and back east..... I don't know the route, YET ..... looks like it might be some time in May.

==============================================

Hey you guys are really "CHATTERIN" lol......while my teeth are "CHATTERIN" lol.......Ok so it's a balmy 29 degrees today......oh yeah baby we are talkin a warmin trend........

Would absolutely love to take you guys around these parts.....have plenty of local one day rides or even plenty of 3 day/over nite types of rides.....everywhere in America is beautiful but when I ride over Independence Pass (outside of Aspen) I have to just pull over and slap some John Denver.......Rocky Mountain High!!!!!   :bananarock:

Regards,

Tim

elvislee

« Reply #251 on: December 17, 2008, 03:22:12 PM »

Mikey~~hummmmmmmmm  Northern Colorado ......... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmI'd sure love to ride my Candy Tangerine in them parts ..............

Mike~~~Me too.  My own bike that is.  I bet other FXR folks would like it too.  Hhmmmmmmmm........   

Mikey~~~We could make a run at it Mike..... I could meet you on the road somewhere ..........A friend of mine is riding from here to CA, then north, and back east..... I don't know the route, YET ..... looks like it might be some time in May.

==============================================

Hey you guys are really "CHATTERIN" lol......while my teeth are "CHATTERIN" lol.......Ok so it's a balmy 29 degrees today......oh yeah baby we are talkin a warmin trend........

Would absolutely love to take you guys around these parts.....have plenty of local one day rides or even plenty of 3 day/over nite types of rides.....everywhere in America is beautiful but when I ride over Independence Pass (outside of Aspen) I have to just pull over and slap some John Denver.......Rocky Mountain High!!!!!   :bananarock:

Regards,

Tim

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :2vrolijk_21:  ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:27:56 PM by elvislee »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #252 on: December 17, 2008, 03:24:50 PM »

Mikey~~~ I was thinking that you would have a comment on the tank bib ?  Could it be that you're stumped, and at a loss of words      LOL

Mikey....

I have been caught up getting some "THREADS" posted into HTT....ummmm yeah....ummmm lol....as to that tank bib....that would definitely fit your "theme" and go quite well with your seat in my opinion.... but it's not really my style.....my $100.00 went towards the black wrinkle tank pannel trim and instrument housing I described eariler.....I am just not a "stud" type of person.....per say....But this is exactly what makes our bikes so exciting and wonderful.....the individual style and enjoyment that can be arrived at by choosing different things.... :2vrolijk_21:
 :jalapeno:

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #253 on: December 17, 2008, 03:35:28 PM »

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm   :2vrolijk_21: ;)

Blaine~~~

you like John Denver TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?   lol

4,900 - 12,000 feet of pure grade AAAAAAAA FUN!!!!!

Where FXR's are meant to be ridden............in the twisties, in the canyons.........in the mountains.....

Regards,

Tim

RedFXR2

« Reply #254 on: December 17, 2008, 03:52:12 PM »

[
Where FXR's are meant to be ridden............in the twisties, in the canyons.........in the mountains.....

We have canyons in Florida, too.  Kinda have to watch your step as your going down the sides, though.  But not for loose rocks.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 21 queries.