Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38

Author Topic: "FXR CHATTER"  (Read 120239 times)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
Re: "FXR CHATTER"
« Reply #375 on: January 25, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »

Hey JW...I just had a thought... Maybe her riding the FXR instead of the Fatboy would be some much needed medicine :2vrolijk_21:  :)  ooops! I forgot that Jr. got the Fxr; now I bet that would be one hell of a battle  ;D ...but I KNOW they wouldn't fight about it would they  ;); not even when they was little huh?   ;);D

ROFLOL  ;D

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #376 on: January 25, 2009, 05:43:47 PM »

Blaine,
Thanks for ck'ing the '4' suplement ....

I just got home from Charlotte, where I went to the Easy Riders Motorcyle Show at the convention center .... it waz pretty nice  :D

On the way home (2.5 hours)  I was thinking about the rear brake pedal, and the SM.

I am on my way out to the garage and have another look at it, and read the SM again about removing the cam.
I think it is done WITHOUT removing that brake pedal.

I'll let yall know, as soon as I know   :huepfenlol2:
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

elvislee

« Reply #377 on: January 25, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »

Blaine,
Thanks for ck'ing the '4' suplement ....

I just got home from Charlotte, where I went to the Easy Riders Motorcyle Show at the convention center .... it waz pretty nice  :D

On the way home (2.5 hours)  I was thinking about the rear brake pedal, and the SM.

I am on my way out to the garage and have another look at it, and read the SM again about removing the cam.

Yea man...I checked again today and nothing pertaining to the cam or even the brake pedal...Sorry.

Hey...Nothing like spending the day looking at HOT BIKES and HOT BABES :2vrolijk_21: cept maybe actually riding your bike to the show   :zroflmao:   ;D

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #378 on: January 26, 2009, 07:09:30 PM »

OK, here's whut I got

The stupid SM shows pictures, and talks about removing, and installing things ..... as the engine is OUT OF THE FRAME   !!!!!
so, if there is something like the brake pedal, that MAY be in the way of removing the cam, they don't explain it that way

SO, my approach is going to be to try to remove it with the brake pedal on. If I have to remove it, I will .....
I'll let ya know, when I get there .......

Right now I'm waiting for it to be just a tad warmer out in the garage

I guees I'm ready to take it down off the jack, and slide a floor jack under it and remove the motor mount ........

I don't want to be a nay sayer ...... but man it just doesn't look like that will provide enough room to get those bolts out .... time will prove me wrong, I'm sure of it  :pepper:

I guess I need to update my 'build' thread .... started the tear down and have some pics I can post up

I started the tear down for my build

after I got the exhaust off I was looking at the cam chest, and I noticed where the brake pedal was sitting

on the FXR4, do you have to remove the brake pedal in order to

1) remove the cam cover

2) get the cam out

If so .......  let me share with you what I've found so far while looking this over

1) the SM is for the 2&3 ... and describes how to remove the rear master cylinder, it even has pictures

2) the '4' is not like the pictures in the SM for the 2&3

3) I know they published a 'SM Supplement' for the '4'

4) I never bought it because I was told that it's not worth the money

5) I've been told that the supplement only covers the changes from the 2&3 to the 4

6) I know the brakes are different, so would this be in the supplement ?

Thanks,
Mikey
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #379 on: January 28, 2009, 05:52:59 PM »

good thing that conversations here aren't like having to have water ......... I'm just sayin, a guy could get pretty thirsty sometimes   :o

where's everyone at ?

I got lots to say, but I ain't talkin to da walls ..........
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

elvislee

« Reply #380 on: January 28, 2009, 06:14:20 PM »

good thing that conversations here aren't like having to have water ......... I'm just sayin, a guy could get pretty thirsty sometimes   :o

where's everyone at ?

I got lots to say, but I ain't talkin to da walls ..........

Hey....I talk to em all the time :D So what be happening Mikey? Hows the build coming or are ya still waiting on gaskets didn't ya say? My carb needle came in today so going to get it tomorrow and me and tha "Z Man" are gonna get busy  :2vrolijk_21:

OK NOW...We be listening :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:16:40 PM by elvislee »

zn14

« Reply #381 on: January 28, 2009, 06:19:33 PM »

Blaine
I have a few things to do tomorrow am then I'll call you..........get that carb off..............it won't take long to rejet and change the needle

elvislee

« Reply #382 on: January 28, 2009, 06:25:45 PM »

Blaine
I have a few things to do tomorrow am then I'll call you..........get that carb off..............it won't take long to rejet and change the needle

Hey no problem; going in the morning to get the needle; make a few other stops and should have the carb off by noon CST.. Thanks man :2vrolijk_21:

zn14

« Reply #383 on: January 28, 2009, 06:53:17 PM »

that would be 11 my time...........I'll be home by then..........talk to you then

elvislee

« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2009, 07:12:09 PM »

that would be 11 my time...........I'll be home by then..........talk to you then

Hey good deal man...Oh yea...Paul...Ya better be real careful man; ya keep posting like this and ya might hit 20 posts by next Christmas  :P  ;D  :2vrolijk_21:

RedFXR2

« Reply #385 on: January 28, 2009, 07:38:35 PM »

Mikey:  I'm 99% certain that my cam was replaced with the motor in the frame.  I also don't think the brake pedal was removed.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #386 on: January 28, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »

Hey....I talk to em all the time :D So what be happening Mikey? Hows the build coming or are ya still waiting on gaskets didn't ya say? My carb needle came in today so going to get it tomorrow and me and tha "Z Man" are gonna get busy  :2vrolijk_21:

OK NOW...We be listening :2vrolijk_21:

GIDDY UP !!

Now you got somein to do on your bike, AGAIN !!!   :pepper:

I haven't messed with the build for a few days.  Gonna work on it tomorrow.  I'll take it off the cycle jack tomorrow, put it down on the floor, put a floor jack under it and let the engine down in the frame. Then we'll find out if I can really get those rear rocker bolts out  !!

If so, then I'll take off the rocker boxes off both heads, removing the push rods, then take off the heads, then my buddy is coming over ..... gonna pull the cylinders and pistons as a unit.  Gonna look and see what the cylinders look like .... I'm torn between buying new pistons and have the jugs bored, or just leave the assembly together and put it back on that way too.

My guess is, once I get the jugs off, I'll come to the conclusion that it's not worth the chance for not going, say, .010 over, put in new rings and then be done with it. 

After the jugs come off I'll remove the lifters and lifter blocks, then measure the end play on the cam. This will tell me how much shim stock I'll need when I put the new cam in .... we'll measure the length of the old cam, then the new cam, and make up the difference with the shim stock. This should bring the new cam end play to where the exsiting one is, which should be somewhere (I think) about .018 ...... I'm sure it's in the SM    LOL

after that, I'll pull out the cam and take it down to my INDY .... he'll take the gear off my old cam, take the gear off my new cam, put the old gear on the new cam ......
after that, I'm ready to start putting her back together ..... well, I'm sure by that time I'll be down buying new pistions, waiting for them to come in, then send out the pistons and jugs for boring .......... THEN I'll be ready to put here together again .......

well, something like that anyway
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

RedFXR2

« Reply #387 on: January 28, 2009, 08:03:55 PM »

.... gonna pull the cylinders and pistons as a unit.  Gonna look and see what the cylinders look like .... I'm torn between buying new pistons and have the jugs bored, or just leave the assembly together and put it back on that way too.

My guess is, once I get the jugs off, I'll come to the conclusion that it's not worth the chance for not going, say, .010 over, put in new rings and then be done with it.

Just asking--why do you think youi'll need to bore the cylinders .010?  My bet is that a simple clean-up with a ball hone a new set of stock rings on the cleaned-up stock pistons will work just fine. 

... I'll pull out the cam and take it down to my INDY .... he'll take the gear off my old cam, take the gear off my new cam, put the old gear on the new cam ......

Smart move.  Should be considered a "must do".

...after that, I'm ready to start putting her back together ..... well, I'm sure by that time I'll be down buying new pistions, waiting for them to come in, then send out the pistons and jugs for boring .......... THEN I'll be ready to put here together again .......

Take the pistons out of the cylinders, clean them up (and the cylinders, too) and examine them.  Unless you have a pronounced scoring on a cylinder or maybe a piston, there's no need to do anything more than a ball hone job and new Hastings rings.  My motor required a tiny cut (bore) on only the lower part of one cylinder to correct a slight egg-shaped wear pattern, but that was all.

elvislee

« Reply #388 on: January 28, 2009, 08:19:33 PM »

Hey guys...Some great stuff here...Gonna save all this info for future reference  :2vrolijk_21:

OK!...So Mikey...Does this mean you'll be done by tomorrow  ???   ::)   ;D

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #389 on: January 28, 2009, 10:48:37 PM »

Just asking--why do you think youi'll need to bore the cylinders .010?  My bet is that a simple clean-up with a ball hone a new set of stock rings on the cleaned-up stock pistons will work just fine. 

well, not too sure Mike ..... I was gonna send them up to Hillside ..... If I do, I don't want to take the chance that they might find they are worse off than my eye could see, or that I could feel with my thumb nail. It would be safer to send 10 over pistons and be sure.  That would still leave me 20 over to go for the rest of my life .... should make it LOL         ............  I don't know of a shop around here to take them too  :(  I need to get out more often    LOL

Smart move.  Should be considered a "must do".
Thanks, I think it is too !

Take the pistons out of the cylinders, clean them up (and the cylinders, too) and examine them.  Unless you have a pronounced scoring on a cylinder or maybe a piston, there's no need to do anything more than a ball hone job and new Hastings rings.

I just might do that ..... I'll know by this weekend
  :huepfenlol2:

My motor required a tiny cut (bore) on only the lower part of one cylinder to correct a slight egg-shaped wear pattern, but that was all.

Maybe that's all I'll need too  :2vrolijk_21:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.